close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fair price for a pistol grip converted MAK90?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by fnfalman, Oct 10, 2010.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I saw a converted MAK90 with wooden stock and pistol grip that fairly matches the handguard. The gun shop is asking $850. I think that's probably about $200 too high. A typical MAK90 runs around $400-450 with the butthole stock. Figure maybe $200 for conversion parts and maybe an hour worth of labor. That's about $600-650 for a converted MAK in my book. Or am I overlooking something?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Glocker08

Glocker08
    Expand Collapse

I agree, $850 is way overpriced. Personally I would pay maybe $600 max, and it would have to be in really good condition for me to do that. Otherwise, your really not getting much of a deal. Just my .02

3. TheGrimReaper

TheGrimReaper
    Expand Collapse

Yes, way to high! Great Ak's, but way to high.

4. DrugRunR

DrugRunR
    Expand Collapse

It also depends on exactly what was used in the conversion.

I have 2 Mak90's. Both were converted using original parts. Both have cleaning rod holders, bayo lugs, and original chinese furniture.

Those are worth more then one that just have had the stock itself changed and the muzzle threaded.

$850 is high, $650 to $750 should be the correct price if properly converted.

#4 DrugRunR, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  5. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla
    Expand Collapse

+1. A good milled receiver conversion would definitely be worth more.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

This is a stamped MAK. I'll offer the shop $600 and see if they are willing to negotiate.

7. rhone89

rhone89
    Expand Collapse

If its stamped, then they really didnt "convert" anything, they just put a new stock set on it. I bought a stamped mak-90 at a gun show in the late 90s when they were cheap. I put a pistol grip and new stock on it without any modification to the gun at all. I was only 17 with no experience with AKs a the time, and no internet resources to show me what to do.

So... if a kid could do that, no way is a "conversion" worth much on a stamped mak-90.

8. DrugRunR

DrugRunR
    Expand Collapse

a true conversion changes out the gas block and the front sight block.

To just change out the stock itself isn't a true conversion. It isn't like a saiga where you must really modify the receiver in order to change it to a pistol grip stock.

9. rhone89

rhone89
    Expand Collapse

exactly, mak-90s use the standard rear trunnion, so just about any standard AK stock and grip can be used without much fuss.

10. CarlosC

CarlosC
    Expand Collapse
    AK Fanatic

Actually, the stamped MAKs use a thicker steel than the standard AKM, so fitting a normal stock will require some filing to make it fit.

11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

In 2000, I found this Milled Mak-90 in a pawn shop for $175 OTD.
    [​IMG]

The stock set is from Iron Wood. The post ban milled mak-90's have a round hole and a reverse cut under the rear edge of the receiver. It makes it nearly impossible to put a standard buttstock from a pre-ban milled AK-47.

When buying AK's, you have to know they tend to multiply. I am up to 4........so far.
    [​IMG]
    :cool: