close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Federal HST Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Arnold Kuhl, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Arnold Kuhl

Arnold Kuhl
    Expand Collapse

Could somebody tell me what the "H" stands for, what the "S" stands for, and what the "T" stands for?

I think the first two letters mean "hydrashock", but not sure. About the "T" I have no clue.

Just curious. Has anybody tried this load? It's probably quite expensive, but it's supposed to be the big rage in defensive ammo. I'm interest in maybe getting the .45ACP flavor. (I don't know if it comes in other flavors).

Any info appreciated. My apologies if this has already been discussed. If so, maybe if one of you guys could just show me a link?

Thanks,

AK

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Arnold Kuhl, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack
    Expand Collapse

T=tactical I believe. Good ammo.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

When it first came out, I heard it stood for "Hi-Shok Two", "Hydra-Shock Two" & "Hi-Shok Tactical" (Which one is correct, I don't know), But all of that was a bit too "hard core" for the PC world, so Federal basically just says it stands for nothing (as far as I know).

As far as the load goes, it's all I use in my SD pistols... For .45, I run 230gr +p, for .40 I run 180gr, and for 9mm I run 124gr +p... It runs great in all my pistols and the ballistics are awesome!

#3 Joshhtn, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  4. pisc1024

pisc1024
    Expand Collapse
    AASG

I don't know what HST stands for. I have shot the 180gr load in a .40cal and I thought it was fine. The recoil was on par with just about every other 180gr .40cal I have shot.
    It rates pretty well as a SD round.
    Check this out for a little more general info.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

5. Arnold Kuhl

Arnold Kuhl
    Expand Collapse

Do any of you HST fans know what they cost? I guess I could just go to Federal's website, if they list their prices. As you know, a lot of companies do not list their prices on their websites, for whatever reason. Heard good things about this ammo. Like to get some in .45ACP+P.

AK

6. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack
    Expand Collapse

7. ACM73

ACM73
    Expand Collapse

My department uses the HST in 40 and 9mm. It's had good results when the officers make good shots.

8. BearMBD

BearMBD
    Expand Collapse

I heard it stood for hydro (sp?) shock tactical. Either way it opened up perfectly wen I tested it with water jugs (I know it's not the most accurate media, but served my purpose).

9. Arnold Kuhl

Arnold Kuhl
    Expand Collapse

Think I'll just pick up a little box of 20 or 25 when I can find it. Not really interested in getting hundreds of these rounds (can't afford it, anyway).

Thanks for the feedback.

AK

10. kaech

kaech
    Expand Collapse

Hi Shok Two...HST

11. ABNAK

ABNAK
    Expand Collapse

I believe they only come in boxes of 50.

Great ammo, get it while you can and when you can.

12. Buckeye 7x57

Buckeye 7x57
    Expand Collapse

They sell them in plastic see through boxes of 25 now. I saw them at the LGS yesterday.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. Bigpoppie50

Bigpoppie50
    Expand Collapse

There are plenty reviews on Youtube that are very informative.

14. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

The interview I read with some guy from federal said HST doesn't stand for anything. That is their official line, it may have meant something to someone early on in development kind of like the joke that Winchester SXT, the replacement for the black talons meant Same eXact Thing.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

15. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Yep and you pay about $1 per round for that purty plastic box.:faint:

I'll take the ugly cardboard box for $.60 a round.

#15 dkf, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  16. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I've been led to believe it stands for "Hydro Shock Two" and that the bullet is based upon the old Hydro Shock with the hollow point center post removed.

I bought a stash of HST a few years ago when prices were $24 - $32/box of 50 (depending on caliber) in both 9mm and .357sig and both shoot well in my pistols. One of the things about HST is its amazing consistency of expansion.

What self-defense ammo are you currently using?

17. Arnold Kuhl

Arnold Kuhl
    Expand Collapse

I am currently loaded up with .357SIG, 125gr. Speer Gold Dots in my Gen3 G22. But I was thinking about maybe getting some HST's in 9mm, for HD. I have some 15-year-old .45ACP Golden Sabers, which I'm sure are still good. But the .45 caliber bullet is ALREADY expanded, you know.

But now that I know that I'll be forking out major somolians for the purdy plastic box- encased HST's, I may have to forgo. Unless I can somehow wangle a really miraculous deal on a box of them, it's just cost-prohibitive.

I wonder if HOMELAND SECURITY is buying HST's for Obama's PRIVATE ARMY? No wonder we can't get any bullets for reloading, and factory ammo is sky-freaking high!
    (Don't get me started with this). I hope Congress cuts off ALL the funding for this insanity.

FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THAT FEARS YOUR GUNS!

How did I get on this rampage?

AK

18. chargingzebra

chargingzebra
    Expand Collapse

I've had good results with the HSTs after switching from Hydra-Shoks. (I never really had a problem with them either, just wanted the next best thing) They have feed reliably in my G27 and G22.

I have family in law enforcement and the local dept. switched to 180gr 40 cal HSTs. The dept. has only had one shooting in the two years since the switch to the round, and it resulted in one bullet striking the bad guy's (actually gal's) arm, and was not fatal. The officer recovered after being struck by the woman's car and the suspect was later arrested.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge
    Expand Collapse
    "The Sarge"

Vafish nailed it. In direct communication with Federal Ammunition's Law Enforcement Division I was told early on that HST is not an acronym and has no hidden meaning. HST is simply the designation assigned to a specific bullet design. HST is my first choice in business ammo and I carry it in all the service calibers. Bill

20. hotpig

hotpig
    Expand Collapse
    IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

In 2001 Federal was calling it Hi Shock Two since that was what it was to replace. After deciding it could go head to head with Ranger T-Series it was place on the restricted LE Government sales only.

Federal also said they would eventually offer it for regular commercial sales. After it was moved from Hi Shock Two the Classic line of ammo and placed in the Premium line Federal stopped saying Hi Shock Two and said HST does not mean anything.

2007 HST was moved from the Premium line to the Tactical line.

2012 HST was released to the regular commercial line in 25 round boxes.