close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Federal Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by sbrill, Jul 15, 2010.

1. sbrill

sbrill

Dec 10, 2009
    A friend of mine recently bought a G23. He is trying to get an internship with the DEA, so he has contacts that he talks to regularly in the DEA. Yesterday he was telling me about his conversation with the agent regarding Glocks (DEA uses G23s). Apparently this guy was telling him DO NOT USE FEDERAL AMMO, period. He said it is bad for Glocks. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? The guys said to use WWB, which i dont particularly like. I try to buy the cheap federal 180 at walmart. So whats the deal with this? Why would it be bad for a Glock?

2. I shoot the Fedral ammo thru all 4 of my Glocks, and I do not have any issues with it.

3. Hunng

Hunng

Feb 23, 2010
    GA
    I use federal champion ammo from walmart almost exclusively in my glocks...unless im shooting my carry loads...the DEA guy is full of you know what.

4. sbrill

sbrill

Dec 10, 2009
    Well thats what i figured. I just want to confirm. I know you cant shoot bare lead, but that stuff is fmj.

5. The guy has a cousin that works for Winchester, Remington or CCI. I've run over 300 through my guns without a single issue. I've since gotten a great deal on some bulk American Eagle, but would still be shooting the Federal Champion if not.

6. Maybe the guy was joking and meant FEDERAL GOV. ammo.:supergrin:

7. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Jun 25, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. GLOCKdNlocked

GLOCKdNlocked

Jun 13, 2010
    That's funny, I asked a Police Officer what he prefers and he said Federals Champs & Rem UMCs over the WWBs. Claimed that the WWBs were dirty, which in fact was try when I tested them along with the Federals. The Rem UMCs from what I've read, then to jam and such more often. Maybe I'll buy a bulk box and run them through to see. But hands down Federal Champs are one of the best deals out there for target/practice ammo.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Federal is my favorite ammo. Glocks can eat anything, they sure as hell can eat Federal.

10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    I use it every range session, DEA dude was full of Manushka!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  11. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    Federal ammo is not bad for Glocks in any way. Steel-cased ammo is bad for the extractor, but I don't think Federal even makes steel-cased. Most Federal ammo(not the cheap Federal Champion) is loaded hotter than other brands, loaded about the same as self-defense loads which is what Glocks were designed for.

Personally I've shot nearly 1000 rounds of .40SW Federal American Eagle of every grain through each my Glock 23 and Glock 27. Also about 50 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shock through each gun.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  12. JBP55

JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Louisiana
    This.

13. bmylesk

bmylesk

Jul 2, 2010
    SLC, UT
    +1000

14. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Mar 5, 2008
    Could be that upstanding "DEA contact" has stock in another ammo company.:upeyes:

15. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow Millennium Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Lost In Space
    The FBI and DEA used Federal duty ammo (165g Hydra-Shok) in Glocks for years. Then they switched to Speer (165 Gold Dot), now it's Winchester (180 Bonded).

16. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

So a guy who is trying to get an internship with DEA told you that he had heard federal ammo is bad from one of his "contacts" in the DEA and you believed it enough to actually come on here and ask?

You need to tune your BS meter.

17. Ceapea

Ceapea

Apr 12, 2010
    Midwest
    Every LEO and Government agency personnel that I have ever spoken to (several LEO and only two Gov'ment men) use some sort of JHP SD ammo. They practice with what they use in the field. They don't shoot Fed champion, WWB or any other target ammo unless they are shooting their own gun on their own time. And even then they usually have access to their agency range and ammo.
    I think your friend might be full of poo poo.

18. JBP55

JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Louisiana

They do use JHP ammunition in their duty guns (Primarily Gold Dot, Ranger T, PDX1, Golden Saber, HST ) but they also practice with the inexpensive ball ammunition. Most LEO shoot their duty rounds once or twice a year and are issued new duty rounds.

19. glocknick

glocknick

Aug 2, 2009
    this is the same agency that sends there untrained employees to teach gun safety to school children. why would you listen to them about anything firearm related.