close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Finally got a 1911!!!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Ocean_glocker, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've been a lurker (in this sub-forum) for a while and I have always been fascinated by the 1911. So I traded into a SA Range Officer! I've done lots of searching and I was drawn to the quality of the fit and finish without paying TRP money.

This is going to be my EDC pistol, so I plan on getting a front night sight and seeing if I can live with the target sight or get the Harrison piece. Being a Lefty get a ambi thumb safety is #1 on my list besides getting to the range.

any recommendation on making this carry friendlier let me know. I will put up picks tomorrow...

Thanks

2. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Congrats! I love my SA Range Officer. Look into replacing the sights. Then with the rest of the money invest in mags, ammo, and range time. Have fun!

3. I had the factory sights replaced with the following,

[FONT=verdana,helvetica]Dawson Precision, [/FONT]020-040 Springfield Armory 1911 Tritium Inserted Front Sight .180 Tall x .125 Wide

Harrison Design, HD-002-T2 Extreme Service rear sight

Awesome SA Ranger Officer!!!

4. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
  5. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    How is the POA/POI with the .180 sight? On harrison's sight he recommends the .140 height for the RO

6. When the Range Officer came out, Harrison did not have that front. I got the recommendation height from SA.

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Don't go cheap on the ambi safety. The only one I've tried and liked is the one made by Caspian that uses a square key,grip tab and modified hammer pin to keep everything solid.

Know that if the grips aren't set-up for an ambi-safety, you'll either have to get some new grips or carve out a notch on the inside since most have that tab.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...ded-safety-ss-sku168-000-108-32437-62298.aspx

Oh BTW, Congrats!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  8. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks I'll look into that one. I have the wilson combat one on my list.. bonus for me is that these grips already have the ambi tab cut-out.

9. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

Apr 27, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Congratulations on your first 1911. You will enjoy it and love it. Advice on carrying? Make sure you get a good holster. A bad holster made me hate a 4 inch 1911, but a good holster made carrying a full size 1911 comfortable. I was befuddled, but it worked.

1911s are really great guns. You will definitely buy more.

10. wingryder

wingryder

Oct 9, 2012
    28.420, -81.171
    Congrats! Beautiful gun! But I notice in the photo, you have 275 rounds of the wrong ammo?!? :whistling:

11. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    The SA Gunsite Service Pistol (bought from a nice forum member) has Ted Yost signature sights. I don't know how much they cost or how long it would take Yost to install them (if he even still WORKS on customer supplied pistols).

12. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    haha... I was wondering how long it would take for someone to pick up on that. That was my stack of 9mm ammo I was selling to buy .45 ammo...

13. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

Apr 27, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Pick a Really Really good holster. I have literally had the same gun in a bad holster and it made me hate the damn gun. In a good holster it feels like nothing is there.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. porschedog

porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
    Congratulations on a great 1911
    I swapped out the grips on mine and ordered a front night sight that I need to install one of these days...

Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  15. GWG19

GWG19

Jan 28, 2012
    Huntsville Al
    The ambi safety is not to hard to do. I have put Wilson or Colt Ambi safeties in 3 of mine. I use a Dremel tool to inlet the grip. Whole thing takes maybe 30 minutes. I have only had to do minor fitting on one of the safeties. It was a little tight for my liking. 5 minutes with a stone and it was good to go.