close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally had it checked out...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by pal2511, Apr 21, 2011.

1. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

I had been complaining of lower back pain for quite some time. I had accompanying pain in my stomech that would subside after I ate food or sometimes get worse if I had an empty stomech. It hurt real bad yesterday and I could not get comfortable at all during work.

Went to emergency clinic today and Dr thought I have Ulcer(s) in stomech. Blood work and such were done.

Dr. said lower back pain is VERY common with ulcers so for you guys with aching backs it might be something to think about

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

That's no fun man. You losing weight? How have you been doing with food and pop?

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

Gallbladder pain can also cause pain below the shoulder blade. Appendix pain can cause back pain as well. Apparently the nerves can run near each other. I am switching to vicodin from vicoprofen because I was starting to see warning signs of an ulcer. Feel better and follow the doctor's advice. A few days off to destress might help as well.

4. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

K had been eating a ton of pop and junk food so nothing healthy

5. rookie1

rookie1
    Expand Collapse

Stopped at a gas station today. Got a 44oz of Mt. Dew, oreo cakesters, and 2 cookies. Thats my night.

6. Ajon412

Ajon412
    Expand Collapse

Good luck, feel better and keep us posted...:wavey:

Bro, you must be bouncing off the walls all night after eating all those goodies....:rofl:

7. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman
    Expand Collapse

That is a breakfast of champions right there!

8. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Said the same thing about the navel orage (DELICIOUS!), string cheese, and marshmallow Peeps I had before coming in today (a scant ten hours after going home last night).

#8 DaBigBR, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  9. G27Chief

G27Chief
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Rarely known a guy in the field over 10 years without complaint of an ulcer or two. We eat crap when we get a second to grab something, and stress can aid in development of duodenal ulcers.

10. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

I had a coworker off for four days last week for the same thing. He was having back pain, then pain that made him think he was having another heart attack. He gets to the ER, and come to find out, he has an ulcer the size of a peach on his stomach. He said the pain was bad enough to make him short of breath, and simulate the heart-attack symptoms. He's back to work now, and on meds to try to fix it, but it definitely gave him quite a scare.

11. fla2760

fla2760
    Expand Collapse

Did any of you guys with ulcers have antibiotics and or Nexium prescribed?

12. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

They perscribed Ranitidine otherwise known as zantac. Did decent for most of the day but I have been using tylenol like no ones business. Started hurting when I got home today from running errands and what not. I put a heating pad on my back and it felt good. Wish I had a bathtub at my house but I only have a shower. It has only been one day since taking the medication so I have not noticed anything for improvements. I drank a small glass of soda because not having caffine has been driving me crazy and I would rather have a belly ache then a splitting headache. Soda didnt hurt and I didn't hurt till I sat down at home.

My blood tests came back good but I have to take my stool tests yet. I cant take them because you cannot have rare hamburger or steak within 48 hours or it will come up posititve.

Any tips on what not to eat besides caffiene? I ate a ice cream sandwich...that was a mistake. I have been trying to drink water or ginger ale.

13. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

I'd say watch the dairy intake. Milk soothes the stomach but it takes a lot more acid to digest. It's good short term but messes you up worse long term. Did your doctor say anything about using Tums or Gaviscon? If he didnt you might want to contact the office to see if you should use them.

14. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

I guess if they can't kill you with ulcers, they try to starve you.

Best of luck with it; I'm probably only a year, or two, behind you.

15. fla2760

fla2760
    Expand Collapse

Tylenol, at least for me if taken too long has caused stomach lining irritation. Did you try saltines? They seemed to help me somewhat but what really helped was the 40mg of Nexium I take each night before bed. It works best if you allow at least an hour after eating before you take it.

16. volsbear

volsbear
    Expand Collapse
    IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

Good luck with everything, man. I hope they get you squared away.

I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday to start the process of getting some things figured out as well.

17. 25pd

25pd
    Expand Collapse

ULCERS!! its part of the job..............also cut down on job stress if possible. my dad had them and fortunately i skated on ulcers but did have heart problems just before retirement. please take it easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

Dr told me to take tylenol and not ibuprofen. Said tylenol was easier on the stomech. I think I've had too much stress and junk food

Ill end up losing weight guanteerd

19. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

#19 Hack, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  20. puckhead

puckhead
    Expand Collapse

Going in on Thursday to get an ultrasound of my gallbladder. Having back pain like mentioned here. Already take a prescription for acid reflux too. Need to cut out the junk and loose a bit as well.