close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ever get to deal with spectacular weather?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Kadetklapp, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    For some reason, it has become sort of the responsibility of law enforcement in the midwest to deal with nasty weather from time to time as the need arises. We often get paged (like yesterday) to go out and not really watch, the weather, but more or less deal with it's aftermath.

That being said, anyone here got an good stories or cool pictures to share? Bad weather season is just getting started in my part of the world. We narrowly avoided a tornado-warned storm last evening.

2. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Dude I work in what is described as a Mediterranean climate. The weather is usually somewhere between 40 and 80 all year round. It rains from time to time between Nov to May. Meterolgically speaking we are dull and boring.

I have to go to Hawaii to find better weather.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

3. It snowed mud last night... now my truck is really dirty.

4. PTRJason

PTRJason

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Nevada

Where at in Indiana? I lived in Porter County (NWI), and was a firefighter there as well as in Lake County, yeah we would get toned out for Tornado watch and alerts.

5. PTRJason

PTRJason

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Nevada

One thing I love about Cali, different areas of the state, even if 50 miles apart the weather changes drastically. I live in Riverside County, desert area, but right now it can be 70 day, and 30 night. I can drive 50 miles to the beach and it will be 60 day and 50 night. Or 50 miles the other way to the mountains and it will be 40 day and 20 nights. And that will all be in the same exact day.

Where I live it is gets between 25 lows in winter to 115 in summer.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Would something like say Hurricane Andrew count? I remember one guy coming back with only three doors - he had opened the driver's door to his crusier when it was facing the wrong way. I was hunkered down during the worst of the actual storm. I also remember working twelve hour days from the storm until about Thanksgiving. Eventually in October we started getting a day off every week. That felt awfully good.

7. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    Oh absolutely. You guys on the gulf have it bad since you get DAYS of the stuff, and we usually get six hours or so of bad weather :whistling:

8. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I've been through a few blizzards here in CO. I also worked police/security/babysitter during Katrina.

9. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    I was supposed to work this last Sunday but was hunkered down at my in-laws just outside of cell phone range.

I asked my FTO when I first came to Missouri what we do when we are working during his tornado. His response, "I don't know." Its number 32 why I want to get out of here.

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Watched a tornado pass within less than a mile of where I was and within a couple hundred yards of where I had been a minute or so before in 2006. Our town was spared, but the city that surrounds us was not. Spent the night helping them cover the looting calls. It brought EVERYONE out to "look." Took quite a while to get things back to normal.

Summer of 2008 our county had major flooding. Once again, our town was spared, which meant that we got the majority of the traffic in to the area.

We've also seen significant ice storms that have resulted in major power outages and road closures, but thoe two times that that has happened things have been back to normal pretty quickly.

We're looking at possible flooding again this summer.

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Yep. Four years ago, it snowed a couple inches here (even on the beach) and there was mayhem. Crashes everywhere. The smart patrol officers, those who didn't have to respond to calls that required immediate presence, pulled over and parked with everyone else. No snow tires, no chains, no traction. I had to park my truck at the top of our street and walk a the last three hundred yards. Downhill all the way, just snow and slush, street tires on the truck and two wheel drive only, would've just wrecked our brand-new garage door.

Even thunderstorms are rare here - we get one or two a year at the most. Anything more than that takes some unusual weather patterns for this area.

September and October have some of the best weather of the year. Usually hot days, crystal clear, very little of the fog/overcast that creeps in during the night and stays until noon, and no tourists.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I work pretty far inland and live closer to the beach areas so the temperature between where I work and where I live can differ by 10-15F. Also, there is one hill that separates the different counties and one side can be sunny while the other side is rainy and vice versa.

I've worked a storm that cut all power to the city and we had to man every major intersection to make sure we don't have accidents everywhere. It was cold and the streets were full of stuff blown everywhere.

Had to work the Grand Prix fires. Ash was falling nonstop and we had to wear those masks. All the units were covered in ash and the vents were shut off because all it did was blow ash all over the interior. At night, the surrounding mountains were lit up in orange rings around us. Ambers falling around lit a few residences too and had to assist the FD with those calls.

13. GasTiresOil

GasTiresOil

Dec 14, 2006
    IDK if any of you have seen in the news the flooding in the northeast recently. I got called in during the storm and got set up on a traffic post in the driving rain. I watched as the little stream turned into a raging river and washed a road out right in front of me.

It was a total mess all over. several bridges were completely washed away, roads were under several feet of water. Its worse in some other parts too. Its mostly back to normal where I am, several towns over still have bridge closures, rte 1 is closed. 95 was closed until a few days ago.

14. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    The NWS came in and taught a weather spotter class for all our dispatchers and officers and the FD where I used to work in the Chicago burbs. We had a weather radio in dispatch and when it went off we had a few weather bug officers who would drive out to the top of the parking garage at the mall to see where the storm was. I set off the tornado sirens at least a few times while working there.

15. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

Jul 2, 2000
    Texas
    Worked the '97 Jarrell tornado in the recovery of bodies (body parts).Have some pics somewhere in the attic of a house along with its foundation plus about 7" of earth ripped outta the ground.Home was almost intact and a couple hundred yards down the road.

16. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Jun 12, 2006
    OK, USA
    I live in Oklahoma, and have had to babysit areas that were wiped off the map from Tornados. Oddly enough, the biggest problem we had was people trying to get into the area to take pictures. Some traveled across the country to get pics - but we told them to go away. They were furious. I got over their anger almost immediately.

Always heavy storms - always a tornado warning - but really most tornados don't hit populated areas and do a lot of damage. Now I jinxed myself.

17. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    I worked one night when we got hit by a foul supercell. This was a couple years ago when I worked part time for that small town/lake/resort nearby. We rolled around in a huge 2000 Expedition with an even huger lightbar on top. I was running signal 10 (code) to the lake and campground to get people under cover. The power was out and the tornado siren was not working (they wouldn't have heard it anyway). I remember crossing the causeway over the lake to the campground and seeing three foot waves crashing across the pavement. I was pretty sure I was going to get rolled into the water. I was doing about 35 mph with the siren on and couldn't even hear it over the rain and wind pounding my truck.

18. JTipper.45

JTipper.45

Nov 14, 2004
    Louisiana
    I still think that Louisiana is the weather mecca of the US. I've worked through hurricanes Rita, Gustav, Ike and a few minor ones I can't even remember their names.If working through them isn't bad enough you have to keep track of evacuees coming through from ALL over, then having to work the shelters is real fun. Then we are at the southern most tip of Tornado Alley so we get lots of small F1's. These are just enough to cover the roads in debris and trees to make getting anywhere just about impossible. Then you have the situation where souther air from the Gulf comes up and hits the dry air from the plains and we get super storms with what seems like a foot of rainfall at a time. Last summer we hit a record 117 degrees with 100% humidity (that is just miserable). Top that this winter with 4 snowfalls (unheard of in this area). So I have become a weather fanatic with no less than 10 weather tracking websites on my laptop. I'll look for a few pics tonight.

19. We have some LEOs who feel that during inclement weather, it's OK for those who live furthest away to take off because those who live closer by can go into work.

Other than that gripe, I think it is one of LE's (along with fire dept, National Guards & FEMA) jobs to be available to assist afterwards. Learned early on that when the forecast is for serious "Oh ****" weather, accept the fact that no, you can't be home with the wife and kids.

All that more important for them to be able survive on their own. In every way imaginable.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  20. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

I worked midnites this past winter during three 24" snowfalls.

We get some nasty thunderstorms once or twice a week in the summer. Once or twice a summer, we get a real doozy with trees down/power (and traffic signal) outages.

Summer 08 I posted this:

[​IMG]
    With 40000% humidity.

It hit 90* yesterday. The normal high is in the mid 60's.

`Yeah..NJ is a paradise.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010