close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally Picked up my AR!!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by RyanBDawg, Jan 18, 2013.

1. vettely

vettely
    Expand Collapse

Looks very nice (except the grip). Try a magpul grip.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

Ammo bought.. Will put some rounds though it and let you guys know. Ill be using 50 grain American eagle .223.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. bug

bug
    Expand Collapse

Holly crap where did you get this ammo you speak of???

4. cesaros

cesaros
    Expand Collapse

.22 rifles typically have issues because they aren't built with the same QA and high standards as a semi-auto combat rifle.

the majority of .22 issues stem from ammo/magazines. One type of ammo that works amazingly in a Ruger, might be god aweful in a Mossberg.

to get a .22 AR to work as well as a 5.56 AR, you'd have to spend as much as that 5.56 AR.

#24 cesaros, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  5. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

Place called Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville AL. (Same place i bought my AR) They have tons of ammo, but are sticking to a strict X number of boxes per person per day limit. Also picked up 525 rounds of .22, and 300 rounds of 9mm..

Ill be back in a day or two and buy more.

Don't know how they have it but they have the hook up. ARs, AKs, tons of every type of ammo, mags, NFA class 3 etc..

You could buy 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 for a little under 300 I saw.

#25 RyanBDawg, Jan 20, 2013
  6. Gunny Lingus

Gunny Lingus
    Expand Collapse
    Think it moved

You didn't mention anything about principles of QA for anything. You just spewed that rifles and shotguns are different.

My point was that quality control processes within a company will be commonplace from one product to the other. The techniques of quality control will be employed on all products, instead of just one. If Mossberg has a strong, WE Deming styled quality assurance program on it's shotguns, why wouldn't they apply it to their rifles?

If you knew anything about the actual quality control processes in manufacturing you would understand.

For instance: Torque settings are checked and charted a few times an hour. That way if something is falling out of spec., it is caught and corrected before dozens of units are made. The operator can see failing trends developing and can get freshly calibrated and accurate tools, or components, before they fall too far out of spec., causing substandard units to be made.

Fanboyism aside, it stands to reason that if Mossberg is checking and charting torques on a regular basis with their shotguns, then they will bring that same program to their rifle manufacturing. That's how companies establish a reputation.

If it was known that Mossberg is farming out manufacturing to another company, and the didn't have a similar QA process, it would be a different story. The Walther P22 is a good example. Production is farmed out, and the product isn't as high quality. The early SW99's were a disaster.

If a company has thin tolerances for it's parts from suppliers and workmanship on one product, why would they not on the other?

Nope. Don't own a ipod. And I never upgrade to another version of Windows before the first service pack is released.

#26 Gunny Lingus, Jan 20, 2013
  7. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn
    Expand Collapse
    Got Pignose?

OP, if you don't mind and just for ****s and grins, post some pics of the gas key staking, castle nut staking, etc. And, if the bolt is MPI, feed ramps, etc.

I've never really drank that Kool Aid, but it would be interesting to know how they "stack up" to the perceived mil-spec standards.

8. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

Here ya go..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Made in Austria

Made in Austria
    Expand Collapse

Looks very nice! I am just curious, is there a small step between the receiver rail and the hand guard rail? Or is it just a optical illusion? If there is step you can align the rail better with the upper receiver rail because the hand guard rail might push down on the gas tube, this can cause premature gas tube/gas key wear because the gas tube cannot move up if the kas key/bolt carrier wants to push it up. But I am not sure how that rail is designed on the inside, there might be plenty of clearance. But it's worth checking. Aligning the rail nicely will give you probably less sight tweaking when you zero it in at the range. Enjoy your new rifle and take good care of it!

#29 Made in Austria, Jan 20, 2013
  10. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

No, it's just because the very last rail on the receiver is slightly raised, making it look that way in the photo. It lines up fine.

#30 RyanBDawg, Jan 20, 2013
  11. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn
    Expand Collapse
    Got Pignose?

Imagine what a ****fest this would be if the gas keys hadn't been well staked. The silence is deafening.

Now go put a couple thousand rounds into a stump, and let us know how reliable it is. :rofl:

Looks like you have a fine rifle.

#31 Rooster Rugburn, Jan 20, 2013
  12. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:

Yeah that would have been a stew for sure.

13. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

Ha thanks!

Mossberg has multiple weapon systems deployed by militaries (including our own) around the world, as well as with hundreds if not thousands of police departments around the country..

Internet commandos love to stick up their noses at new products. (Especially when it comes to the AR platform)

The same thing happened when S&W came out with their AR. Now that it is used by a number of police departments you don't hear those people anymore.

#33 RyanBDawg, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  14. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

True enough. Brand names run very strong with some AR people. It's odd to see the battles that go on sometimes over brands in this sub forum when many of the same components make up the rifles in the debate. :dunno:

Heck these days a guy is just lucky to find a AR near MSRP :wavey:

#34 Ruggles, Jan 20, 2013
  15. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

That's for damn sure!

16. aptrpl6

aptrpl6
    Expand Collapse
    Detached Member

It should also be noted that the "Mossberg Tactical 22" isn't even remotely based on the AR-15 with the exception of cosmetics. It's based on the "Mossberg 702 Autoloader". In my experience, they both run just fine. OP, enjoy that new rifle!

17. kalashluvr

kalashluvr
    Expand Collapse

Larry is doing something right! I've been looking for an XDs and lo and behold walk in and he has multiples. In a bit concerned because the inspection and test fire date has 1/12/2012 stamped on the envelope.....maybe the inspector hasn't flipped the date on the stamp ??

18. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney
    Expand Collapse
    Instructor #298

One of our collaborating instructors bought his daughter a Mossberg AR when she took our NRA Rifle Instructor Course. The rifle could not be zeroed. We finally figured out that the windage adjustment on the rear sight was wandering around upon recoil, so we put a RDS on it. Although we were able to zero it somewhat with the RDS, it was one of the least accurate AR's that we have ever run across, shooting 6-8 inch groups with everything. Hopefully their QC has gotten better.

19. tampashooters

tampashooters
    Expand Collapse
    Shellback

20. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

I read several reviews before I bought it. All of them had no problem with accuracy.

Hopefully it is just an aberration.