close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

fergerson mo police caliber

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Rugar Fan, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I am not trying to Mmqb, Leo's always get their panties in a wad when some simple truths are pointed out. Not knowing all the facts, I can't really say he did just fine, neither can anyone else.:dunno:

2. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I just did.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

3. sgtbones

sgtbones

Mar 7, 2010
    Very true I made that statement without all the facts. Heard some different facts the next day. Facts in the officers favor.

4. 9L0ck

9L0ck

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    My guess would be (Monday Morning Quarter Back)

5. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Then your measuring stick is diff than mine.

6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I do not remember the grain and I have thousands of customers in my data base so finding them is way too much work.

Also the guys from St Louis City buy ammo from me. They buy the RA9T and RA9B. Guys that buy the T say the guys that buy the Bonded are buying the wrong ammo for duty. Guys that buy the Bonded say the T guys are buying the wrong ammo.

7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
  8. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    I talked to a friend today and confirmed: Ferguson issues Sig 226 in 40s&w. They did not have a clue on the bullets carried or the weight.

9. mongo356

mongo356

Aug 18, 2004
    IL
    Not trying to be an *** but considering his eyesocket was just bashed in shooting seemed to get adequate pdq.........I know what your trying to say though.

My experience about 1/3 seem to practice & do well. But trigger time isn't the entire ball of wax.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  10. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    No but consider ones entire career can be Make or break on one single incident. If you are a marginal shooter on the range, you won't rise to the occasion in combat, just not gonna happen. If that mindset were true, then he elite police & military would be fine with quals 3-4x a year. Consider maybe 98% of all Leo, even fewer ccw, will ever get into a gunfight, opinions will very & have little to do with an actual fight exp. to say that is say those 98% of Leo aren't ready just because they have not yet been in a fight.
    I have Leo training, so it's not like I don't understand rules of engagement. IMO, he messed up big time engaging anyone from inside his car. He limited his options & it nearly cost him his life, may still cost him his career. The shooting portion was really academic. I just responded to someone calling a lucky headshot some conclusion as to his ability. The autopsy pretty much shows, IMO, the Vic was struck in the head while falling forward. Not sure how you get that shot any other way.:dunno:
    Again, not hacking on Leo, I am always glad when we get some out on the range with us & they usually see how valuable dynamic practice in something like idpa can enhance their training & upgrade their shooting. Your gun handling needs to be automatic. If you are thinking about your shooting, then your tactical awareness is going to suffer. You don't get that by not pulling the trigger often. This goes for Leo or ccw types. Practice like you expect a fight, then if it happens, your chance of survival will only get better.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  11. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    Just remember, shooting paper is one thing, shooting someone attacking you is definitely another...

I invite anybody here to shoot my agencies qualification. If you can make it through the first phase, I'd be surprised. Make sure you're in well enough physical condition to pop out the first twenty five push-ups.

12. six rounds on a big target, getting bigger fast, with a busted up orbital socket! ( smashed face)

sounds like good defensive shooting to me:cool:

13. Blackhawk556

Blackhawk556

Apr 15, 2012
    I haven't looked into this story much but, if the chip has a broken eye socket, I really don't see how he did wrong.

14. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

Jun 10, 2006
    p.a.
    Well do YOU think a "unarmed man" should walk for robbing a store & then trying to attack & disarm and take a LEO firearm?? (He most likely would have killed the LEO) If he got his gun. When the truth comes out I am willing to bet that this guy is nothing but a thug.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  15. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes. You have to look at the event in whole, not in part. Under ordinary circumstances, was the officer particularly proficient in shooting Brown? Maybe not. In THESE circumstances where the officer has just sustained a blow to the head significant enough to break bones? Yeah.... I'd say he did fine.
    Of course not. He should definitely NOT walk for shooting an unarmed man.

I think he should dance a friggin' jig.

16. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door
    When the investigation is complete if it shows the officer story is true yes indeed.

Anyone including George Zimmerman should walk in a similar case. However in this case I think you're going to see more substantial injuries and better physical evidence to back up the officers claims.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Haven't read the whole thread, maybe this has been posted already.

What was the total number of rounds fired?

If people are grousing because he got 6 hits and only two good ones, they are misinformed. I believed it was common knowledge that generally it is not uncommon to have more misses than hits.

If he got 6 hits out of 6 shots, even if only 2 were good hits, he's at the head of the class even with a busted up eye socket.

I believe it was NYC that published their stats, and the hit rate was well below 50%.

Randy

chemboy likes this.
  18. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Why not? What does being unarmed have to do with it?

Should the LEO have offered him a weapon to make it a fair fight?

Seeing as he had tried to arm himself with the officers weapon once already, and was approaching at a high rate of speed while at gunpoint, the obvious implication was he planned to take the officer's gun this time also. Plus the guy was huge and had beat him up pretty good moments ago in the car.

If those assumptions turn out to be true, he should get a commendation for shooting an unarmed man.

People focusing on just the fact he was unarmed have blinders on. The question is whether he is posing an imminent threat of great bodily harm or death. Having a weapon is only one of various ways to do that.

Randy

19. James Dean

James Dean

Jan 31, 2010
    East of Eden
    The head shot could also prove that Brown was charging towards the officer. From what I've heard he fell face first a few feet away from Wilson. Put yourself in the officers place. Your alone, You get into a serious confrontation with two guys, assaulted by a guy as big as Brown forced to shoot and this guy keeps coming. Its like something out of a made for TV movie, or a bad dream. Either way you have to live with it for the rest of your life. I'm glad I own a Dairy Queen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.