Glock Talk banner

Eye issue...Any easy resolution?

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
I recently bought a glock 23 and have put about 500 rounds down range trying to get over my flinch/slap issues. Getting better and working through them. On to my main issue...I am right handed and right eye dominant but had my right eye cut by someone's fingernail about 30 years ago. As I have gotten older my eyesight in that eye has degraded especially in the center of the eye. I learned to shoot pistols when i was about 6 or 7 but have not shot them for about 20 years. I really enjoy shooting them but have noticed that my vision in my dominant eye makes it more difficult to maintain center when bullseye shooting. Will be going to eye doc to try to help but i wanted to find out if there are any viable techniques to utilize the opposite eye. Normally shoot out of weaver type stance. Having been checking out CAR due to use of opposite eye. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

#3 ·
I believe Jeff Cooper was cross dominant, so it is by no means unusual or will prevent you from shooting well. As prolific a writer as he was, I expect you can do a search including his name for some examples and information. Generally speaking with handguns (given many folks' use for defensive/tactical shooting disciplines) leaving both eyes open but having the head cocked to the side to align the eyes is the basic idea. In bullseye, it is more likely acceptable to either use a dominant eye blinder or a pair of shooting glasses with a blacked out eye, especially while retraining your eyes. Overcoming a lifetime of using the other eye (and the natural dominance of it) may take plenty of practice but it's definitely possible. I'm on a mobile device ATM which makes it a bit slower to pull links, but I'll happily post some reference material later in the day on this topic if its not already been answered in depth by then.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to overcome the issue and an astigmatism in the same eye. I'll check out what i can find on Jeff Cooper and try the tape over the eye to retrain. It would be nice to get to where i can shoot with both eyes open for defensive training. TT...I was checking out YouTube and saw a couple of Hickok45's videos explaining that he uses the chin tuck and his left eye while pistol shooting due to an astigmatism. I'll give it a try and update with a range report. Thank you for the info on the matter!

#5 · (Edited)
You should have regular eye checkups. Things like glaucoma, macular degeneration, detached retinas and cataracts can sneak up on you.

Without a professional exam, you will just not know and you can end out blind.

The professionals can offer options and help deal with issues if you are seen early and often.

One additional note: I had very bad astigmatism in both eyes, and after LASIK, they are gone. Not all have this option, but it worked for me.

#7 ·
I am right handed but shoot rifles left handed due to the very poor sight of my right eye. When I shoot pistols , I use my right hand but seem to hold them more to the left and use my left eye and place the pistol about where it would be if holding it with the left hand . It may look a little strange but it works for me. It has never really been a problem and when I took my HCP class I shot the best score in the class.

I would suggest maybe covering the right eye and practice . Sometimes we just have to adapt .

#9 ·
ACitizen,
I'm in a similar situation as you except that my cuts were self inflicted by RK in the 1980's. I recently got new glasses to help with the astigmatism and have noticed the sight picture is much better. I haven't been able to go out shooting yet. Here is a video link from hickok45 who is right handed and left eye dominant. It may help. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXsK9ZQsWE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sXsK9ZQsWE[/ame]

#10 ·
I recently bought a glock 23 and have put about 500 rounds down range trying to get over my flinch/slap issues. Getting better and working through them. On to my main issue...I am right handed and right eye dominant but had my right eye cut by someone's fingernail about 30 years ago.

As I have gotten older my eyesight in that eye has degraded especially in the center of the eye. I learned to shoot pistols when i was about 6 or 7 but have not shot them for about 20 years. I really enjoy shooting them but have noticed that my vision in my dominant eye makes it more difficult to maintain center when bullseye shooting.

Will be going to eye doc to try to help but i wanted to find out if there are any viable techniques to utilize the opposite eye. Normally shoot out of weaver type stance. Having been checking out CAR due to use of opposite eye. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
:) All is not lost!

The good news is that the right side of your brain, and your left eye are consistently more accurate - and easier to shoot with - than the left side of your brain, and your right eye. There's even a number of passages in the Holy Bible attesting to this fact! (The unerringly accurate left-handed sling throwers of Benjamin referenced in The Book Of Judges 20:16.)

I'm, also, living proof that you can shoot a pistol more accurately with your left-hand and eye than you can with your right. Years ago I lost the use of my right-hand for about a year and a half.

During this time I began shooting with my left-hand; and, importantly, I also switched to using my left eye too. It's been decades since that accident happened; and, guess what? I'm still more accurate with my left-hand/left eye than with my right! I am faster with my right-hand; but not as accurate. I guess it's just how the human brain works!

I'm not going to tell you what to do; but, if I were to offer any advice it would be that once you start shooting with your left-hand you should stay that way. After awhile it'll become a habit; and, once it's programmed into your habit pattern, you'll be fine - Even when you move at speed. (Like I said, 'I'm living proof.') ;)

#11 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to overcome the issue and an astigmatism in the same eye. I'll check out what i can find on Jeff Cooper and try the tape over the eye to retrain. It would be nice to get to where i can shoot with both eyes open for defensive training. TT...I was checking out YouTube and saw a couple of Hickok45's videos explaining that he uses the chin tuck and his left eye while pistol shooting due to an astigmatism. I'll give it a try and update with a range report. Thank you for the info on the matter!
An eye-patch for your right eye would be a bit more comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.