close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Expiration dates you do/donot pay attention to?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Aug 5, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581
    Expand Collapse
    Curious Member

What are some products whose expiration dates you ignore...possibly without limit? What are the ones you religiously follow?

Personally, one I will NEVER mess with again is my migraine med. It's a nasal spray of Immitrex and once I used one that was expired by 6 months. Pretty much the worst head pain I've ever felt.

One I don't really pay any mind to is canned vegetables.

-Emt1581

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

3. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

I don't pay attention to them much on cans and drugs since I read that this stuff lasts a really long time for the most part. Processed foods in a box I think tastes different when it gets old but I am not afraid of the date within a year or two.

4. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

+1 on the cans. As long as it's intact it's safe. May get mushy/nasty/bland (and they eventually do; some things more than others), but as long as there's no breech in the can, they're safe afaik.

Drugs I'd be more concerned with, at least prescription drugs. Things like advil, aspirin, loratadine, etc; agree completely. They last a long, long time if kept in a good environment. May well lose some degree of potency, but never had any go "bad".

On boxed items like cereal & such, keeping the storage environment as dry as possible helps hugely. We keep ours at 35% humidity - the lowest setting on the dehumidifier - and expiration dates on cereal is really almost a non-issue.

5. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)
    Expand Collapse

Dairy, and only dairy.

Last night we had (among other things) 4 cheese rice-a-roni that "expired" 3 years ago. Not only was it fine.. a couple people commented that they had never had that flavor and how good it was.

We also had bread made from wheat I ground Saturday, but was grown in '74. Or at least was "put up" in '74, by my dad.

6. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

Really mostly just dairy. I get leary of milk within a couple of days of its expiration. Some juices if they are open. Don't get too wound up over canned stuff, unless dented up. Drugs are a sorted lot. It is my understanding that aspirin can degrade to a toxic state after awhile. Others can lose potency. I tend to replace OTC pain meds as they expire, which I lose money on them as I rarely ever take them.

7. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

I just ate yogurt that was expired for two months. Starting to get a little sour but no issues.

8. wjv

wjv
    Expand Collapse

There is no such thing as a "Expiration Date" on most foods anymore. It has been replaced by a "Best By" date, which is a conservative estimate. This is because the canning/packaging processes are so much improved over past methods.

Most canned foods for example are good for a couple years after their best buy date assuming the can is intact. All you loose is flavor, texture and nutrition, but 99.99% of the time there is no hazard in eating the food unless it looks or smells bad.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397002

9. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll go 4-5 days after on milk. Canned I don't worry about unless it's acidic (tomato sauce), in which case it usually gets tossed if it's months+ beyond the date.

Canned is where it's at. Good for years and years and years.

10. emt1581

emt1581
    Expand Collapse
    Curious Member

WOAH!!! :wow:

That is just awesome!

-Emt1581

11. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

12. DrMarc

DrMarc
    Expand Collapse
    Mountaineer

Watch out for Advil (ibuprofen). When it expires, it really does lose its potency. Sometimes nearly all of it within days/weeks of exp. date.

13. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo
    Expand Collapse

Yooz might find this site interesting. After dealing with five surgeries and pain from an E-coli infection starting in March of 2011, I'm afraid to eat much of anything that's not fresh and nearly burned. I've had salmonella a couple of times too that passed in a few days. Just about every bout of the runs is caused by some type of food born illness unless you lap up too many figs or too much grease etc. Be careful what you put in you. Not worth saving a few bones and getting sick over it.

http://stilltasty.com/