close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever lose a fishing pole?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I was out catfishing last night and I pulled in two using chicken livers in a cove that I like off a big lake.

As I'm pulling the second one off the hook and onto the stringer my second rod all the sudden shoots out over the water and before my jaw could drop, I watched it submarine into the water.

Hoping I could catch it on a root or something I stripped down(I was fishing alone) and dove into the water with my Petzl headlamp(It worked underwater) and frantically searched for it in the dark to no avail.

Then I tried dredging it and using a treble and a bullet weight I had it up in a matter of 5 minutes. I couldn't believe it but I got my rod back.

But damn I wish I could have landed that fish that took my rod. I figure it must have been a striper as it hit unlike any catfish I've caught before.

Anyone ever lose a rod before? Ever get it back?

I've been fishing since I could hold a rod and I never lost a pole before.

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

I and my parents and fishing buddies have had countless rods pulled off boats and docks. Some we recover but most not.

/

3. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

no on boats they are locked down , on banks they are tied on. the beach in my hand tied . i got some rods that cost 200 bucks apiece , im not losing them lol not counting 200 to 300 penn reels

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

A nephew, when he was 4, cast and let go of the rod at the same time. Perfect throw into the water. It was a kid's pole, so I was only out about 8 bucks.

5. BEER

BEER bad example

i've never paid more than 30$ for any rod/reel combo because i know there's about a 99.99999% chance i'm going to break it, lose it, or forget it. if any of you have ever fished anywhere in texas and you've found a zebco 404 or 808 combo, you're welcome.

you can usually tell it was one of mine because there won't be a hook on it, just a weight. i usually just go to annoy the fish, the only real fishing i do is in the cooler for another beer.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Yes! Quite a few times. I've even gotten a couple back by dragging. Watched someone dive in at an oil rig in about 15' of water and try to get one.

This one time, I was snagged on a rig somethin' or other under the water. Couldn't get it loose and decided to pop the line (monofilament). So I reel it down as tight as the drag will let, then I start walking to the far end of the boat. The mono is stretching taught. Not far enough so I pick up and put a good bend in the rod. Not enough, so, convinced I'm getting real close to popping it I stretch out up above my head with the rod and it slips out of my hand and goes slingshotting towards the rig! Gold Calcutta 250 and a nice falcon rod.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  7. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

probably a half dozen, it happens.

8. 4516

4516 On the Beach

When I was a kid I went fishing with a buddy of mine off a pier jutting into Lake Michigan. Normally we used long cane poles with a bobber and 4-5 baited hooks. We were after Lake Perch and maybe smelt..

He took without permission his grandmothers prize rod and reel. His grandmother had told him to never mess with it.

He decided to show me how well he could cast. He set up and made a great cast but let go of the pole. It fell in about 75 feet of water. It went all the way to the bottom, but there was enough line so the bobber was on top of the water. I took my long cane pole and was able to wrap my line around his bobber. Several wraps later we were able bring the bobber to us and we pulled the rod and reel out of the water. The rod and reel was ok but all the line on the reel was in a big pile on the pier. We couldn't un snaggle it and he had to take the rod/reel home with this big snag on the end .

He had to confess his misdeed. She had a real problem with his story that the snag came when he was casting. Anyway it soon blew over and he never touched that rod and reel again.

9. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

My dad did the same thing, but he was in his fifties.

I never lost a pole, but once had a snagged lure ricochet off a tree and stick in the back of my head. Some guy comes along and examines the lure. He says, "I might be able to yank it out. Let me put down this beer."

10. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

Yep.

Nope.

Same way you lost your's, but mine must have flown 50 feet before it even hit the water. Wish I'd at least seen the fish that took it.

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Yep. Once in a lifetime experience. Catching 5 lb Northern Pike. They were schooling like Sunfish. Never saw anything like it.

Just like you, putting a fish in the livewell and rod popped off the boat. Grabbed another (4 of us at the time) and snagged it, but I got the fish too. Never would have guessed it would work.

12. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

[​IMG]

13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I almost lost a rod.

I was in my canoe. I troll with this canoe setup using two poles. I use rod holders. Well, I was stopped. I tossed out a lure on rod1. Then sit it down in the boat. I am fiddling with the rod2 when rod1 flew out of the canoe. I was dumb founded.

After a minute or two rod1's handle pops to the surface a little way from the canoe. I slowly canoe over grab the rod handle and real in a decent sized channel cat.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Ok, true story. Friend of mine is offshore fishing and gets a freakin circle hook caught in his nose. I'm talking goes up one nostril, through the septum and out the other nostril. He looked like something out of National Geographic.

So after various conspiracies on board to hold him down and rip the thing out he convinces the crew to return to dock and let him off.

He gets in his truck and starts hauling ass to town, gets pulled over for speeding. Officer walks up to his window, he's got this huge hook in his nose, dried blood all over his face. Officer says, "Boy, I ain't never seen nuthin like that in all my life. Get back on the road and get to a hospital."

:rofl:

15. Peter_72

Peter_72

I watched the same thing happen to my buddy! The grass shrimp were running in the river and we were fishing from the bank. The catfish were going back and fourth over a big sand bar chasing grass shrimp, when they grabbed your bait they just kept on going! He had just landed a big one and his other rod took off and was never seen again! It was a new rod and reel he had just bought.....He started drinking double after that LOL

16. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

This rod I didn't care about too much. I helped a friend move and he was going to throw it out. It's a cheapie shakespeare Cirrus with a similarly cheap reel on it.

When he gave me the rod the reel was almost seized. I broke down, cleaned, and greased the reel and got it going again but it's rough.

I was more heartbroken over losing the fish, and I don't like to litter so I felt kinda bad leaving the rod in the lake.

Seeing as I got it back it's my new lucky rod.:supergrin:

So I bought a 20$ quantum reel for it so it's at least serviceable and it's gonna live in my subaru trunk from now on as a go to beater rod.

I have several much more expensive setups. If my St. Croixor other more expensive rods went into the drink I would have been more upset.

17. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

So do I understand you were fishing with two poles at same time? Last I heard in MN that was not allowed. (other then ice fishing I think you could have 4 rattle reels or tip ups)

18. 9jeeps

9jeeps

In the early sixties I made my first cast into Knox Lake in Ohio. The string jammed and pulled a new pole and reel out of my hand and it disappeared. I had a small tackle box with a few hooks and other stuff in it. None of the gear was very expensive.

When the pole disappeared I grabbed the tackle box and said, "You may as well have this too!" and launched it. Got in my car and went home. I can count on one hand how many times I've fished since. Figure I can do better at the fish mart.:upeyes:

19. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I said their were four people in the boat. (Each had one rod)

Look closer.

20. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

That's a sad tale.

My dad took me fishing when I was a kid but he was too busy from when I was about 12-16.

Then I got my drivers license and started driving on my own to go fish with an ugly stick and a penn spinning reel.

Within a year I broke my ugly stick on a fly rod and had not caught more than 2-3 fish.

I was persistent though. To date I own about 8-10 freshwater rods and fish regularly. My girlfriends dad loves me because I go out fishing with him at their place on lake Wallenpaupack.

There's nothing like fishing a stream for trout in sandals on a hot day, or spending a summer evening fishing for catfish.

Not to mention the more exciting times I've spent deep sea fishing for bluefish and striped bass!