close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

finally

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by mc1911, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mc1911

mc1911

Nov 25, 2011
    I got my first AR. It is a basic Rock River. It was between that and a Windham.

Any thoughts on these?

I wanted to stay reasonable , price wise.

2. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    A little backwards don't you think?

What model? What did you pay?

My personal thought is for a general purpose AR RRA is a miss. Windham is still fairly unproven.

3. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Feb 6, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    my buddy loves his rra. in fact i havent really heard much bad about them(besides the fact that theyre not a colt or noveske)

4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    This will be a growing trend because of the election. Buy first, then ask questions...:faint:

Personally, I wouldn't buy either. Dick's Sporting Goods is having a sale on Troy complete carbines at $799 which is currently the best deal out there (quite frankly insane). Colts are $1099 or cheaper at Wal-mart and other big chains. There is just no reason to comprise on anything right now.

However, you've got it now. Buy ammo, magazines, and lube. Get some instruction, and shoot it until something goes wrong.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. mc1911

mc1911

Nov 25, 2011
    $800
    I liked the fit and finish of it compared to the others.

It is a basic 16 " flat top carbine, 6 position stock and A2 front sight.

No Dicks within 100 miles and my son in law is still looking for one.
    We have seen a lot of Windham adds lately. When buying firearms , I tend to go with my gut feeling.Sometimes it is good sometimes not.

6. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    OP I have an RRA M4 1:7 gov't profile CL and it is my most shot 16" AR, albeit heavily upgraded from stock. I have around 11k rounds through it with few issues, no more or less than my other rifles. It is just as reliable and more accurate than my LMT rifles. They are thought of as "second tier" rifles by most of the internet but I have shot the snot out of mine and it has been nothing but great. I have taken it to several classes over the years and it has been my dedicated hog/coyote rifle for a long time. Shoot it, enjoy it, most of the nay sayers don't even own one.

[​IMG]

7. So far I like my Rock River national match just fine. Runs good, no jams. I'm working on my shooting, but it seems capable of going below 1 MOA.

I can never live up to some hypothetical internet standard. Some people only like a Colt or a clone of a Colt. I think Rock River doesn't consider istself a mil-spec clone.

If you like their design and they run good, that should be all that is important :)

8. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    My buddy has a 6.8 RRA that was 'custom' built by them. It's been 100% reliable so far, but he's selling it. I don't know if that tells you anything or not.

I think people tend to stay away from RRA because they aren't milspec. Just because something isn't milspec doesn't mean it isn't reliable, accurate, and a good deal. And just because something isn't milspec doesn't mean it's not complete junk either. I don't think RRA puts out junk, but i'm not sure if i'd be lining up to get one. But at $800, you could have gotten a lot worse. Congrats and shoot the piss out of it!

9. The important question is, what are you going to use it for. I'm sure it will be all the rifle you need.

I guess the kids are miffed you didn't seek their recommendation :)rofl::rofl:) before buying.

But if you want to know what the kids have against it, go here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

10. mc1911

mc1911

Nov 25, 2011
    Plinking ,range use varmint and vermin control.

And maybe self defense, if the need arises.

I am looking at maybe 1000 rounds per year.

I have another question. What are the first tier AR manufactures? Baer, Colt etc?

11. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Noveske, Larue, LMT, LWRC, KAC, Colt, BCM and a select few others. When I think 'top tier' I don't think of Baer, but that's just because they are custom. Anything 'custom' is inherently better quality.

12. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Rock River Rifles tend to have better than average accuracy, so if you are really committed to marksmanship, you can really get a lot from your new AR. They are also often good choices for someone interested in varmint and small game hunting. Find an Appleseed event or NRA class to get grounded in the fundamentals of marksmanship and shoot that thing!

13. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    There a few custom outfits that are not inherently of good quality. Wilson and Baer are good quality, but just because a custom maker buys a few glossy ads in Black Rifle Magazine doesn't mean anything.....

Also top tier are JP Enterprises, and Daniel Defense.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    You would make a good psych study.

You should be good.

Some of the better producers are Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske, Larue, and a couple others.

Is that what you meant? When I think custom I think bubba in the garage piecing together a YHM/DPMS/zombie mess.

15. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    By custom, i meant custom/precision machined. Not 'custom' built like pieced together by some goof in his garage like me.

16. mc1911

mc1911

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone.

If something noteworthy happens , I will post the news.

The staking links are outstanding.

17. My Rock River seems to be staked just fine.

How is yours?

18. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    There are a lot of "custom" AR-15 makers out there that produce crap out of a shop. These are mostly small groups trying to capitalize on the new market boom.

19. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    RRA makes quality rifles, the RRA upper I own has been top notch in every regard.

You did good, enjoy the rifle. :cool:

20. After 10 minutes with me, my therapist committed suicide.