close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Factory Stakeing is outdated!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by shineybore, Feb 4, 2010.

1. While at work looking through some old threads on here and reading all the bickering about stakeing the gas key. Being an engineer and all I have thought of the best solution for stakeing a gas key.

Tac weld the key in place. Trust me the key will not budge under any combat situation. My co-worker thinks J.B Weld is the better solution.

So what do ya think? :dunno:

Disclaimer: I'm not serious.

2. BEER

BEER bad example

May 2, 2006
    Dayton, Texas
    i'm a redneck so i just use bailing wire and duct tape.

3. IMHO, the obsession with "proper staking" is silly. Without some sort of test, how does one determine if one dent in metal will hold a bolt in place better than another? Visual observation is purely speculation and is totally subjective. Oh- I am not suggesting that it is not important to have the bolts on the gas key staked.

4. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

Nov 12, 2006

:rofl:

its TWO dents, cupcake :whistling:

5. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  6. I think you are correct that a tack weld would hold better then staking, but welds change the metallurgy a bit and the weld could crack. Welding also means that the gas key is now permanently attached. With staking it is still possible to remove the bolts.

I don't think welding is necessary when staking works just fine.

As for JB Weld, you have the same problem as using Loc-Tite on the gas key bolts. Heat breaks down JB Weld. Under extended firing the gas key could get hot enough to melt the JB weld, then the screws would loosen easily.

Bottom line, the AR15 platform has been around for almost 50 years now, pretty much everything has been tried for attaching the gas key and staking is still the best option.

7. After every cleaning you should inspect the welds and look for failue. If you see some spots that look like it could crack. Tac weld em again. I think more testing needs to be done in order to prove this theroy.

P.S. I'm still not being serious....

8. I gotta learn to read the fine print.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Yep,....you can fix anything with that!

10. Yes, I am aware of that.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

VA, yer killing me here.

12. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    I use a C-clamp behind the nut, tightened down on the tube. Works for me.

13. Onmilo

Onmilo

Jul 10, 2005
    Illinois
    Since the gas key screws are normally installed with a thread locking compound applied to the threads, then the cap screws are tightened to a specified torque setting, in reality staking becomes nothing more than a redundency.

14. Range Rat

Range Rat

Mar 5, 2009
    GA & SC
    Why do I think of "the chart" every time I read a thread like this. That stupid thing makes a lot of people feel bad about what they have purchased.

15. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    And most use Rocksett thread locker. It's good the about 1100 degrees C

16. yup.

Don't get me started about the obsession over MPI testing.

17. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    How dare thee mock the All Mighty Chart!

[​IMG]

18. +1

Based on 25 years of building racing engines- If thread lockers can hold bolts, and head studs in place in a 900hp sprint car engine spinning at almost 9000 rpm's, I am positive that it will do the same on gas key bolts.

19. Frog1

Frog1

Aug 28, 2009
    Currently, there is a whole bunch ado about nothing worries published about AR's on the internet. I am having a hard time not really pissing off a bunch of internet experts. So I am not going to say much. The staking paranoia is just one of the items I could rant about.

Number two, the brand bashing and reliability concerns are all easy fixes. There is not one brand of AR on the market that can't be made very reliable with just a couple simple and inexpensive additions. They are the BCM heavy duty extractor upgrade with d ring. The next simple fix is proper lubrication.

The last item is to replace wear items when they are supposed to be replaced. Worn out magazines is a problem. Extractor, buffer, trigger, and related springs. That's about it.

None of the so called lesser brands are going to dissenagrate due to poor materials used. None of them are using poor materials.

20. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

Nov 12, 2006
    would you mind listing your credentials, please ?