Favorite Folder-WHY?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by akapennypincher, Nov 29, 2012.

1. I'm surprised you haven't heard of Les George. :wow: He made this small fixed blade awhile ago from his left over materials I tried to see if he still had it but unfortunately sold it before and wasn't making any knives at the time.

Still thinking about possibly having another one made similar by someone else but just haven't gotten around to it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Spyderco Delica is probably my all time favorite folder. :supergrin:

3. benchmade mini grip

#23 17119jfkioe, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist
    CLM

I rooted through this year's mags and found the EOD special fixed blade that I recognized :embarassed:

I suppose I really need my friends to keep me updated :cool:

#24 syntaxerrorsix, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. I love my Benchmades with my mini rukus auto being my favorite.

6. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee
    CLM
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I've got one. think Sebenza on steroids.

[​IMG]

7. UtahIrishman

Silver Member

Les George is one of the best custom tactical knife makers out there. Good choice

8. WayaX

Lifetime Member

Did that knife really come in a cardboard box?!

My favorite folder is the Emerson mini CQC-15, partially serrated. The blade design is wonderful and the handle fits my hand very well for a folder.

9. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee
    CLM
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

No, that's a box for a Hinderer. :tongueout:

10. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

My favorite would be my CRK Umnumzaan based simply on the craftsman ship that went into making it. Definitely not my first choice for blade steel but the fit, finish, and overall quality is phenomenal. It has been my most carried knife this year.
    [​IMG]

I still need to get a VECP... and an XM-18, but the NFA game has taken up most of my budget this year.

#30 Travclem, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  11. Benchmade Mini-Grip-best knife ever made. ever.:wavey:

12. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

That might be just a bit of a stretch :supergrin:

13. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Favorite brand.... well... my avatar may give it away. ;) I've got about 50 of 'em. Spyderco is the Baskin Robbins of knife makers. So many flavors. I like the Spydie hole for easy one-handed opening (quicker than an auto knife in my hands). Spyderco offers a wide range of quality knives at various price points... all a good value.

My current favorite and in my pocket right now - Caly 3 CF / Damascus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before the Caly 3 Damascus, I carried this Paramilitary 2 CF / S90V for several months:

[​IMG]

The rest of the family:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#33 racer88, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  14. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

This old lock-back, but I dont even know what it is. It has a 4 inch blade that is marked 816. I carry it every day.

#35 FireForged, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  15. I have an appreciation for the designers of a number of folders - Emerson, Al Mar, Mel Pardue and others. The first ones that made an impression on me wherein I knew of the designer at acquisition were the Emerson CQC6s and C7s that I purchased years ago as a dealer. Other knives that I appreciated without knowing the designer were created by Al Mar when he was employed by Gerber.

Recently, I discovered the knives designed by Bob Lum (deceased) of the cooperative called Seki-City. His designs were strikingly like those of Al Mar.

Another knife maker who is not making his products available to the public at this time is Kent Turnipseed. He designed a series of knives which he is attempting to put into production.

The knives don't have to be expensive to fall among the favorites. Non folder examples would be Moras and Marttinni which sell in the $11 to $35 range.

The cheapest and best folder I have seen recently is the uncataloged Ontario 2823. The design of the partially serrated knife is outstanding. It is produced in Red China. However, the quality control is exemplary. I picked up a number of them at Big 5 this year in a price range of $15 - $20. A number of them will be gifts to relatives and put in Benchmade bidirectional sheaths.

And, I am not adverse to putting Mini Griptilians and full size Griptilians into the favorite category. I am thankful that I picked them up used (and I refurbished them) before the big price increases on ebay this year.

16. My kershaw s30v blur

posted using Outdoor Hub

#37 Bakercountyboy, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  17. Spyderco Endura. Best compromise for length of blade for cutting power and light weight for ease of carry.tom.:supergrin:

18. Just an inexpensive Chinese Ka-Bar

Sharp.

Not too big.

Not too small.

Reliable.

Won't upset me if I break it.

Won't upset me if I lose it.

[​IMG]

#39 W.E.G., Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  19. Emerson Mini CQC-15 offside, Spyderco Endura with FFG blade on strong side. Endura mini Griptilian BTS blade rides in pocket loose, back pocket, or watch pocket in jeans. Has a titanium deep carry clip.