Failure to Aid a Law Enforcement Officer

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by YtownGlock, Feb 7, 2012.

1. The word de jour for him is Pillock. He is a shining example of one.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. GT Bikers
    3. The JBT's
    4. Project Mayhem

Yes, but are you posting as an Agency?

3. eb31

eb31 ANARCHY!

I have zero legal or moral obligation to help anyone, civilian or LEO. Try to bring in to court. Bet it doesn't go far.

4. I've always thought of different scenarios in order to be prepared.

If a non LEO comes upon a situation where a uniformed Cop is on the ground getting beat up, what are the options?

Is deadly force allowed? Hit the BG over the head with a tire iron? Ask the BG to please refrain from violent behavior? lol.

5. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

I would assist for sure (as I believe most would). If an officer is in the ditch on the side of the road with a BG & getting his butt handed to him and I saw it of course that BG is going to have to deal w/ me too.

But here in Texas there is no legal or moral obligation to help or assist an LEO. Your only duty is to report a crime. Nothing else.

6. My opinions are that of a bitter and retired street cop whose greatest dilemma was what to detest more - the decline of humanity or his agency administrators.

7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I audibly laughed.

What we need is no people like you.

8. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity
    Lifetime Member
    2. GT Bikers
    3. The JBT's
    4. Project Mayhem

Texas CCP 2.14

9. RussP

Art. 2.14. [38] [45] [46] MAY SUMMON AID. Whenever a peace
    officer meets with resistance in discharging any duty imposed upon
    him by law, he shall summon a sufficient number of citizens of his
    county to overcome the resistance; and all persons summoned are
    bound to obey.

Acts 1965, 59th Leg., vol. 2, p. 317, ch. 722, eff. Jan. 1, 1966. ​

#89 RussP, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  10. RussP

eb31 has his purpose.

11. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

I suspect a person would need to have morals in the first place in order to be obligated by them.

OP: Good luck at the academy when you go back.

12. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

I do not believe that is in the same context because it is referring to deputizing--- has everything to do about citizens of his county. What if I am in Dallas County but I am a resident of Collin County? My information about no obligation to render aid is coming from the CHL Instructor DPS Officer in Austin so take it for what it's worth.

13. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity
    Lifetime Member
    2. GT Bikers
    3. The JBT's
    4. Project Mayhem

CCP 2.14 actually doesnt use the word "deputize" at all. If a cop gives you a lawful order/request to help. This will apply. You have no duty to do so without that order/request.

The problem with CCP 2.14 is CCP 2.15. It doesnt spell out a penalty...just that there is one.

14. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Though I would be willing to put myself in danger to assist an officer there is no legal obligation that I do it. And a Texas Officer cannot legally place my life or my family in danger to do his job. It is just not the way it works.

#94 Javelin, Feb 10, 2012
  15. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity
    Lifetime Member
    2. GT Bikers
    3. The JBT's
    4. Project Mayhem

Placing yourself in "danger" and "failure to render aid" are not always the same thing.

of all the people on Glock Talk, you are among the worst when it comes to getting simple facts straight and just keep plowing forward. Good luck with that.

16. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Your remarks are interesting Rabbi. Probably why I have to click to view each and every one of your posts. Yeah I am not the best at anything. Worst at everything. How I made it this far who the hell knows.

I guess it is all in context. If an officer tells someone to render aid by picking up his handcuffs he dropped is one thing or possibly giving information which the citizen is also obliged to perform.

An officer telling a citizen at the scene of a crime to assist in the physical arrest of a BG (which some CCW'ers daydream about) is a completely different matter and which is the context in which I believe this thread is talking about.

So simple facts are only important when it is in a specific context I guess. But all this is just generalities and it is true I don't like generalities.

EDIT: And for the record Rabbi - I don't think you are a complete tool just that your posts are condescending and logic skewed to meet whatever agenda you have at the time.

#96 Javelin, Feb 10, 2012
  17. eb31

eb31 ANARCHY!

Well said sir. Well said.

18. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

True. Prestige worldwide!

19. eb31

eb31 ANARCHY!

Great post! You have Russ pegged to a T. All mouth towards others until it comes back at him.

YTown, moneymaker is right. Don't let the morons here bother you. They are just that, morons.

20. RussP

Exactly, to which post do you think I should reply, and exactly what should I say?

#100 RussP, Feb 10, 2012