Glock Talk banner

EXTRACTOR lubrification ?

14K views 44 replies 30 participants last post by  MarcDW 
#1 ·
Hi my dear American Friends!
Just a question!
May I lube the extractor or does it works dry?
For lubrification I want to say just a little bit where it's sitted.
Thank you!
Paolo

#27 ·
"I've done XYZ and had no problems" doesn't mean it is good practice. Armorers know stuff--right?

Rust: anyone had problems with this?

"If one drop can make a Glock go down..." By all means, put dog poo into your FP channel to test what you can do to a Glock before it malfunctions.

EDIT: sorry this may have come off more sarcastic and less funny than I intended.
Use your Google fu and search for "glock rust in firing pin channel" champ! You're naive at best if you think Glocks are immune!

#29 ·
What about using a dry lube like molybdenum disulfide? It doesn't attract anything, and, since a gun is just another machine, the proper lube helps keep moving parts separated to prevent wear.

#30 · (Edited)
Clusterfrack, there are two different kinds of armorers. There are the ones who really know their stuff because they are able think beyond of what they have learned, they just know why and how something works. And then there are the ones who know what they have learned at the armorers course and that's it. Same thing with the instructors.

Doctors over in Europe (probably in the US too) in the 1930's-40's (?) told their patients to pick up some radium enriched toothpaste, baby blankets, and some radium enriched drinks and foods because it's good for you.

#31 ·
Clusterfrack, there are two different kinds of armorers. There are the ones who really know their stuff because they are able think beyond of what they have learned, they just know why and how something works. And then there are the ones who know what they have learned at the armorers course and that's it. Same thing with the instructors.

Doctors over in Europe (probably in the US too) in the 1930's-40's (?) told their patients to pick up some radium enriched toothpaste, baby blankets, and some radium enriched drinks and foods because it's good for you.
:supergrin:

#32 ·

Ok ok. Good points all.

I used Eezox in the FP channels of my 1911s when I used to carry them. I've never worried about corrosion in Glocks and HK and never had a problem in many years of hard use.

#39 ·
Make sure you reassemble the slide correctly. Biggest common mistakes are 1) Lube in the striker channel and EDP assembly. And 2) EDP assembly installed backwards. Think metal on metal, plastic on plastic. EDP metal end in first (contacting the extractor). EDP Spring and plastic bearing contacting the slide cover plate.

#42 ·
Oil anywhere inside the slide will cause soot to stick in there and gum things up eventually, as it does on all guns that are not cleaned enough. Yes, you can get away with it if you take the gun apart and clean it a lot because you're cleaning it before it gets gummed up too badly. But unless you clean it a lot, (as too many Glock owners fail to do) oil will cause problems down the road when the soot starts to build up.

On metal parts that are as well protected with anti-rust coatings as Glock parts are, no oil is needed to keep rust away - but a Glock is one of the few guns I'd say that about. Almost every gun I ever owned was a lot more rust prone that Glocks are, so I oil the crap out of them and clean them every time they are shot.

The firing pin channel, because of the material the plastic liner is made of, already has all the natural lubricity it could possibly need. The extractor, if it fits and works right when clean, also needs no oil at all to keep it moving freely, and with no oil on it, it will stay cleaner, longer.

If you're one of those guys who'd rather not clean his gun more than once every thousand rounds or so, no oil is better than oiling stuff that really didn't need it. If you clean your guns every time you shoot them - as I do - over oiling them isn't going to cause a problem. But as for the question of "Is oil needed?" for my Glock the answer is no, and I don't do it to that gun - except for that little spot on the connector and on the guide rails where the manual tells you to oil it..

#43 ·
Use your Google fu and search for "glock rust in firing pin channel" champ! You're naive at best if you think Glocks are immune!
Yes, but the truth is that anything, even the best anti-rust coated arts, can be induced to rust if subjected to certain outrageous treatment. Animal urine, bleach, and certain other things you should never clean a gun with can put rust on almost anything but a bar of pure gold. And I'm not surprised that .0001 percent of the Glocks that have ever been made have suffered rust on them because somebody cleaned them with the wrong stuff, and caused their own rust problem while the rest of the world never gets a speck of it. The pictures you speak of prove nothing about any supposed need to put oil in a firing pin channel. I assure you, all the rust in those pictures was caused by something besides just exposure to humid air. There's some sort of gun-abuse issue involved in those cases, unless it's just a faulty slide that never got it's coatings applied right.

Worrying about rust in a Glock slide is like worrying about a meteorite falling on your head. Technically possible? Yes. A realistic fear? No.

#45 ·
The only time I detailed stripped my Glock slide I put a very light film of RemOil on the extractor before replacing it. The gun's still flawless, as always. Just feel a bit better thinking it might prevent any rust from accumulating.
Glock recommends against this, since it could course oil getting into the primer and then you have a miss fire.
There is no need to do this for rust prevention, since the firing pin does not rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.