close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally came up with an inexpensive, fun practice load...

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by jeffreybehr, May 22, 2010.

1. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr
    Expand Collapse
    GAPist #1944
    Silver Member

...for my LW-4.5-inch-barreled 32. It's inexpensive because it uses the Berry's 124g. HP bullet that costs only $83/K delivered... http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14476-c11-g8-b0-p0-9mm_124gr_HP.aspx ...and it's fun because it's a HP that explodes waterjugs VERY well. :supergrin:

Mixed-brand nickeled case, F100 primer, 6.7g. Longshot, OAL 1.097", 10' velocity c. 1230fPS. The OAL is a little weird, but it's what my seating die makes it when the die is set to seat 124g. XTPs at 1.14".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used finally in the title because I've tried dozens of loads with 2 other powders I had, Universal and Super Field; none were accurate enough.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. czgunner

czgunner
    Expand Collapse

Cool!
    Thanks for sharing!
    I'm always looking for new loads.

3. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr
    Expand Collapse
    GAPist #1944
    Silver Member

cz, you're welcome. That 6.7g. is somewhat 'magic'; charges lighter and heavier made bigger groups, and that judgement is based on substantially more than one group. :embarassed:

4. Brent10mm

Brent10mm
    Expand Collapse

thanks jeff, might have 2 use this... I have used berry's quite a bit lately and cant complain. longshot is another fav.

5. leeward419

leeward419
    Expand Collapse

Do you have any problems utilizing nickel cases?
    I have been getting excellent accuracy with alliant blue dot and power pistol; I will have to give longshot a try.

I have had a little glob of what looks like lead form at the muzzle of the barrel along with a lead colored streak in the barrel using the berry bullets. I have shied away from using them in my Glock standard barrel. I have tried lightening up the crimp to a minimum but still getting some leading. No problem in a KKM barrel. Do you use the Berrys in a glock barrel? What kind of crimp die are you using. From the photo it looks like you dont use much crimp Thanks in advance for any info on this.

#5 leeward419, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr
    Expand Collapse
    GAPist #1944
    Silver Member

1. I've had no problems with nickeled cases; in fact I prefer them as requiring a bit less effort to resize and they don't get powder stained as much as brass cases.
    2. Haven't tried either of those; I started reloading the 357 with powders I already had--Longshot, Super Field, and Universal--and added one-pounders of 800-X and Accurate 5 and 7.
    3. I use a Lone Wolf 4.5" barrel in my 32. I've noticed no globs of anything at the end of my barrel.
    4. All dies are Lee, the standard 3-piece set. Yes, very little crimp. I've recently started outside chamfering the case mouths and adjusted the crimp dies down about 1/8" at the 'circumference' of the locknut.
    [​IMG]

I recently received a new CED M2 chrono and reshot these; 1184FPS with 1st screen at 10'; SD (16) was much lower, and accuracy was as high as any of the 7-different loads I shot 21 5-shot groups with.

7. leeward419

leeward419
    Expand Collapse

Thank You so much for the info and close up pictures of the loads, Look great, I will be needing to get a KKM barrel for my 32., I have one for my G33 (aka G27 with G33 Barrel) and I dont have the issue with that. I will aslo be experimenting with lightening up the crimps some more.
    THanks again!

#7 leeward419, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010