Glock Talk banner

Extended barrel, and Buffalo Bore .45 ACP

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  CanyonMan 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've got my Glock 21 here, and I'm looking to throw an extended length barrel in the gun; Either the LWD 6" barrel, or the LWD 6.61" barrel, depending on if you guys think the 6.61" would be better. Now, I'm looking at using either the Buffalo Bore 230grn FMJ-FN or the Buffalo Bore 255 Hard Cast FN. BB states that out of a 5" barrel, the 230grn was moving at 981fps and the 255grn was moving at 960fps. Can anyone tell me about how those two loads would act in a 6" barrel, instead of the 5"? Would the 6.61" make a big difference over the 6"? This is intended for the woods, with black bears being the largest possible threat.

Also, I don't handload now, so BB seems like the best bet, but if anyone else knows of a good stout load, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any input. And please refrain from suggesting any other caliber/firearm. Obviously .45 ACP isn't ideal, and I'm considering several options now, but this thread is specifically to learn about this one. Thanks again!

#3 · (Edited)
http://underwoodammo.com Check out the 230gr +p:cool: I believe he test out of a g21 but you should email him about this load out of a 6" barrel.
Thanks man, that seems to be smokin along... Any idea what length they test their loads in, or where I can find that info? I know they say no test barrels or something to that effect.

EDIT -read my mind lol. I'll be sure to email him. That seems like a pretty promising round.

#4 ·
Thanks man, that seems to be smokin along... Any idea what length they test their loads in, or where I can find that info? I know they say no test barrels or something to that effect.

EDIT -read my mind lol. I'll be sure to email him. That seems like a pretty promising round.
I emailed him. You could probably call also to make sure its safe out of the longer barrel.

#6 ·
Got an email from Kevin saying it was safe to shoot out of the 6" and 6.61" barrels, and that it was in fact tested in a Glock 21 4.6" barrel.

And on a side note, I sent that email at 7:45, and got a response at 12:05... They have a new customer, just because of that.

#8 ·
Well Kevin Underwood mentioned that he would guess there would be around a 100FPS increase with a 6" barrel. I've got a new toy right now, so it'll be a couple weeks before I get the barrel, but I'd like to get a chrono and see for myself exactly what speeds we're looking at.

#9 ·
I have owned two 6" Longslide 1911's. For the heavier 230 gr bullets, going from a 5 to 6" is not a huge difference. On average, I would estimate 30-50 FPS increase for standard 230 gr loads and 50-75 FPS for +P loads.

Also, all barrels have slight variance in performance, so a fast 5" barrel may have more velocity than a slow 6". Differences in chamber tightness etc.

The 45 Super is another option with the same barrel, if you really want power.

#10 · (Edited)
I'll agree the longer barrel will add some velocity, but it will be marginal. I'd also guess the difference would be less than 100 fps.

The other issue is (IMHO) with LW barrels.

An in-depth discussion here, including input from the guy that runs the company.

As one who has gone down this road buying a LW barrel to shoot lead, I'll sum it up by saying that they have very short throats / almost no freebore, which often interferes with proper chambering of larger (.452") lead bullets. The loads I was shooting out of a TRP, an Ed Brown, a Sig 220 and a stock G30 wouldn't run in this barrel. Yes, I can and did tailor some handloads to work in this barrel, but it defeated the whole purpose of having one load I can run in all my guns.

The LW barrels are built well IMHO, but I think he's missing the whole point of why people buy his barrels - shootin' lead. :eek:kie:

Guys I know that have KKM or Storm Lake barrels did not run into this issue.

Caveat Emptor

#11 · (Edited)
I'll agree the longer barrel will add some velocity, but it will be marginal. I'd also guess the difference would be less than 100 fps.

The other issue is (IMHO) with LW barrels.

An in-depth discussion here, including input from the guy that runs the company.

As one who has gone down this road buying a LW barrel to shoot lead, I'll sum it up by saying that they have very short throats / almost no freebore, which often interferes with proper chambering of larger (.452") lead bullets. The loads I was shooting out of a TRP, an Ed Brown, a Sig 220 and a stock G30 wouldn't run in this barrel. Yes, I can and did tailor some handloads to work in this barrel, but it defeated the whole purpose of having one load I can run in all my guns.

The LW barrels are built well IMHO, but I think he's missing the whole point of why people buy his barrels - shootin' lead. :eek:kie:

Guys I know that have KKM or Storm Lake barrels did not run into this issue.

Caveat Emptor

Hey pard,

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone today with KKM, because it would NOT eat XTP's or Hard Cast hand loads of mine at 1.260. Throat to short. They would not ream it and wanted me to change my loads down to 1.239. I said, Uh no, I don't think so, not with the charge I am running and loading that bullet from 1.260 back to 1.239.. No thnaks... Refund time !

Some guys I know Get a KKM/LW and it will feed and eat everything.. Mine would not, and I do not/am not going to change 12years worth of 10mm recipies just to shoot a KKM, just to save brass life.

The OEM glock barrels serve me well at even very long range with incredible accuracy, so I have had the LW and KKM experience and say :wavey: to them.

I'll stick with OEM, and all the lead and jacked I have pumped down the pipe over all these years with NO leading, NO issues, NO problems with COAL, NO nothing, except 'very reliable and very accurate function..'

Bye Bye AM barrels for me in Glocks. When an OEM G20 with a 200gr HC bullet drops a buck at 100yds... Why do i need another barrel ? ;)

Spending that $$$ just to save on a tad of brass life is not worth it..

BTW.. things and milage vary with loads/caliber/bullet, BUT in my experience/s 'stock length to 6" length' only produces 'on average' 40/50fps... Not worth it, and no big deal for me.

After 14 years with the Glocks and about 12 years with the 10mm's in Glock. I will stay with the OEM barrel that does it all. ;)

Keep it simple amigo's !

CM

#13 ·
No kidding? Learn something new every day. Basically the same grief I went through with LW...

1.260" is pretty darn long for an XTP bullet. I'm loading them at 1.210"... just like the factory loads. We are still talkin' .45 auto, right?

Nope. I gave my AM barrel bad experience with a 10mm bro. hahaha. not a 45acp..

I load my 45acp's, mostly all of them at 1.230, and a tad shorter depending on bullet/load etc..

But the 10mm XTP loads OF MINE with the powder and charge I am using is 1.260. Been doing this 1.230 with 230gr XTP's in 45acp, and 180gr/200gr XTP in the 10mm at 1.260 for yeeeears.

OEM's gobble them up with NO issues ever... Even in the little G36 45acp 1500 perfect rds through it at 7.7grs PP and 230gr XTP at 1.230 !

The KKM 10mm would not take the HC loads unless they were backed up to 1.239. Can't do that with my BD or AA9 powder charges at now 1.260. :wow:

Sorry, did not mean to give the impression I was talking about 45acp at 1.260... haha.

That help amigo ?

CM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.