close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Feedback on CCI Stingers

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Kahrslinger, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Kahrslinger

Kahrslinger

May 26, 2012
    Just bought some stingers for $6.47 for 50rds..
    I was going to buy a few boxes of thunderbolts @ $1.94 per 50 rds.. I'm at Walmart all the time and every time I go I buy a few boxes of ammo.. Usually .22s, I shoot thunderbolts because they are cheap and my Sig 1911 lives em.. Go figure. I'm always trying new .22 rds. I thought the stingers were in a 100rd box like the mini mags so I decide to get a box of stingers. Wondering why they are $.14 a rd. anyfeed back??

2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Stingers are hyper velocity rounds and therefore command a premium price. Apparently a few less grains of lead and a few more grains of powder costs a lot. :whistling:

3. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    Price is typical. Stingers are a kind of premium ammo, all out velocity/energy, a little long for some chambers, nickel plated cases. Many auto pistols shouldn't get a steady diet of Stingers. Not real accurate in my rifles, my Mark II rarely sees them because they will beat up the take down pin after a while.
    But Stingers shoot like nothing else in my CZ Kadet, they're most accurate in informal 25 yard bench testing, always cycle and give a satisfying 'boom'. Love them.

4. They also have above regular quality primers, so you're less likely to get the characteristic 22LR dud. If I carried a 22LR for SD, I'd put stingers in it.

5. Kahrslinger

Kahrslinger

May 26, 2012
    Anyone use them in any brand of 1911 .22.. I bought a Sig 1911 .22 a few months back and ever since my G19 gen2 and Kahr CW45 have not seen much range time. Also any feedback on the CCI Segmented rds?

6. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Stingers have a slightly longer case than standard .22lr. Some .22lr firearms chamber & fire them fine, some don't. In some .22lr firearms Stingers are more accurate, in others less accurate.

My 10/22 is less accurate with Stingers. My 15-22 loves Stingers. My .22lr handguns don't see a benefit from them.

7. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDokamMFPoI&list=PLA62F9C412133861E&index=16&feature=plpp_video"].22 LR CCI Segmented HP Ammo Test - YouTube[/ame]

8. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    They are high quality, loud, & fun. They run great in my GSG 1911 & sr22.

9. Kahrslinger

Kahrslinger

May 26, 2012
    Great to know.. Will find out tomorrow if mine likes them..

10. Golddog

Golddog

Nov 26, 2003
    Parkton, MD
    Worked reliably and accurately in all my S&W .22 revolvers and in my CZ Kadet. Their ballistics make them the best .22 round for self-defense, if you don't have a better caliber handy.

11. jhertzler

jhertzler

Jan 11, 2009
    Kansas
    Most of my .22s will shoot them fine and they're very hot. However, it has always puzzled me how they can get away with the longer case deal. I don't know how they'd chamber right in some guns. Like, with my Stevens Favorite single shot, Stingers didn't go all the way into battery. There wasn't enough "head space" for them in the chamber. So, one shot blew the rim right off the shell! The case was not adequately supported all the way to the rim. I had to push the spent case (or what was left of it) out of the chamber with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. So watch out. Wear your eye protection! jrh

12. Glock22-007

Glock22-007

Feb 6, 2012
    i would say stingers are my #2 favorite ammo to shoot out of my sig sauer 1911-22 close behind remington thunderbolts.

13. Kahrslinger

Kahrslinger

May 26, 2012
    +1 on the thunderbolts.. My Sig 1911 .22 loves em.. And @ under $2 per 50, my wallet loves em too..

14. Glock22-007

Glock22-007

Feb 6, 2012
    Yes t-bolts are quality and very inexpensive. I can get a brick of 500 at my local gun range for about $13. Also glad to see that I have a sig 1911-22 brother out there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. Kahrslinger

Kahrslinger

May 26, 2012
    Just ran the stingers through my Sig 1911 and man what a blast. The noise and the flame were awesome... They shot a little low compared to mini-mags but grouped much better then my T-Bolts.@25feet . My Sig loved them and chewed right through them without a hiccup. Great fun... Only complaint is that they are a little pricey for a 22lr.. Will def be getting some more of these little guys.. Happy Shootin :)

16. You have another brother here, I just picked my sig 1911-22 up a few days ago. I have put 100 rounds of remington high velocity hollow point golden bullets through it. I LOVE IT.

17. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

Apr 27, 2012
    Hog Jaw, Arkansas
    Stingers are great for a lot of things but not for SD.

They do not have the penetration needed to be a good SD round even by .22LR standards.

The key to a .22LR round being usefull for SD ( or pouching deer ) is penetration.

None of the "Ol' Timers" that I know that pouched deer back in the Day would ever use a HP bullet especially a varmint type bullet.

If I had to use a .22LR pisto for SD I would use the Aquila 60gr SSS load.

18. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I find them to be very accurate out of my Browning BL-22 lever action rifle. I've taken dozens and dozens of gray and red squirrels with Stingers and they are very effective on small game. I've also taken two coyotes using Stingers, both one stop shots at 60-70 yards.