close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ever flashed your BIOS?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NRA_guy, Oct 23, 2010.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    Have you ever flashed your BIOS?

If so, how'd it turn out?

2. I did my Asus EEE netbook once. Not too hard. Copied image to thumbdrive. Reboot and the system detected the new image and did what it had to do all on its own.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    once.. it went fine

Are you having a problem that flashing the BIOS is supposed to fix? If not, don't do it. It's a great way to turn your PC into a cool piece of plastic.

Now.. if it's supposed to actually fix a problem, then it is a risk worth taking IMO... "Doing it, Just to do it"... is reckless.

IGF

4. IGF speaks the truth.

5. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

:agree: with IGF ...

BIOS updates (flashing) is risky and should only be done if you're fixing a specific problem addressed by the update. You need to be aware that if the BIOS update fails for ANY reason, power surge, spike etc… you may not be able to reboot your computer again.

6. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Most motherboards now days support flashing the BIOS from within Windows AND have a redundant BIOS to protect against a failed upgrade.

7. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    I'm running an old PC that I have upgraded everything on. I am still running Windows 2000 (it began life with Win 98 Second Edition).

I have maxed out RAM, added video boards and USB 2 boards, but the BIOS is 1999 version.

I installed a new hard drive like 120 Gb (IDE in NTFS format)---but it only sees 40 Gb.

I am now approaching a full hard drive.

Somewhere I read that the old BIOS may be limiting me to seeing a maximum of 40 Gb.

I know: buy a new PC, but I just HATE to do that. It is not the money, it's the pain and suffering.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  8. GammaDriver

GammaDriver

Jun 3, 2002
    Florida
    On about three different computers - hated it each time and, at least back in the day, though they made it harder to do (with all of the risk involved) than it should have been.

Now you got me wondering about this machine... thanks...

9. Sgt. Schultz

Then you should check any available BIOS update and see what problems it addresses ...

10. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    The web site that I let run a check on my PC said there is a new BIOS upgrade and I can buy, it but they don't give any details about what the new BIOS fixes.

11. Sgt. Schultz

Go to the manufactures website and look for the update ... you shouldn't have to buy it.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'm not a Win2k user... did it use Fat32? Isn't Fat32 limited to 40gigs?

Edit: Also agree w/ Sgt... no way you should have to buy the upgrade.

13. Sgt. Schultz

Check out ... http://www.driverguide.com/

... you can join and get a free (limited) membership, I go there whenever I need an old hard to find driver and they usually have it.

14. rjgraves

rjgraves

Apr 12, 2009
    Both are very good advice. +1

15. Sgt. Schultz

Never mind, I miss read a post.

16. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Download SIW (System Information for Windows) As long as you have a name brand motherboard it will tell you the model number.

17. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    no, fat32 is limited to 2tb in volume size, but, more importantly (until 3tb disks become more popular) fat32 is limited in file size to just under 4gb (eg, no dvd rips).

older bios' (those before atx mobo's and even some atx style in the beginning) would not support the disk geometry of drives larger than ~38gb. the bios update adds the newer geometry specs and allows use of larger disks.

now, it sounds like the disk is already installed and being used, not at it's real capacity. after the bios update, i'd suggest using a program like partitionmagic (i'm sure there's free alternatives) to change the partition size to encompass the entire disk without having to reformat or lose any data.

and like Sgt. Schultz and IGF said, the bios should be free from the manufacturer.

it's critically important to find the right update for the motherboard. op, you may have to open the computer physically and find the manufacturer of the board and the specific model number.

and, like others have said, updating bios just because it sounds like a fun thing to do on a sunday is not a very smart thing to do. although i've never had a problem doing it, personally, it is very possible that the update could fail and brick the motherboard.

18. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    Thanks folks. I'll do as you suggest.

Yes, the hard drive is already in use---and near the 40 Gb size the system sees, but nowhere near the 120 Gb actual size.

Yes, the original small hard drive was formatted in FAT32 but the new one is NTFS.

I have the info on the BIOS and motherboard and CPU:

----------------------

BIOS = Award Modular BIOS V 6.00 PG

BIOS ID = 10/19/1999 - i810-47B27X-6A69MB09C-00

Motherboard Mfg. = Evalue Technology, Inc.

BIOS date = 1999.10.19

------------------------

Chipset = Intel Whitney 82810 rev 3

SuperIO chipset (whatever that is) = SMC LPC4 7M10x rev1 at port 002E

--------------------------

Base Board (whatever that is) = BIOSTAR Group

Product = M6TWG

Version = 1.X

----------------------------

Thanks again very much for the help.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Just to follow up on what kc said...

A free Partition Editor... All you need is a blank CD to burn the ISO. Boot the image, and the program itself is very easy to use. You have to boot the CD, since a disk "in use" cannot be resized...

it's Linux based, but don't let that scare you, it has a very easy to use GUI..

http://partedmagic.com/

Edit: I can't find any reference to that motherboard on BioStar's website.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  20. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

Apr 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'd perform the flash when powered on a good UPS, just to be careful!

Any power issue can be bad juju when doing something as benign as a hard drive clone but especially critical during a BIOS flash.