close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fear of AD while holstering my 27

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ghh3rd, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ghh3rd

ghh3rd
    Expand Collapse

I use quality holsters for my Glock 27, a Don Hume and a Crossbreed that I've had for years. I always carry in Conditin 1.

I still feel apprehensive when holstering my Glock, even though I watch the gun into the holster. I've never had the nerve to holster without watching the gun and holster, although I would prefer to do so.

It's not an issue with having a Glock - I know that any gun will go bang if it's cocked with one in the tube and the trigger is pulled. I have a Glock because I like the feeling I get from knowing that I've fired 1000's of rounds from it without a glitch.

I was hoping that this feeling would pass in time, but no luck, so far. Can anyone relate to this -- any tips?

Randy

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

I'd say... well I don't really know, don't pull the trigger, the gun don't go bang.

3. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

Try using a NY1 trigger spring with a ghost 3.5 connector. It is what I put in my G27 for just that reason, to decrease the likelihood of a negligent discharge. The feel is really nice also, I didn't think I would like it, but wanted to give it a try anyway, and I'm glad I did, it's really nice!

4. Sgt127

Sgt127
    Expand Collapse

In a hip holster or duty holster, it doesn't bother me. If somehow it goes bang from something getting caught up in the trigger, aat most I will have a crease in my ass.

Appendix carry is another matter. I personally can't make myself carry a Glock pointed at my femoral artery. I've tried. If I did, I would remove the holster, put the gun in it and then put the holster back on.

Its a personal thing. Lots of people carry them appendix and very very few seem to get shot. Mechanically, the gun is safe enough, I just can't.

5. tinman517

tinman517
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I can relate to you feelings. I trust that for me, that feeling always is with me. When it passes, I will be more prone to an accident. Be safe.

6. NCHeel

NCHeel
    Expand Collapse

Do what I did. Carry unloaded and do what you normally would do over and over and over and see if you can accidentally on purpose cause a discharge. I have slept with a Glock many times under my pillow and I have never woke up in the morning to find the trigger depressed. After all that you should feel confident that with conscious effort you worries will dissipate.

#6 NCHeel, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  7. arzG27

arzG27
    Expand Collapse
    Glock FTW

practice makes perfect. if you trust your holster enough to use it without worrying that you will have an AD while wearing it, you should be confident enough to pull it in and out of the holster without too much concern. that being said, safety is paramount and should always be your priority. like NCHeel said, practice holstering and unholstering unloaded and get that confidence up. i have a blackhawk serpa and just hearing that "click" gives me all the confidence i need to keep it movin

8. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like your just being careful. Nothing wrong with that. It's like jumping out of a plane, is it wrong if you still get butterflies after hundreds of jumps? = No

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

That's one nice advantage to a hammer fired gun; thumb over the hammer while reholstering.

One can practice all they want. But they're called "accidents" for a reason.

10. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't take "nerve" to holster a Glock without watching it; it takes carelessness. I don't understand why you would want to holster a Glock (or any gun) without watching to ensure no clothing, material or thumbsnap gets caught in the trigger guard.

11. High Altitude

High Altitude
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I think the whole don't look at your pistol while you reholster is over blown. When do you reholster? When the fight is OVER. IMHO, look while reholstering all you want.

12. MikeG36

MikeG36
    Expand Collapse

I can relate. IMO it's good that you have this feeling. It might keep you alive. You should always be careful reholstering. Good luck!

13. TxGlock9

TxGlock9
    Expand Collapse

Nothing wrong with it. Keep doing what you're doing. Just stop worrying too much.

14. gunowner1

gunowner1
    Expand Collapse

I can't relate.From day one I have always had faith in the safeties built into my Glocks.

15. FL Airedale

FL Airedale
    Expand Collapse
    Dog Breath

I have no problem reholstering without looking when I'm using a Kydex holster. I do put my finger over the outside of the trigger guard until I feel it going into the holster. I also reholster slowly.

I have a simple belt slide holster that I often wear when I'm at home. It isn't stiff like Kydex so I have to use both hands when reholstering and I do this while looking and using both hands.

If I'm going to be shot, I don't want it to be me that does it!

16. DustyJacket

DustyJacket
    Expand Collapse
    Directiv 10-289

Concealment holsters are so close to your body, the clothes and accessories my get involved and cause troubles. Duty holster, not so much.

Except for revolvers, all my belt holsters are paddle or clip on. With them and my pocket holsters, I holster the gun and then put the holster on.

Another thing is to practice with an unloaded firearm when you get a new holster or carry style. What works with one type of holster may cause an issue with another.

My only Unintentional Discharge (in 45 years of shooting) was an IWB where a plastic part broke and all went to hell in a hurry. I used to put my trigger finger on the trigger guard. After that incident, I put my trigger finger on the frame above the trigger, on the slide, or around the front strap on the grip, when holstering.

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

Modifying the gun because of your lack of training or experience is never the right move. Get some training and practice. And keep your finger indexed. Simple stuff.

18. MNBud

MNBud
    Expand Collapse

I'm with the majority here, there is nothing wrong with watching you gun all the way into the holster. I always put my finger over the trigger guard but there is nothing to say something can't come into the trigger guard from the body side of your gun. You are doing great don't change a thing.

19. bkkd

bkkd
    Expand Collapse

You dont have to put it up fast, but you may have to take it out fast........:supergrin:

20. DFin

DFin
    Expand Collapse

It is not my finger that I worry about but rather my shirt or jacket getting caught in the trigger guard when reholstering. To reholster safely I have to look and make sure the holster is clear every time. I use my non gun hand to push my shirt or jacket out of the way. I don't think there is any way around it regardless of the type of holster.

#20 DFin, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012