close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Father shoots drunk driver who killed his sons

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by xray678, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes, he does deserve to be punished. He is living with the blood of that drunk driver on his hands, and he is living with the stupidity of his actions setting off a chain of events that placed their vehicle in the path of a drunk driver who killed both his kids.

Sounds like a lifetime of anguish to me.

I say we give him the same "punishment" we were gonna mete out to the drunk driver. What is that, 1 year incarceration and a revocation of driving privileges for 364 days?

2. Z71bill

Z71bill

One son dead on site - one was transported - DOA.

Did the father leave his critically injured son to walk home and get a gun?

3. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

I've push started many vehicles in less than ideal conditions. Having perpetual drunk drivers off the road makes for a safer environment to do so when necessary.

Because you know, sometimes cars break down despite our best efforts. Whenever someone winds up drunk behind the wheel their best efforts have nothing to do with it.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

That guy was convicted in a court of law. The driver here wasn't afforded that right. HH

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

From the article posted, yes. It appears as if he wanted to go Bubba on this guy rather than attend to the surviving son. HH

6. G17Jake

G17Jake

Pushing a car down the road has risk. Call a tow truck.

I remember hearing something like this in the news when I lived in NM. Someone stopped to help push a stalled car and they were hit from behind. If I remember correctly, the good samaritan lost his legs

I have helped people who were stalled get the car off the road, but even then I was watching closely for appraoching cars.

7. brisk21

brisk21

I have two boys. I would have done the same damn thing. I feel terrible for the father. Im glad that the driver got what he deserved. If I did that, Id want to die. People don't realize the responsibility they have when they sit behind the wheel of a vehicle. No prison sentance would be enough of a punishment.

8. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

From the sounds of it he was pretty close to home, why not push it down down the block to get it home. It's plenty safe if the other drivers are sober. Also underage drinker with double the legal limit in his system by the time he was tested. I'm sure it wasn't hard for the father to figure that one out, as the driver was probably .20 at time of accident.

Now could I convict the father, not sure I could depending on a couple more details not included in the story.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    Maybe the gunshot residue test will be inconclusive.

Maybe the similar ammo found in the house is the most common ammo in that county.

Maybe the distraught drunk driver shot himself in the head and reflexively flung the pistol away in the dark.

Maybe somebody found or stole the missing handgun.

Maybe the witnesses will not seem credible, or confident if they take the stand.

Maybe he'll walk, maybe temporary insanity.

He shouldn't have left his gun at home; it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Open carry would have simplified this.

10. sputnik767

sputnik767

I do not believe it is safe to push a disabled vehicle on a dark country road. Certainly not have your preteen sons do it. If you really want to, have one of them steer and you push. Maybe he would have seen the car coming and gotten the hell out of the way. I've driven plenty of twisty country roads, with speeds of 55+ mph. It may be impossible to stop in time even if you're sober. I've almost hit a deer that was stopped in the middle of my lane before, and I wasn't rounding a turn either. It can be hard to see in the dark. I'm splitting the blame here, more to the drunk of course, but the father is not blameless here either. I mean honestly, if I'm in the car with my GF and the car needs a push, guess who's going to go out there and do it. It sure as hell isn't going to be her. I also have an 11 year old brother, and he isn't going out there to push the car either. What the father did is negligent at the very least.

Maybe it was temporary insanity, but he has no legal protection for what he did. There is a very good chance that even if his charge is reduced or he walks, he's going to be paying for the rest of his life for the lawsuit that the drunken idiot's family is going to bring on.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. sputnik767

sputnik767

Wow, incredible. You already have me believing that you should not own a gun. And that takes talent. But I guess advocating murder will do it.

12. ray9898

ray9898

Apparently so.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You have me believing you are either stupid, or playing dense for the audience.

I BELIEVE that people who drink and drive, and injure/kill other people have automatically voided their right to exist among other people. If I were grand supreme ruler of the country I would pass a decree as such -

along with decrees on robbery (chop off a body part); rape (much of the same); child molestation (lights out), etc etc.

What I have said in this thread is what I believe, and what I have said is how I would vote if I were a juror on his jury.

I've not advocated that I would shoot someone roadside for offing my kid - but it should really be legal :), and I've certainly am not advocating that folks take that course of action.

Now live up to your presentation of being in medical school, apply those critical thinking skills you should have, and learn how to discern from what I think, compared to what I do.

- G

14. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

No, he was being flown back for trial.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

You're in med school, right? I assume you've dealt with the victims of drunk drivers in some clinical setting or another, in some capacity. I completely believe that anyone who gets behind the wheel while drunk and ruins someone else's life, has forfeited their own.

16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have to admit. What some have posted here. If a anti gunner says to me "explain why they should be allowed to own, much less carry a firearm" I couldn't do it.
    Folks that can't understand really need to consider carrying a firearm.. (or pocket knife, hammer, drive a car.....)

Do I HATE DUI folks? Dang tooting. The paramedics were NOT dispatched to my accident because EMTs said I would be long dead before they got to scene. I lost a promised job as LEO with small dept. Pain, discomfort for rest of my life, 2 months in hospital, many surguries, (more to come) Just under a GALLON of donated blood (when all said/done). etc.etc.... So I HATE impared drivers.
    Fine them, take away lic, make them do comm service, ignition interlock,..... Murder. NO.

17. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Thanks for the correction. If so, my opinion of the "father on the phone at the airport" has taken a deep, deep dive. HH

18. Hrsuhd

Hrsuhd

+ alot

19. sputnik767

sputnik767

I did a 1 month rotation on the trauma surgery service in a level 1 trauma center hospital. I have seen what drunk driving can do, and one case in particular will stay with me forever. I'm not going to talk about it due to HIPAA. What I don't believe is that people should take matters into their own hands and dish out justice as they see fit. This is America, not butthole Afghanistan or sub-Saharan Africa. Note that I never said that our punishments for drunk drivers are adequate, nor am I advocating leniency.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  20. sputnik767

sputnik767

First off, I'm not giving out medical advice here, I don't have to live up to my presentation for anybody on this board. I'm not here in the capacity of a physician.

Second, your belief that drunk drivers deserve roadside killing has me believing that your mind isn't exactly in the right place. Your gun is there to protect yourself and your loved ones, not to dish out justice as you see fit. I'm not saying that we should not have harsher punishments for the types of criminals that you've described, but it is not your call to make. And there is no way you can spin roadside killings into something that doesn't allude to a vigilante style execution.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013