Federal 5.56 62gr OTM SOST Mod0 Gel Test Results

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by plouffedaddy, Jun 22, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished up the testing of the Federal 5.56 62gr Mod0 OTM SOST (T556TNB1) round. Here are the conditions and results.

Test conditions:
    -16'' CHF PSA barrel
    -Test rounds fired from 15 feet
    -"FBI spec" (Their term, not mine...) Clear Ballistics gel block

Chrono Data:
    -2997 feet per second
    -1235 foot pounds of energy

Results:
    -1st shot passed through 32'' of gel
    -2nd shot stopped at 32''
    -Fragmentation occurred along the way

Here's the video showing the test, the permanent cavity, both shots into the gel, and a discussion of the results:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRB0LwiNz24"]Federal 5.56 T556TNB1 62gr OTM Mod0 (SOST) Ballistics Gel Test (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    WTS: 223(5.56) AMMO: PPU 75gr HPBT Match, PPU 55gr M193, and Federal 62gr Gun Parts & Accessories Nov 15, 2014
    Federal 5.56 T556TNB1 62gr OTM Mod0 Review Caliber Corner Mar 18, 2013
    .223 Federal 62gr. TBBC Caliber Corner Sep 15, 2012
    Federal XM855F 62gr 500rd Case Sponsor Showcase Jun 28, 2012
    FEDERAL XM193BK 1000 rds or 840 rds 62gr 5.56 w/2 cans $293 shipped Sponsor Showcase Oct 26, 2011

3. Looks like it does what it is designed to do: stay together (the core at least) and penetrate. Not the round I would want, but to each their own.

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Am I nuts or does .45 auto ball ammo produce roughly the same result?

5. .45 ACP isn't hitting at almost 3,000fps. Maybe a third of that at most (velocity is squared in that equation, it's not linear). Once you get to rifle velocities the dynamics change very quickly from what a handgun can do.

6. Zombie Steve

A standard 230 grain fmj going 850 will penetrate darn near as much jello (if not the same) and the wound channel is nice and straight and narrow (like in this video).

So what dynamics are different?

:dunno:

7. One is delivering about 1250 ft/lbs of energy and one is delivering about 400 ft/lbs of energy. The gel block doesn't tell the whole tale.

8. Zombie Steve

Finally got someone to admit it.

:cowboy:

:supergrin:

For that matter, neither does ft/lbs of energy. It always favors the faster bullet. Yet here we are with really darn similar penetration and wound channel.

9. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

The $64,000.00 question is: How well does this round work on real human beings hopped-up on marihuana and opium?

In the history of man-kind, no one has been attacked by a block of ballistic gel shooting back with an AK, RPK, DSHK or RPG!

10. .45 ball won't fragment.

This is a penetrator round.

#9 cowboy1964, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  11. I will add that it is PART of the tale, though. That being said, I don't like this round. If I am shooting .223/5.56, I want something that causes massive tissue damage, not massive penetration. If I want massive penetration, I will step up to .308.

12. Zombie Steve

We are agreed on that point. I suppose that's why I was so underwhelmed by this test.

Those little fragments of jacket don't exactly carve their own path. You usually find them in the main wound channel.

The SOST was supposed to be a 22 caliber version of the old Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, right? If I'm remembering that correctly, then these results don't surprise me.

13. Tell ya what: if you HAD to shoot a two-legged critter, I'd take 5.56mm over .45ACP in a heartbeat.

Don't know if you were intentionally being coy or not but if you can't see the difference between a rifle velocity round (wound-wise) and a FMJ pistol round then Ballistics 101 is in order! :whistling:

14. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

I bet if the 5.56 came in contact with bone, compared to the .45 ball you're using for a comparison, the results would likely be a lot different.

15. Zombie Steve

I am being a bit of a wise guy. Just that the 5.56mm usually makes a bit more splash than demonstrated in this video.

Yep. Not pretty for the most .224 bullets, but in this case, I think it would keep going.

You want barrier blind performance? Then let's talk about solids. You want expansion? Let's talk about soft bullets. So what we have here is a soft touted as better because it behaves like a solid (or perhaps it's a mediocre solid with some resemblance to a soft bullet). The wonders of marketing. :cool:

Anyway, they got it going fast. That's about the best thing I can say for this bullet if this test is representative of how they all behave.

And the blocks look like they had a .45 ball round shot through them.

:supergrin:

16. .45acp 230gr FMJ vs 5.56x45 55gr FMJ. High speed camera helps to show the difference better.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-txVKnVjY"]45ACP CCI Blazer 230gr FMJ impacting ballistic gelatin - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOYPxiRldaE"]5.56x45mm 55gr FMJ M193 slow motion ballistic gelatin - YouTube[/ame]

Mix of different .223/5.56 out of ARs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFucrB-Vpj8"]AR-15 Tribute - YouTube[/ame]

Gee hard tell the difference.:whistling:

#15 dkf, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  17. Zombie Steve

I get it. I know what 5.56mm can do.

What you're missing in these videos (there is one at the top of the page) is the Mod 0, which in my opinion, sucked. That's all.

18. I wonder how much long(er) range terminal ballistics came into play during the development of the Mk262 and SOST rounds? I know M193 and M855 come up short (pun intended) in that category at longer distances.

19. Its not impressive, I agree. Probably the reason is the petals shearing off and making the core do the work. Not what I would spend my money on. Might as well just use an FMJ round.

#18 dkf, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  20. The SOST and the Mk262 are OTM rounds. They are not like a pistol HP bullet in that they are designed to act like a FMJ. They may expand but they're not designed to.

In the fragmentation of the SOST I wonder if it really "sheared" the petals off (as in a HP blossoming) or if the pieces were a result of fragging of the bullet itself once it started to tumble and the centrifugal forces overcame bullet integrity? M193 and M855 will do that too at a high enough impact velocity, i.e. closer ranges.

21. The Mod0 being for barriers must be the reason the permanent cavity is so vanilla in bare gel. Gotta have a barrier to make the bullet yaw and transfer energy. How the jacket sheared off I guess depends on how well the lead held onto it. Looked like the lead didn't hold onto the jacket at all (not bonded) so it probably just dropped pieces off little by little.

If it were me I would rather have something like Hornady's TAP Barrier load which uses the GMX bullet. Goes through barriers and transfers energy better. Of course the treaties signed many years ago most likely prohibit the use of that bullet. It is why you don't sign stupid treaties.

#20 dkf, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013