Glock Talk banner

federal loads at walmart

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  rome2240sw 
#1 ·
just got my new factory replacement barrel for my gen 2 g22. It seems to have a little more case support in the 6 o'clock than the stock barrel i replaced. I was looking into some new defense rounds to try out. While in walmart i see that they have the federal 135 gr JHP for 23.99.. I wanted to know are these good to shoot from the glock since im use to using 180 gr and 165 gr loads. also, are there any FTE or FTF problems with this load. any info would help me. thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
they're low power LE contract loads made for the HK p2000 subcompact model. it's in stock at cabela's and many local shops too.

XM40HA, which uses a 135 grain HST bullet. The HA version was designed to be used in the HK P2000sk which is issued to firearms instructors as well as a few other select personnel within USBP/ICE/CBP.
The XM40HA is a 135 gr. HST that I chrono'd at 1130 fps. Respectable, but not screaming along like CorBon.
most 135grn 40cal loads are in the 1250FPS range. i passed on this one and bought 165grn & 180grn HST even though they were more pricey.

it's certainly not a bad choice, especially if money is a major factor :)

#3 ·
thanks. i have heard a few guys on another site say that they are sumwhat a hot load. Me personally, i like the 180gr ammo specifically for the fact of less recoil as well as lower chamber pressure. There are so many rounds out there but a good friend of mine was always said that the heavier rounds are the best rounds for a combat handgun. I was also told that the lighter rounds where made best for the shorter barreled guns. Me personally, i really dont know the significat difference since I have only been shooting a glock in .40 for about 4 or 5 months now. so i came here for help and i know that this is the best place for support when it comes to the glock. +1 for the site

#5 ·
my only concern is how it functions in the glock 22. AS far as consistency and dependability goes. Some people argue that lighter is better where some people argue that heavy and slow is the best way to go. I dont want to buy a round and possibly crack or blow up a barrel. My first barrel cracked due to bullet set back, a stove pipe and shooting without a magazine all combined. well maybe bullet set back since i ride the slide back and fourt and the round was only chambered 2 or 3 times. luckily it didnt blow up on me. Just the barrel had cracks in the head which glock refused to replace. but something i can understand.

#6 ·
my only concern is how it functions in the glock 22. AS far as consistency and dependability goes. Some people argue that lighter is better where some people argue that heavy and slow is the best way to go. I dont want to buy a round and possibly crack or blow up a barrel. My first barrel cracked due to bullet set back, a stove pipe and shooting without a magazine all combined. well maybe bullet set back since i ride the slide back and fourt and the round was only chambered 2 or 3 times. luckily it didnt blow up on me. Just the barrel had cracks in the head which glock refused to replace. but something i can understand.
well, the 135 grner's tend to only penetrate about 9 inches, and most folks like a little more than that.

for my 40's, i stick with 165 to 180grn :)

#7 ·
thanks... guess i will stick to the 180gr winchester loads and the 165gr speer gold dots... my only problem with the heavier speer gold dots is expansion when doing various expansion tests.

and yeah, alot of guys say the lightest loads are for the more compact hand guns. For the simple fact of making up for the shorter barrel which in general a shorter barrel will need a faster load to match up with the accuracy and energy of a gun with a longer barrel. those are just my personal thoughts tho. Back when i played paintball the longer barrels where more accurate but the shorter barrels shot further. Thats why you would see mid and back players using the longer more accurate barrels. So i believe this theory is the same for handguns.

#8 ·
thanks... guess i will stick to the 180gr winchester loads and the 165gr speer gold dots... my only problem with the heavier speer gold dots is expansion when doing various expansion tests.

and yeah, alot of guys say the lightest loads are for the more compact hand guns. For the simple fact of making up for the shorter barrel which in general a shorter barrel will need a faster load to match up with the accuracy and energy of a gun with a longer barrel. those are just my personal thoughts tho. Back when i played paintball the longer barrels where more accurate but the shorter barrels shot further. Thats why you would see mid and back players using the longer more accurate barrels. So i believe this theory is the same for handguns.

the 165 to 180 grn federal HST's are the best jhp's for 40cal on the market right now, but are usually hard to find.

the winchest PDX1 bonded one's are great too. the FBI uses them. they're easy to find too. PDX1 is what i would buy if i couldn't find the HST's.

i've never used gold dots before. which one's are you seeing poor expansion with? i've seen tests online where certain gold dots didn't expand well through denim.

#10 ·
Interesting, I have a P-2000SK, but usually run Ranger 165 LEO loads through that and my USP COMPACT, very accurate, but the sub throws them about 8 feet farther, still in a neat little pile. Might get a box, probably not...... guess I am ambivalent.

#11 ·
I was referring to the 180gr speer gold dots. The 165gr fed reliably and had great expansion. The 180s penerated deeper with less overall expansion. great rounds though but i find them to be better suited for those shooting through glass, car doors, or use in putting down a hostile. Dont find them to be real SD ammo, more like LE ammo.

#12 ·
I was referring to the 180gr speer gold dots. The 165gr fed reliably and had great expansion. The 180s penerated deeper with less overall expansion. great rounds though but i find them to be better suited for those shooting through glass, car doors, or use in putting down a hostile. Dont find them to be real SD ammo, more like LE ammo.

oh i see. well try the winchester PDX1. the FBI uses the 180grn, although they also make a 165grn. bet you'll be please with expansion results with that one :)

#13 ·
But for the price the XM40HA looks like a great deal for 50 rounds of ammo. But compared to the winchester white box 180gr at $1 more depending on location, i find them to be less suited for full sized/standard sized handguns. I feel that if your shooting anything longer than a 4" barrel you should use 165 gr to 180 gr when talking about .40 s&w loads for self defense. But in a residential area like mine where the mass majority of the homes have thin walls, believe the XM40HA will serve a great purpose for home defense. Over penetration should not be a factor when considering rib bones, mussle tissue, skin and clothing to be your only targets.

#14 ·
But for the price the XM40HA looks like a great deal for 50 rounds of ammo. But compared to the winchester white box 180gr at $1 more depending on location, i find them to be less suited for full sized/standard sized handguns. I feel that if your shooting anything longer than a 4" barrel you should use 165 gr to 180 gr when talking about .40 s&w loads for self defense. But in a residential area like mine where the mass majority of the homes have thin walls, believe the XM40HA will serve a great purpose for home defense. Over penetration should not be a factor when considering rib bones, mussle tissue, skin and clothing to be your only targets.

sound like the 135grn HST is your ticket :)

the PDX1, that's not the white box stuff though. it's about $1/round, or $20 for 20 rounds.

#15 ·
I bought a box of the Federal 135gr HP from Wal Mart over the weekend and fired 13 of them yesterday at the range. Shoots pretty good out of my G23. No problems at all and accuracy was very good. I plan on grabbing a couple more boxes next week.

#16 ·
If they shoot well from your g23 i know they must shoot flawlessly from the G22. When your talking standard and compact there is just a .5" difference in size. the standard size guns are just a .5" bigger than the compacts. But that still puts the G23 barrel in the 4" range which is great if accuracy is a concern.

#17 ·
:cool:
I bought a box of the Federal 135gr HP from Wal Mart over the weekend and fired 13 of them yesterday at the range. Shoots pretty good out of my G23. No problems at all and accuracy was very good. I plan on grabbing a couple more boxes next week.
my results as well, I shot a box this weekend and found them to be very accurate and pretty soft shooting..

#19 ·
XM40HA is good for blowing up jugs of water.

I bought a few boxes of flying ashtrays just for that purpose.

I did the same thing but the 165 gr Rem. Golden Sabers made a bigger splash. The 125 gr Gold Dot 357 Sig absolutely exploded and shredded the water jugs. These XM40HA rds seem a little soft to me. If I had a little 40 cal. Kahr pistol I might like them for that.

#20 ·
I seem to feel that everyone agees that these are suited for compact and subcompact guns. still gonna try a box. I get paid tomorrow so I am gonna stop by walmart and buy a box. But if they have anything in a heavier load for a reasonable price may by a box of those as well. As of right now My mags loaded with 180gr winchester white box...

#21 ·
Glad i met a guy named Don Glock. Followed his opinion and some of everyone elses and went with the 180gr Federal HST loads. May do a few test shots this weekend since I purched a box of 50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.