close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FBI virus

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BSA70, Dec 26, 2012.

1. BSA70

BSA70
    Expand Collapse

Couple of months ago, I heard about the dreaded FBI virus. Well my laptop got hit the other day. Everything boots up fine, then it gets to a point that it locks everything up and all you have is a white fbi screen and an audio message repeating"you have violated federal law, etc...."

So how would I go about getting to a point where I could clean it up, it's highjacked my computer.

Funny thing, the other pc's I have have not been effected and they run the avg free program. This one is paid mcfee. How can I prevent this from happening to my other ones>

thanks bsa

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness
    Expand Collapse

Download Malwarebytes on one of your other computers and save the download file to a CD or thumb drive.

Boot up the infected computer into Safe Mode (hold down the F8 key while it is booting up). Once the computer is in safe mode, copy Malwarebytes onto the hard drive from your CD or thumb drive. Install and run Malwarebytes.

Reboot your computer.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. BSA70

BSA70
    Expand Collapse

thankyou!

4. Detectorist

Detectorist
    Expand Collapse

If it won't even boot up in Safe Mode, you might have to download a rescue disc, like Avira.

5. sappy13

sappy13
    Expand Collapse

you will most likely need to use a rescue cd or hook that hdd up to another computer to scan. Remote regedit could also be used to kill the startup key. If you can get into safemode and not have it boot you are extremely lucky. The last couple that i have removed had both regular and safemode totally locked down.

6. Chesafreak

Chesafreak
    Expand Collapse

One of our users in the office gets this one repeatedly. We do a system restore and its gone with no loss of user files. I keep asking my firewall administrator to block it at the firewall but he hasn't followed through on that yet.

7. Don H

Don H
    Expand Collapse

^This seems like the easiest solution, if you can just restore it to a date prior to infection and then run a few scans to be sure after it has been restored.

8. Brian12

Brian12
    Expand Collapse

#8 Brian12, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

10. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I have gotten rid of the FBI virus twice, using nothing but online instructions (good to have 2 computers) and free software. It wasn't hard. I used the instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fbi-monkeypak-ransomware

11. prism

prism
    Expand Collapse
    more ammo

http://portableapps.com/apps

this site has some antivirus/antispyware software which can run from a usb thumb drive.

I would download it onto a thumb drive, update it, then copy it onto your harddrive and run it from the harddrive. that way you have it on both the usb and the hard drive.

12. Thornhammer

Thornhammer
    Expand Collapse

By far the easiest way to solve the problem. I did this on two different machines - the first time I spent hours trying to purge the problem before coming across the system restore idea, and it worked straight away. The second time, I didn't mess with anything else, system restore fixed it immediately.

13. Dragline

Dragline
    Expand Collapse

Some of the latest versions of the trojan ransom prevent boot up in safe mode, prevent successfully doing a system restore, and will not allow the infected computer to perform any function that would enable a scan from a flash drive or CD.

At this point what is likely required for removal is to install the infected hard drive as a non boot drive in another computer and then performing a removal scan using malwarebytes for instance.

These trojans are getting nastier and tougher to remove all the time and are fully capable of blowing right by many of the top rated AV programs.

14. Chesafreak

Chesafreak
    Expand Collapse

I just converted another person from Windows to Ubuntu after they got the FBI virus last week. They got tired of paying for virus removal and asked me how to stop it. The downside to how many people I have converted to Ubuntu is I lose money because they don't need me anymore.

15. Toyman

Toyman
    Expand Collapse