close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Feelings on the new '05 mustang

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by epsylum, Mar 17, 2005.

1. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    I want to hear what people think about the new Mustang, good or bad. I however don't want any *hillybilly voice* "FORD SUCKS!!" or "FOUND ON ROADSIDE DEAD!" or even "IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE CHEVY SUCKS!!"

Personally, I do wish they had come up with a new style to push the car on into the future, but they masterfully pulled off the retro touch. The body style it emulated is by almost anyone's standards the best looking style of the mustang (not many pushing for a retro Mustang II ;f ). All the retro stuff Ford is doing does let me believe that Ford is doing whatever it can to get back into the performance market it seemed to leave for a while. At least they are picking good looking cars from thier past (GT40, Shelby cobra, shelby daytona coupe, late 60's mustang, etc) they could have picked the Edsel for crying out loud.

Oh sorry, Pontiac already remade that, they called it the Aztek.;f

Oh here are some pics of modified 05's that make me think this is going to be great model for Ford.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chris93473

chris93473

Aug 21, 2002
    Illinois
    i went to the chicago auto show last feb. and i checked out the new Saleen S281-E. the moment i touched the car i feel inlove with it. and just over $50k you can actually have a car with 500horses. damn i love that saleen.

they can slam ford all they want but i've seen, felt, and test drove the newer ford cars. the quality seems to be alot better. interior materials seems more upscale and they do sound more refined. i'll admitt i don't know how they will hold up on the long run.

3. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    I typically don't like Fords, but the new Mustang is a beautiful car. It's amazing how they pulled off the retro and the modern look at the same time.

4. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    Good-looking car. Chassis feels good, interior quality a step up.

The car is a little heavy though.

More front seat space, bigger trunk, less rear seat room.

They engine is a winner too, the shifter feels good and is in the right spot, finally.

I don't care for the cable-less throttle. Just don't get much feedback, even less with the computer adjusting your input when the revs go high or traction falls off. (Even with traction control off) These habits can be programmed out though.

The stock exhaust sounds real good. A little louder then the too-quiet previous models.

I don't like the stock wheel options. Just don't look right to me.

I haven't driven a 4.0 6-banger yet so I can't comment on those.

JMO-Ron3

5. Ghetto

Ghetto Still alive

May 8, 2004
    Houston
    I like them a lot,the cars are heavy but there's already one running 11.0s.

I'd buy one if I was in the market.

6. CGuns

CGuns

Jan 4, 2005
    I typically don't like Ford's either, but, it is a beautiful car and classy/retro to boot. Good work Ford! They need it!

Rgds, CGuns

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Interesting that this thread came up. Last night I went and test drove a subcontractor's brand new Mustang V8. Here are my thoughts on it:

Looks - objectively speaking it's a good looking vehicle. Intellectually speaking it's a tragedy for Ford because it shows me that their design group is so incompetent that they had to harken back to a gorgeous design forty years ago for a new car.

Interior - subjectively speaking, I hate the dash. I hated the dash on the old 'Stangs and I hate it now. It's not easy to read and interprete the tach and speedo at a glance. The multihue backlight is nifty but just a gimmick to me. Maybe if I were of the Gen Y crowd who are all hip in neons and electronics, it may appeal to me. The rest of the interior reflect Ford's current design which is simply plain and without any interesting curves. Material looks and feels as cheap as ever. BUT the seats are a great improvement over the last Mustang seats.

Driving Experience - The stick is way better than before but no comparison to Honda or Toyota. Notchy and rough, but it's a vast improvement over the older slosh bucket. At least you can find the gears easily enough. To be fair, it's probably about the same feel as a WRX or an Evo.

Good power. 300 horses and boocoo torque ain't no chump change in anybody's book. But typical American engine performance - not really that much oomph for displacement. Still ain't bad.

Suspension feel and feedback is dramatically better than the old rustbuckets. Too much body lean in the corner and the shocks and springs feel sluggish in response to car's direction changes. Steering is still numb and incommunicative though not quite as bad as before It'd be interesting to see the next generation of Mustang Cobra with independent rear suspension. The leaf springs on the standard Mustangs are much better tuned than the older generation but still ain't that great comparing to other sporty car although I do understand that most Mustang owners are more interested in dragging instead of road course and that's what Ford caters to.

Overall, a vast improvement over the older generation (you can only do so much to a 30-years-old chassis that was mediocre right from the beginning).

It, like the predecessor, should be popular with the young crowd because it's cheap oomph and when you're young, that's all that matter - smoking tires at the stoplights and thumping your chests.

Not my cup of tea, but at least it's a big step forward from the old one. Although at nearly $30K (for a loaded V8), the cheesy interior will be hard to justify.

8. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Nov 25, 2001
    I like annoying people.
    I want one, just did not want the house payment to go with it;e

9. ccw_bearcat

ccw_bearcat Cage Fighter

Aug 6, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm thinking hard about getting one. I'll probably have to wait for an 06 GT because I don't think I will be read to buy a new car until some time this summer. They are going to stop making the 05's in May and I was told that all the GT's the local dealer has coming in through April have been pre-sold.

I love the car. The retro styling is great. I'm 24 but I LOVE the mid 60's to early 70's American muscle cars. I would probably throw a blower on it to get it in the 425 rwhp range which would give me strong street drag power but not so much that it really cuts down on longevity and reliability. I would also do some suspension mods to make it handle better and put on some bigg rubber.

10. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    i'm looking forward to a Cobra with an IRS and blower;f

11. How about "F***er Only Runs Downhill"? ;e

12. Ford302Glock21

Ford302Glock21 Chrome Horsie

Dec 3, 2004
    Orlando FL
    I hope it was a typo but the mustang does not have leaf springs. Leaf springs have not been on mustangs since 78. Possibly before 78 I'm not a great deal familiar with the IIs. I think what you meant to say was the solid rear axle is still there but feels alot better than it did in the past.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    I stand corrected. Solid rear axle is what the new one has. Don't know why I said leaf spring. It's probably because I associated leaf springs with solid rear axles. Oopsie!;J

14. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    "Notchy and rough, but it's a vast improvement over the older slosh bucket. "

Well, most shifters either feel "smooth", (aka vague) or "notchy", (aka precise). Or of course, somewhere in between.:)

Ron3

15. Ghetto

Ghetto Still alive

May 8, 2004
    Houston

Not me,a blower and a solid rear for me ;)

My friends stock 99 Cobra broke a halfshaft on Nitto drag radials at the track back in January.He's swapping to a solid rear this weekend :cool:

16. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Nov 25, 2001
    I like annoying people.
    I might be interested in it.

17. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    The '03/'04 Cobra's have stronger halfshafts then the '99 and '01 Cobra's.

The '07 is suppossed to have a solid rear, but we won't know for sure for a while.

They were supposed to show the '07 on March 23rd at New York auto show, but now they are just going to show some Shelby Mustang or something.

Ron3

18. magsnubby

magsnubby NRA LIFE MEMBER

Apr 24, 2004
    fresno, ca
    When you see an '05 Mustang you know what it is without having to walk around it looking for a name plate. That's why they made it so retro. It's the best looking Mustang since the original.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    Well, most shifters either feel "smooth", (aka vague) or "notchy", (aka precise). Or of course, somewhere in between.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Honda and BMW manual shifters are both smooth and clean. To me smooth doesn't mean vague. Smooth means that the stick travel between gear is clean and intuitive. Snotchy to me means that you have to shove it in instead of just snickety snick gently pushing it into position. A Porsche manual is notchy, a Nissan 350Z manual is very snotchy. Semantics, I suppose.

PS Talk about vague, drive the Subaru WRX and you'll see about both vague AND notchy. I kept missing the 2-3 and 4-5 shifts on those things even after a couple hours of familiarization.

20. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC