close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU- I just inadvertently bought lead 10mm for my G29.

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by FuerGrissaOstDrauka, Feb 9, 2010.

1. FuerGrissaOstDrauka

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
    Expand Collapse

There is one store in a tri-county area that had one box of 10mm ammo. I asked what it was, and I was told FMJ. When I got that, the guy is closing the store. I tell him I called about the 10mm ammo so he opens back up, goes inside and rings me up. I get home only to realize that the american eagle 180gr I thought was FMJ is in fact lead.

Yay, now I have 50 rounds of 10mm ammo I can't shoot.

:crying:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 FuerGrissaOstDrauka, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. LoadedTech

LoadedTech
    Expand Collapse

If its only 50 rounds you'll be ok. just clean your barrel when your done. And save your brass.

3. FuerGrissaOstDrauka

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
    Expand Collapse

I made a point never to shoot lead in any of my glocks.. I've heard there's some people that do it.. I suppose if I cleaned it very well it could be ok, but I'm paranoid!

I'll have to dig up some old threads here on GT on the subject.

4. PATRICE

PATRICE
    Expand Collapse
    . . . . .

#4 PATRICE, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  5. leadslinger13

leadslinger13
    Expand Collapse

i am with you. Never have seen anything but fmj...

http://www.aeagle1.com/

#5 leadslinger13, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  6. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper
    Expand Collapse
    TX Open Carrier

I am pretty sure you bought some reloads.

7. Chizzy

Chizzy
    Expand Collapse

I can attest to the fact that American Eagle does / did indeed make 10mm Auto ammunition in a 180 grain lead bullet configuration.

I just had a friend pick me up 8 boxes of the stuff for $17.50 Canadian / box from an army surplus store. :supergrin:

The boxes are old and faded. The only date that I can find on the box is a copyright symbol from 1991. I hope that this stuff will still go boom.

Regards,

Chizzy

8. FuerGrissaOstDrauka

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
    Expand Collapse

yeah, it has a copyright 1991 on it. Must be old crap.

Here's a picture of it, excuse the fuzziness, my new cell phone doesn't have the auto focus my old one did, rendering it basically useless for all intensive purposes.

[​IMG]

No. AE 10 below the lead bullet 180gr part.

9. weiserthanu

weiserthanu
    Expand Collapse

I actually have three boxes of the same crap. Bought it from the dealer when I got my G20. It was all the 10mm ammo he had but I haven't had the guts to shoot it either. Guess I'll just keep it on hand just in case.

10. FuerGrissaOstDrauka

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, how much did you pay? I'm positive I overpaid for these (thinking they were FMJ).

I'm holding onto it for now because it's the only 10mm I have. I'd rather have some than none in some weird situation where I'd actually need the gun loaded even though I have like 5 more loaded guns laying around. Yay for paranoia.

11. weiserthanu

weiserthanu
    Expand Collapse

$23.99/50 rd. box.

12. Myself

Myself
    Expand Collapse

My feeble old memory says the Federal 180 gr. lead bullet was a high antimony alloy. If that is indeed the case it will be harder than plain lead and not overly subject to the leading problem that mucks up Glock factory rifling.

I would not be afraid to shoot it in small batches if you clean well afterward. After market barrels should be fine.

13. LEAD

LEAD
    Expand Collapse

If I was you, I'd shoot a mag full either by themselves or at the end of a range session, then clean before shooting more. I say only a mag full so you are very unlikely to get any consequences of the leading. You must find a solvent that will work good at lifting the lead.

14. slims00ls1z28

slims00ls1z28
    Expand Collapse

Is 10mm that hard to find? I went to bass pro this morning to grab some. They had several boxes of remington FMJ at 26$ a box (50). No one locally (even the gun shops) carry much for defensive loads but Bass Pro had several of those and so does one other gun shop locally. I'm going to clean them out next time I get a chance then.

15. leadslinger13

leadslinger13
    Expand Collapse

Hey i have a great idea. I have an aftermarket barrel for my 20 so i can shoot lead. I would be more than happy to have you all send me those pesky lead rounds and i promise to dispose of them in a properly. I won't even charge a disposal fee. LOL

16. hill billy

hill billy
    Expand Collapse
    Head Case

Shoot them. Your barrel will be fine.

17. Chizzy

Chizzy
    Expand Collapse

I also have an after market barrel for my G20SF as well as a S&W 610 and a Dan Wesson C.B.O.B. I think I should be able to safely dispose of them without any ill effects. Thank you for your kind offer. :cool:

Regards,

Chizzy

18. telecster

telecster
    Expand Collapse

tell me where it says not to shoot lead. I have a new G20 and have gone through all the materal, nothing on lead. The only thing is on reloads. Everything I have read also states lead starts to deposit after 1100-1250 fps.

19. Rob Oertel

Rob Oertel
    Expand Collapse

I had about six boxes of the AE lead 10mm and shot it all without any problem through my G20. I am one of those that cleans after every range session. Also found that ammo to be very smokey and dirty.

20. FuerGrissaOstDrauka

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
    Expand Collapse

Update: took the ammo back today and used the refund money to pay for my next FFL transfer; a third gen G20 I'm trading for a third gen factory refurb g17!

Also, I found a store by my parents that has 6 boxes of 10mm AE FMJ (I made sure to have them double check), so my dad's gonna swing by and buy 'em out of stock for me.

All is well!