close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally...1st reloads range report

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dirtyjoe, Aug 8, 2010.

1. dirtyjoe

dirtyjoe
    Expand Collapse

Been a long time but finally have some results for you guys. First let me say thanks to all of you for the advice and help.
    I loaded 7 rounds each of 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 & 5.0 grs using Federal brass, CCI primers, Bullseye powder, and Rainier 230 gr hp. Loaded on a LCT press with Lee dies.
    I dressed the "old girl" (Colt 1911 45acp) in her finest smooth cocobolo's and slipped her into a soft rug, loaded up the Mazdzaratti truck with the rest of my gear and headed to the old abandoned police dept range.
    shot all from a rest at 25 yards aiming at 6 o'clock on the bullseye.
    First I shot 7 rounds of Winchester white box: 6 on paper, high and left 4.912" spread.
    4.6 grs: 5 on paper, high and left 4.745" spread
    4.7 grs: 5 on paper, 3 centered & 2 high and left 5.986" spread
    4.8 grs: 6 on paper, all centered, 1 bullseye, 5.280" spread
    4.9 grs: Something bad happened here. 4 on paper high and left over 6" spread.
    5.0 grs: 7 on paper, all centered, 1 bullseye, 5.322" spread
    Looks like the old girl likes 4.8 grs and 5.0 grs the best. I have since loaded 50 of each of those and will try them next at 15 yds free hand. 25 yds is a long way for my old eyes. Will let you guys know how they turn out.
    One of the guys I work with had a G31 and wanted a G33 so I ordered one and we traded. So you guys get ready to advise me on 357 sig soon. I have ordered the dies and have already received a pound of AA9 and Hornady 9mm XTP. Anybody got any extra cash you can float me for supplies since ya'll got me into this mess........ dirtyjoe

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Congratulations.

Sounds like it liked 4.6 grains the best, though...