close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

finally decided on which press...now..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by AWMP, Oct 6, 2012.

1. SBray

SBray

May 5, 2012
    Loomis, California

A great many people buy 550s and never purchase another machine. I have heard that the 550 is purchased more than any other Dillion reloader. It is simple, affordable, and it works! Others want to have more features, and eventually upgrade to the 650. Only you can decide what your needs are.

Whichever machine you finally decide upon, I am sure you will enjoy using it.

Steve

2. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    I was contemplating the same as you a year ago, 550B or 650. In the end, the lower cost of 550B caliber conversions won me over.

Also, I usually sit down to make around 400 rounds an hour or less, so volume for me wasn't worth added cost of the 650 press.

Talk to Brian, he's definitely an authority, and as others have mentioned will only sell you what you can use. He personally talked me out of a few "accessories", and subsequently made a customer for life.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

3. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    I bought my 550B from my LGS. I don't think that I'll go to a 650 any time soon.

4. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Even if you think you want the 650 now or in the future get it now. Having own and used both presses. I would never go back to the 550.

5. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Absolutely. I bought a 550 from brianenos.com a couple years ago and it has been great. If i could do it again, i would've bought the 650 from the start......the case feeder and auto-index is nice.

That being said, i will like having the 550 as well as a 650. The 550 is better for making multiple calibers, but if you shoot mainly one caliber (i shoot mostly .45) the 650 is much nicer IMO.

6. SBray

SBray

May 5, 2012
    Loomis, California
    Well stated! That is the reason I went with the 550. I shoot mostly 45ACP, but still reload a lot of S&W40, and 9mm. If I only shot the 45ACP, I am certain I would have gotten the 650.

Steve