close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Federal XM9HA....479 ft/lbs!!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by cmspeedy, Jan 16, 2010.

1. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Apr 24, 2007
    here, now
    I was thinking about ordering a few boxes of this stuff, but have seen one member that has had bad luck with XM9HA.

Has anyone else shot any yet? It seems like it should be a good loading with a 147g HST clocking along at 1180 fps and giving 479 ft/lbs of energy. WOW!!

It should expand quickly and penetrate very deep.

I am a huge Federal ammo fan and shoot it mostly in all my guns with never a problem. I would be shocked if Federal released a bad batch to the public and risked their good reputation.

Ready to pull the trigger.

2. Renceri

Renceri

Oct 12, 2009
    Wildomar,CA
    i have 4 failure to fire with it.buy it if you like but dont blame me if it wont fire by the time you will use it for self defense.i've shot all of my stock at the range to get over with it.good for plinking though.the recoil is like 127+p+ ranger t.

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __

3. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Apr 24, 2007
    here, now
    OK - I think I'll pass unless yours is an isolated incident. Have you done any mods to your gun? Lightened springs? How many rounds through your XD? Did you appear to have a good strike on the primer? any other FTF's with any other ammo? Did you contact Federal?

4. Renceri

Renceri

Oct 12, 2009
    Wildomar,CA
    i dont have any failure to fire with my other SD ammos.the strike in the primer is deep but i dont know why it did not fire.no mods whatsover,all stock with my xd.my xd has about almost 1,500 rounds.no malfunctions except with this ammo.i did not contact federal anymore as I only have 100 rounds of it before and all has been fired in my local range.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  5. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    If I felt the 9mm needed to be effectively "turbo-charged" to that extent, I'd get a .357SIG and be done with it.

6. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Apr 24, 2007
    here, now
    Yeah loading it the way the Europeans originally intended is stupid. Does a .357 Sig equivalent in size to the G19 also hold 15 rounds? Nope. Go shoot your .45 super and if you don't have anything nice to say - keep your fingers off the buttons.

You obviously feel the need to "turbo charge" the .45 ACP

7. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I'd say that is what 9mm should be.

8. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest

Dec 17, 2008
    Australia
    And how!
    CIP pressure charts have it loaded at very close to the 357sig - its a shame SAAMI decided to cut its nads off - wonder why America did that? ill never get it.

I handload my 9mm's using a 124gn Projectile at 1300fps its not dangerous at all and its not like im turbo-charging it i dont feel, never understand that stupid mentality people come up with 'why not move to a bigger calibre?' simle fact is your going with what works - a 124/125gn projectile moving at 1250fps all the way up to 1450fps works exceptionally well, moving to .40 165gn@ 1150fps or a .45cal @ 950fps wont necessarliy perform better - its a wrong asumption - the idea of moving a .355/.357 projectile faster isnt about getting it to perform like the .40/.45 is just getting the balance that works and has been shown to work well.

Using the 9mm or 357sig to kill alot of animals has proven to me to be better than the other calibres overall - i will admit i like the 357sig because it gets that balance 'easier' but it can be done with the 9mm and id take the 9mm if i could only have 1 gun for that and other reasons.

9. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    Someone's just a little to high strung :upeyes:

10. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    When I was younger I switched to 40 because I thought 9mm was too weak. If I knew what I know now I might not have switched. That being said, if a 40 is loaded to its potential, it blows away the 9mm. I think SAAMI needs to increase the pressure limits and ammo companies need to start loading ammo to its potential. The reason I don't think a lot of companies load to its full potential is because they load for the lowest common denominator of shooter. For most average shooters 9mm +P is a handful. Could you imagine if that was standard 9mm like it should be? :wow: That is my feeling on the matter. I know that 124 grain .355 bullets can be pushed to 1300fps in a 9mm and I know that 165 grain .400 bullets can be pushed to 1225/1250fps in .40S&W. I just wish a main stream ammo company would do it.

11. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest

Dec 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yep could be more to do with litigation and companies too seems all loads have had the same treatment - silly when your consider guns are better built nowdays and last for hundreds of thousands of rounds, the 124gn in the 9mm has had superb performane for nailing animals over the years its a real shame more companies dont pull there finger out and make the loads as there supposed to be.

What i find even scarier is that people here just dont see it - hence they come out say its dangerous to load to that level and tell us hey just move on to a bigger calibre - theres a bit more to it.

I can safely load the 357sig to 1450fps too, same with the 9mm it is safer to keep it a bit lower as far as pressure goes but good to know it can be done.

12. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Acquiring a 10mm will change your mind! Get your 700+ FPE on right now...:rofl:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  13. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest

Dec 17, 2008
    Australia
    Id prefer a a .44

14. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Apr 24, 2007
    here, now
    Looking for feedback - not a worthless opinion.

15. Angry Fist

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Always wanted a .44. Wife used to want that Ruger Alaskan, .454 snubbie!

16. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

Aug 10, 2008
    NC,USA
    agreed!

:cool:

17. Angry Fist

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Then there's the 9x25 Dillon. But who REALLY needs a 9mm being pushed upwards of 2000 FPS? People should stick with whatever ammo makes them sleep better at night. Even/especially if it is the not-so-lowly 9mm or .40 S&W. The 9mm has a long and proud reputation, dating back to the days of the German Empire, and so many handguns are chambered for it. As far as the ammo companies loading for the lowest common denominator, I think its their way of cheepin' out, and covering their arses at the same time.

18. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Apr 24, 2007
    here, now
    Guess I'll be the guinea pig. I ordered 4 boxes and plan on shooting them all for function tests. I'll also be doing some wetpack and water jug testing vs standard pressure 147g HST.

I plan on doing all of the shooting out of a well used (30,000 round) G19.

19. Renceri

Renceri

Oct 12, 2009
    Wildomar,CA
    Post the pictures here then after yout tests, your results on wetpacks And waterjugs for xm9ha and standard 147gr hst.i always get consistent petal separation with wetpacks with my xm9ha rounds.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010