close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fiber optic front sites

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by lowdog, Aug 15, 2010.

1. lowdog

lowdog
    Expand Collapse

I am running iron sites on my 17 and have a serious problem hitting the texas star. I used a friends gun with fiber optic fronts and ran the star clean. Just wondering what you guys would suggest for front sites. thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ctkenc

ctkenc
    Expand Collapse

Dawson Precision ... their FO Front Sights use a very thin FO Rod that is the brightest I've seen and it works great on my G17

3. AgentM79

AgentM79
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Hitting or missing won't be affected by the presence of a fiber-optic dot, white-paint/insert dot, or a tritium insert. The overall regulation of the sights determines practical accuracy. The "decoration" on the sights determines how quickly you pick them up. In other words, your "iron sights" may be off (you didn't mention the manufacturer), whereas your friend's gun may have properly regulated sights. Remember that the Glock rear sight can determine windage AND elevation (can be drifted left and right, and four different rear sight heights are available). The diameter of the rear sight opening and/or diameter of the front sight body may also make for a more visible sight picture.

Just my 2C.

4. AZBru88

AZBru88
    Expand Collapse

AmeriGlo makes a red one that I just put on all my Glocks. I had TruGlo's but the AmeriGlo's are thinner.
    TruGlo..... .14"
    AmeriGlo.. .10"

Very quick to pick up and are delivered with a front sight tool included.

5. AgentM79

AgentM79
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Hi-Viz makes a good fiber optic front sight. They now offer serrated sight faces and a square sight shape. I have an earlier red Hi-Viz which has a circular front sight shape (the top is round as opposed to flat; these are no longer available). I needed a higher Glock steel rear sight to maintain proper regulation for elevation. While the Hi-Viz sight is not the brightest, it is likely the most durable - their LE versions are "overmolded", with a clear shield enveloping the sight element. Mine has held up for several years. Just NEVER use any spray cleaner/degreaser on a fiber optic sight unless it says "polymer safe" of the container. It will melt/cloud the sight face.

6. JBP55

JBP55
    Expand Collapse

I currently have several with the Ameriglo FO front and plain black metal rear and they work well for me.

#7 JBP55, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

I have the Dawson FO adjustable sights on a G-20, very quick to pick up, and the narrow width of the front adds to precision shooting. Front is .285" tall and .100" wide.
    I reversed the colors, put the green up front and the red in the rear because green shows up brighter to me, especially on cloudy days.

8. ede

ede
    Expand Collapse
    Bama's Friend

i like the FO fronts for run and gun games. for Action Pistol and GSSF i use a solid front. FO fronts are fairly cheap, try one and see how it works for you. i run a fixed Heinie rear on all my glocks,

9. 45_Gap

45_Gap
    Expand Collapse

I like the Tru-Glo fiber optic sights.

10. AZBru88

AZBru88
    Expand Collapse

I forgot to add that I have stock Glock rear sights on two of mine and on the other three I have the green TruGlo rears. To tell you the truth I like the stock rears with the AmeriGlo red fronts. I haven't changed my green rears yet, want to shoot both some more.

11. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

Best FO sight in my opinion. Much more durable than loose fiber sights.

12. AgentM79

AgentM79
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Agreed. The Hi-Viz overmolds are "on-duty" reliable. I wouldn't want a loose/uncovered FO tube on a service weapon. Some of the manufacturers ARE ingenious about recessing the sight elements, though. But, you can't lose with the Hi-Viz. My Gen2 G17 has a 6.9 Glock steel rear sight and the overmold Hi-Viz red front. S&W is still making revolvers with Hi-Viz fronts, too. They made a memorable 3.2" M66 revolver as a "stocking dealer special" several years back. It had the green overmold FO front and a V-notch black steel rear sight. It's a good gun.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm
    Expand Collapse

I use both Dawson Precisions and Warren Tacticals, both are outstanding quality.

14. Duck of Death

Duck of Death
    Expand Collapse

*QUOTE*
    have a serious problem hitting the texas star.

Well hell pard you aren't alone. Shoot the top plate 1st and try for minimal movement.

I use a Dawson Precision F/O front sight that is .160 high, this will match up w/the 6.5mm rear that comes on a G17. Sounds like you have after market sights so look thru their selection for the proper front sight height.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C99-1278686009

They come w/a red bar installed, switch to the green, the eye picks up green better than red.

15. lowdog

lowdog
    Expand Collapse

Yes the star is an evil evil prop. Thanks for the replies folks think I will be ordering the Dawson.

16. Duck of Death

Duck of Death
    Expand Collapse

#17 Duck of Death, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  17. lowdog

lowdog
    Expand Collapse

gives me nightmares and the cold swets just looking at it. :wow:

18. f150man

f150man
    Expand Collapse

+1

I use the .093" wide Hi-Vis on my G35.

19. gladi8r

gladi8r
    Expand Collapse

Where you located if you are in texas dawson precision is in jarrell you can take it down there and ask the nice lady at the front for a nickel tour, also talk to one of the techs about front sight width and height they run a class a operation down there.