close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Finally shot my new 686, ? on ammo

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by garyo, Jun 2, 2011.

1. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    NC USA
    It sure is a good shoot'n smooth revolver. I have the 6" model. I was testing some Double Tap SD ammo, which is very good ammo, and had a question for those more knowledgeable about .357 Mag than me. I love their 10MM in my converted G21 by the way. Any way, they seem to have a couple of good SD sizes:125 Gr. SJHP at 1605 fps. and 158Gr. SJHP at 1410 fps. Both are from a 4" barreled gun.

I know on my j-frame 340 that you should avoid the 125s as they can promote faster forcing cone wear, would that be the same for the 686? I really can't see shooting either one regularly as I will just use them for SD. I have been practicing with GA 38 Spcl. 125Gr. at 950 fps and they seem the ideal round to practice with. But they are the 125s and I am concerned about premature forcing cone erosion.

So anybody have a good opinion on all this?

Thanks,
    Gary

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    The Forcing cone and general construction of the L frames like the 686 was designed specifically to overcome durability issues suffered by the lighter K frame using 125gr full powered ammo, so you should be fine there.

3. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    NC USA
  4. deleted. Meant to start new thread.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    It was my understanding that with the Scandium frames you didn't want to load too light of a bullet in .357 mag because the recoil is so violent the lighter bullets (read shorter, less neck tension) have a greater tendency to jump their crimp and potentially lock up the gun. If you can shoot enough mag loads from your 340 to damage the forcing cones, you are a better man than I. Hated my 360 and full house loads.

Shoot whatever the heck you like out of the 686.

6. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    NC USA
    Zombie Steve,

I hear ya. I have only shot a handful of magnum loads in my 340, not fun at all! I carry GA .38 Spcl +P they shoot real nice in the j-frames. I can make a head shot at about 30 feet, real controllable ammo.