close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Family vacations

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tehan2, May 27, 2012.

1. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

vacation coming up end of july/begining of august....but wife and I have no idea what we want to do, or where we want to go...

so, suppose "money's not an issue" (within reason), where you you go for vacation? here are the only "musts"

1. It must not be out of our country
    2. It must be enjoyable for husband/wife and 2 daughters (ages 9 and 10). A real family vacation

fire away!!

2. Miraclesix

Miraclesix

Southern, Maine. Unbelievable, Rockland has their annual lobster feat around the same time. It's more mid coast. Portland,Cape Elizabeth and Old Orchard are great places. If your wife likes shopping send her to Freeport and go deep sea fishing!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: May 27, 2012

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

southern Utah. you'll need more than a week to see everything though. There's six national parks in southern Utah including the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

4. Naelbis

Naelbis

Williamsburg, VA area. You can see Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown settlement, Yorktown battlefields and Civil war battlefields all within a days drive. Plus there is Busch Gardens amusement park for the kids and the Budwieser bottling plant for you :wavey:.

5. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

How long do you have? Are you driving? Camp or motels? You want mountains or beach? You like national parks or cities?

6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

2 young kids, Disney World

:50cal:

7. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I have to agree with that. I've been there so many times I'm bored with it, but it can keep a family entertained for a week.

8. sourdough44

sourdough44

Where are we starting from? Sounds like the mountain West?

9. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

A REAL family vacation...

Go camping.

And, not at a "campground".

10. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I agree with this one. We have went almost every year and it is always fun. For 4 people plan on $150 a day for meals and misc trinkets (there is a gift shop at the end of almost every ride and $3.50ish bottles of water). But really it is enjoyable.

However summer is hot and lines are long.....I prefer off season when lines are short or not there.

Dana

11. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

we've done Disney the last 2 years... I think we're looking for something different this year.

We live now in Colorado, and moved from the north east coast. My wife suggested going back for a week, staying in NH or Maine for the beach, but spending a day with the grandparents too (maybe invite them up to the beach for the week). To me...that's not a vacation. I love my parents (and even my MIL), but not sure I want to spend a week at the beach with them

12. jpa

jpa CLM

How about texas? They have amusement parks, historical stuff like the Alamo, shooting for dad etc.

13. Restless28

Restless28

A friend of mine takes his family to the Outer Banks each year. They pack plenty of supplies and use 4WD to reach the sparsely populated area. They see wild horses and pigs and are very secluded there. It's a very beautiful place.

I would say D.C. , but I've been there in the summer. It's miserable with all of the walking.

I'm offering these since you live out west.

14. Ironbar

Ironbar

Yeah, this is the worst idea for a 9 & 10 year old in tow. I mean REALLY bad idea.

Disneyland or Disneyworld. If they've never been, they'll have a ball!

As far as other amusement parks, unless you KNOW FOR A FACT they are in to extreme rides, then I'd stay away from places like Six Flags, Knott's Berry, Busch Gardens.

15. Ironbar

Ironbar

Sorry, missed this post before I commented.

OK, how about San Francisco or Seattle? Vancouver B.C.?

16. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Funny how my daughter's had some of their best vacations doing that, toddler through adulthood. We have plans to go next week.

But, they are a little more rugged than the average girly-girl.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  17. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Well you live in Colorado so I suppose you've been to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Royal Gorge, Million Dollar highway, RMNP, and Zion or the Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore etc.

On the other hand, consider going to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky. It is pretty awesome, you can not only take cave tours but you can do cave crawling type tours as well. Go to Fort Knox/Patton Armor Museum while in the area. Maybe do Kentucky Lakes and/or Cumberland Gap/river.

Or come to northern Michigan. Come up to Mackinac Island (horse and buggy or bikes only, no cars) and/or the Traverse City/Leelenau Peninsula area, Sleeping Bear dunes etc. Lots to do there.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Here is a suggestion.

Go to jensens and buy a weeks worth of ammo, a new toy, and a membership at trigger time.

Take the family to trigger time for a week. :)

Btw I did not suggest that it was someone else.

If you want a fun getaway (not really a vacation) go to glennwood. There is an alpine coaster there that is a blast! They have this stupid little amusement park and for about $30 a day you can ride everything as much as you want. My kid absolutely loved the alpine coaster And the laser tag.

Dana

19. medic2258

medic2258

Disney Cruise. It has something for everyone of all ages.

20. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Washington DC?

Might be better for boys, but I know at a young age (pre-teen) my father had a business trip there that my mother and I went on. I'm an only child, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Smithsonian Air and Space (this was back in the day in the early 80's, not since the expansion of it), the zoo, Arlington, and many of the other sites there.

We didn't get to do the White House or the capitol and some of the other sites, but I DO plan on taking my two boys (seven - twins) there one day once they are a little older and can understand and appreciate it more.

I don't know if it's something girls would like, but possibly.