close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever witness someone die in front if you?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Knighj1, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Knighj1

Knighj1

Jan 11, 2007
    AL
    When I was 10(1993), I went on vacation with my mom, brother and his friend to Orange Beach. We stayed at the Perdido Beach Resort, one of the only places on the island at the time and was very upscale for its time. We unloaded our stuff in the room and we set out on a beach walk. My brother and his friend, were 5 years older than I was, so on the way to the beach we stopped by the cigarette machine(it was 93, they were $2 and had the pull knobs). Once they had their Marlboro's, which I still can't pronounce, we walked out to the beach.
    At this time is was a typical first day beach walk, until we saw a man float onto the shore unconscious. Some on the beach was able to revive him and as a group of 5-7 gathered we wondered if he was alone. We, being kids could not offer much, so we set out walk and smoke. About 1/8 of a mile down the beach his wife washes up at our feet and she was beyond dead. The ambulance came and they tried to revive her, but there was nothing they could do.

Anyone have anything like this happen to you? What's your story?

2. fireguy129

fireguy129 NRA Member 2008

May 31, 2001
    Northeast Pa, usa
    Ran on an ems squad for a bit, plus being with family members when they passed. Nothing to write home about.

3. badge315

badge315

Aug 14, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    I used to work in a hospital; I've seen plenty of people die in the trauma center. On the plus side, I've wrestled a gun away away from a suicidal individual and pulled a jumper in off a ledge, so I at least was able to prevent two people from dying before my eyes.

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Yes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Mar 20, 2003
    Land of the toothless!
    All the time. Mostly older people that had their proverbial "clock" stop. It happens to us all. I've seen a few trauma victims die but most of them are dead when I get there.

Two of note...

One poor guy had his rear tire on his Goldwing blow out at about 60mph. He was unconscious when I got to him and had massive chest trauma. I pleural decompressed one side and the second I pulled the needle out he died.

Another guy was incredibly lucky. I responded to a call of a gun shot wound to the head. I found the patient sitting up and talking. He had been shot in the forehead from about five feet away by a 9mm. The bullet penetrated his skin, hit his forehead and proceed to wrap around his head under his skin and between his skull prior to exiting right above his ear. All he needed was a few stitches and he was discharged from the E.R. a few hours later.

6. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Aug 25, 2005
    Florida
  7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Sadly so....

A car crash I came across on "the Airline" in Maine road about 20 years ago. Guy was ejected from his car.

And worse was a couple fellow workers I knew on the job sites. One had a heart attack and the other fell about 30 feet into the condenser.

Makes a person realize how fragile we are and how everything can end without any warning.

8. I'm in my 14th year of employment in the country club / hospitality gig of South Florida. Pack a couple hundred seniors a day into a facility of tennis, golf, boating, drinking, dancing, eating and hitting the gym all while under the hot sun. I can work an AED in my sleep by now.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  9. Seen more than one, and I hope my last.

10. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Jul 3, 2010
    OH
    I'm from Colombia and was a kid in Bogota during the Pablo Escobar era.

Been blocks away from the sites of 2 major car-bomb attacks and saw the results through the eyes of an 8 year old boy... basically I've seen people die in front of my eyes in so many different situations it makes me feel like Ive been in a war... seen some bad car accidents and helped transport the dying victims in one of them, seen people get shot inside a bus just a few rows in front of me, seen a shootout at a gas station that left 4 people dead, seen military men laying on the side of the road after being executed by guerrilla men... witnessed 2 people commit suicide on separate occasions, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Just lots of violence and death all around me when I was a kid. Just not directed at me or my family thank goodness.

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Yeah. Aftermath of car accident, guy had his skull split from top to bottom, in the back, and some brain sticking out. I talked with him He was slurring and having difficulty stringing thoughts together. I talked lwith him as he died. Cops came after he was dead. His buddy died in the accident.

12. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Sunny Fla
    More than a few:

1. Heart attack fell through a plate glass window. Cut up pretty good but no blood. DRT

2. 18 wheeler drove off the road through some trees, caught fire. I and a few other people were following. His passenger was out when we got to her, but the cab was fully involved. Driver was DRT

3. Traffic accident a few cars ahead of me. Driver went left of center and head on into another car. Left of center guy was hanging out of the car DRT.

I drive everywhere and don't fly because it is too dangerous.:embarassed:

WP

13. Willfulone

Willfulone CCA Corvette

Dec 14, 2012
    VA
    Yeah, was with my Mother in Law when she passed

Glad We were there with her.

Will

14. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    YES, in front of me as well as in my arms.

15. johnd

johnd

May 17, 2000
    More than a few, most deserved it. The DUIs really deserved it. Yes its amazing how frail the human body is when in motion and it hits something immobile.
    Wish I had witnessed my MIL, I would have been right there and able to drive a wooden stake through her heart to make sure she can never come back. Now Ill have to dig her up to do that

16. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
  17. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Sunny Fla

Whoa, where did that come from dude?? :rofl:

WP

18. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    Yes.
    But really no stories I'd care to share about them.

They are all pretty personal or pretty mundane.
    I think once you reach a certain age, it usually has gone with the territory......

19. Knighj1

Knighj1

Jan 11, 2007
    AL
    Random, but too damn funny, love it, I have a crazy one as well

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    1 Car accident (probably was dead in the car, but the paramedics tried to get her to the hospital.. young teenager)
    1 Heart attack.. attempted CPR, no joy.
    1 Hanging.. had to be cut down and CPR attempted. no joy.

I've found a few who just didn't wake up.