close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

favorite commercial 357mag loads?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by M1A Shooter, Oct 15, 2010.

1. i have a smith model 19-4 with a 4" barrel my FIL gave my wife and am going to shoot it for the first time after getting it back from the gunsmith. i have only shot a cylinder full of mags through my dads gp100 several years ago and thats it. have shot a bit of 38s through various revolvers but am pretty unfamiliar with revolvers in general.

i am looking for a load that i can get a taste of power from but safely in the 1980 model 19-4. what would you look at?

2. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    I would do most of my shooting in a model 19 with a good 158 grain 38 Special load. The old 158 grain round nose lead load would be a good choice for practice. For serious field work switch over to 158 grain JHP or JSP 357 Magnum loads. I would carry a factory 158 grain JHP for SD and a 158 grain JSP or hard cast load for the woods. I have a Colt Python that loves the 160 grain WFNGC LBT bullets with a full charge of H-110. If you want to get a good feel for full power 158 grain 357 Magnum loads I have found the American Eagle JSP to be a good choice.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    A good mid range magnum load that will not beat the snot out of that M19 is the Win 145grSTHP. Mine has been retimed twice, now it only sees 38sp+P or the midrange magnum loads.