close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Factory barrels...357Sig barrels - fully-supported chambers?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by scotty45, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I'm undecided on .357Sig or 10mm but whatever I do choose will be an EDC weapon for when my back is hurting and the 5" Colt is too heavy. I shoot the G21 and G30 really well, have only shot a G20 for my 10mm experience and a P239 for my .357Sig experience.

I'd probably lean toward the .357Sig cartridge but barrel-wise, I'd want a definitely 100% reliable and fully-supported chamber.

Obviously, my two choices are a G29 or a G32 (small enough for me...the skinny baby Glocks are a bit too small, but the fatter 29/30 are fine). I know if I got the G29 it'd be a bit fatter for my IWB carry, but I would definitely get a .357Sig barrel for it. The advantage of the G29 is I can shoot both...with the G32 I cannot shoot some 10mm goodness. I have zero interest in the .40 - don't want to start a caliber war here really. I like .45 ACP, and the only rounds that interest me beyond it are the 357 and 10.

Long story short - I want the most reliable and fully-supported chamber/barrel so do I start with what I will likely carry (.357) or get the less-likely model since I will upgrade for sure and be a little more $$ out of pocket but the flexibility is there? I have heard as many good and bad testimonials for KKM, Storm Lake, LW barrels and that the Glock .40 barrels aren't fully supported but perhaps the .357 Sig ones are? Am I remembering any of that correctly?

Doe that make any sense or is my rambling somewhat coherent? :whistling:

2. grenadier

grenadier

May 4, 2000
    Alabama
    The 357 Sig chambered Glocks have well-supported chambers, and you don't get the bulging that is present in some of the other calibers.

I've used the same set of Sellier and Bellot brass fired out of my Glock 31 7+ times, and the brass was still in excellent condition (125 grain bullet, 1400 fps).

3. DocWills

DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    Most of the support issues relate to 2 things,early unlock and lack of support.Glock has actually quietly addressed both in Gen 4.

4. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    If you get a G29, and get a conversion barrel, the conversion barrel will be fully supported. Otherwise, I dont believe any glock barrel can truthfully be called FULLY supported.

5. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    But, with the G29, you can shoot any loads you want out of it, but the brass will be ruined with hotter loads, which only matters if you reload.

6. SiberianErik

SiberianErik

Feb 9, 2009
    You are my kinda guy. At one time I only had a 10MM. .357 sig and .45 AP.. Screw every thing else as far as autos are concerned.

7. MonsterB

MonsterB

Dec 18, 2009
    There is no such thing as a fully supported chamber in a semi auto.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    A 100% fully supported barrel in a semi-automatic pistol would make it a single shot pistol, as ammo would not feed from the magazine. I do not think you are looking for that.

9. Thanks everyone for the input so far. :)

I don't understand this last sentence completely, arushus...are you saying any Glock barrel (factory Glock vs aftermarket) or the concept of any barrel in a Glock pistol being fully supported.

Are they fully supported in Sig P Series pistols (P239, P229, P226)?

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Sigs fall under the category of "any Semi-automatic." The answer is no.

11. Okay, so NO barrels are have fully-supported chambers...just some that are more supported than others. Is that what I'm reading?

12. MonsterB

MonsterB

Dec 18, 2009
    Yes, that is correct. A fully suported chamber is what you see on a revolver, where the opening for the bullit is the same all around, and fully covers the whole side of the bullit casing. . Semi autos have a feed ramp, which cuts into the opening, to allow the bullit to feed. Saying you need a fully suppported chamber when you are talking about a semi, means you dont know what fully supported actually means. Hard to reccomend something to the op that doesnt actually exist.

13. AHHH! Light bulb just lit over my head. Thanks for that explanation. I am a 1911 owner and so I understand the critical need for that feed ramp for reliable feeding. Thanks for bringing me into the light there and out of the ignorance. :wavey:

I hate to bring up the (mythical or not-mythical) "KB" issues that I read about years ago that seemed to be just on the .40 models and there was all of this talk about the fully supported chambers and all that crap. Again - don't want a flame war on the KB factor, but as a potential first time Glock buyer and selecting two damn powerful calibers, I am just being super cautious in my research. I've seen some comparison pix on this forum and just want to do it right the first time.

So, that was the root of my worries and what I should expect to go with if I went with a G32 (keep stock barrel or not) or a G29 (which .357 Sig barrel is best aftermarket).

14. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I was saying that barrel companies like lonewolf call their barrels fully supported, so if you bought an aftermarket barrel, it would be fully supported, or at least supported enough that there isnt any damage done to the brass when shooting.

15. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Well there you go; you've answered your own question. The obvious choice is to buy the 10mm and purchase an aftermarket .357sig barrel and magazines, etc ...

16. dpadams6

dpadams6

Jan 5, 2010
    Also be aware that aftermarket barrels will never be as reliable as factory. If for edc. Choose all stock. That would cancel the 29;with 357 barrel. Imho

17. Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I guess with reliability in mind, the best choice is a G32...just the decision as to Gen3 or Gen4 (I couldn't shoot the Gen4 G19 I rented as well as the Gen3...training issue on my part or if I swapped the backstrap I suppose I could mirror the grip of the Gen3. You just don't get to change the backstraps on the rentals, of course).

If there are things that are resolved with the Gen4 G32 (as DocWills reports), then it's worth a try. Still so new, though, and not battle-proven like the Gen3. Although I'm not sure what the stats are on the .357 models - there is no way they're going to be as popular and utilized as the .40 and 9mm in LE and military (if military uses Glocks).

I like grenadier's testimonial of the repeated usage of the same brass. Wait, he didn't say that that was a Gen3...I assumed.

@grenadier: What generation is your 31?

18. L Pete

L Pete

Mar 4, 2011
    I know you don't like the "skinny" Glocks, but a G36 would solve you problem. It's pretty easy to hide, and it's pretty lightweight.