close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fast Handling Shotgun

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by JBJ16, Mar 12, 2010.

1. JBJ16

JBJ16

May 9, 2007
    YOUR BLINDSIDE
    For me a conventional fixed stock shotgun feels and handles faster than one with the pistol grip and stock. At least with the Mossberg 590A1 and 88 Maverick I borrowed and tested.

I was shooting multiple poppers at 10-15yds, and also IPSC boards.

YMMV, can you share your experience?
    :cool:

ETA: Lets limit this to pump action shotguns

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. bikerdog

bikerdog

Feb 11, 2009
    I think it might depend on the type of pistol grip stock your using. I have 2 remington 870's, one with a standard stock with a shortened LOP and one with a speedfeed solid stock again with a shortened LOP. I found that the speedfeed for me at least handles a little faster. but it might be to because I train a lot with an M4 and the pistol grip just feels more like the M4.

3. I think it would have more to do with what you are used to and train with.

I know you asked to go with pumps only, but...

I grew up with a double barrel shotgun, 18" BBL. I carried this gun a million times and using it became as natural to me as breathing. It was an old 'coach' gun that my father had bought for CAS when I was young and it got handed down to me. Low comb, straight grip with just a slight curve of a pistol grip. It was light, easy to maneuver and handle and became what I knew.

When the time came for a HD shotgun, I bought a pump. Conventional stock, 18.5" BBL. Overall weight and length are the same as the SxS I grew up using (and still have in the closet) and as such, it was more of a matter of retraining the controls. Now, instead of 'swing, squeeze, follow through, squeeze, break, pull, load, close, swing, pull...' is is 'swing, squeeze, follow through, pump, squeeze...'

I have not thought of putting a pistol grip on the pump. It is not what I am familiar with, and I have never tried firing one. I will admit that the thought of one crossed my mind when I first got the pump, but it would lead to unfamiliarity IMO and might cause me issues going from one shotgun to the other. I still regularly use both for different loads.

The SxS is an old `60s model Rossi Coach Gun, and the pump is an NEF Pardner Protector.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  4. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    A couple of Saturday's ago I went quail hunting with some friends. One bird is not so hard to hit, but two or three as they rise is tough. I use a Rem. 870. It shucks shells like water going over a water fall. Of course it has the plain field stock. But it seems that if such a configuration works so well on moving targets like multiple birds, it would be effective for any other use. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

5. JBJ16

JBJ16

May 9, 2007
    YOUR BLINDSIDE
    ^ ^ ^ that makes a lot of sense. FWIW in videos I have seen, the IPSC champs I saw were using conventional stock shotguns.

I know in IPSC, speed/the least time to finish a run is a premium. :cool: