close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever feel overwhelmed by prepping?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by nightwolf1974, Mar 14, 2012.

1. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974
    Expand Collapse

I've been a survival oriented person since I was in grade school( I'm 37 now). I used to cache cans of ravioli, matches, knives, homemade spears, BB guns, and tire irons in my tree house. (Yes, I was very afftected by NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.)

Learned how to shoot young and how to shoot long distance before I could drive. Played survival games with my friends in school. Spend lots of time in the woods. Learned how to use a bow very effectivly. Did the whole Y2K thing, but was a prepper before that.

Anyway, I've started dusting off plans and restocking certain "items" a couple of years ago.

Sometimes I get a little discouraged and a bit overwhelmed trying to think of contiginsies(sp?). It's bad enough I have to do this and not be able talk to people in everyday coversation. Does anyone eles ever get overwhelmed at times prepping?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. thesurefire

thesurefire
    Expand Collapse

No, because its a lifestyle, not a goal.

I suspect your trouble is thinking of where you want to be, vs where you are, and feeling overwhelmed by how far apart they are.

I put forth effort to be prepared, but if youre losing sleep or getting stress from it, its time to take a step back and look at whats really important in your life. Preps should ease stress and tension, as well as feelings of helplessness. If they dont, you may have other things bothering you, be working too hard at it, or be depressed due to a chemical imbalance.

3. SilverCity

SilverCity
    Expand Collapse

Well put.

SC

4. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Naw. But I am not out'n'out crazy like some of you.

I just stock for ~5 weeks disaster.

If I need to get a small underground bunker to hide in for years I will just go to Costco.com and buy this one.

[​IMG]

5. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono
    Expand Collapse

Just when I look at my credit card bill ;)

In all seriousness though life is about balance. It's great to be prepared, but not if you aren't enjoying life. As bad as things are we are so inherently blessed in this country. Maybe you should spend a bit more time prepping to enjoy life.

Think of prepping as a game you can never win. It's virtually impossible to be prepared for every situation. Just do the best you can. The rest is in our maker's hands.

#5 Lone Kimono, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

And for the Zombie invasion I got that covered too.

I've got a few dozen treadmills I will strategically place around my home, a wheelbarrow loaded full of sodas with other personal demand items, and a debarked cat for early detection.

;)

7. 9jeeps

9jeeps
    Expand Collapse

Seems like most of the preppers I've met are so obsessive about their lifestyle they make huge mistakes in their obsession.

Recalling most hideouts can be breeched by cutting off air supply or other utilities. Most are easily spotted or found.

Why not build an underground home and fortify it?:dunno:

8. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Cost? :dunno:

9. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

NO! I Don't. I don't let it run my life. Yes it is important to be prepared, but it is more like a hobbie. I just can't live in a state of fear. Life still goes on enjoy it while its good.

10. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

Nahh, I gotten to the point where I barely think about it.

Guns & Ammo
    Food
    Water
    Camping/survival Gear

And with that I'm done. That will cover everything from Earthquake to Zombies. Its like making improvements on an old home you just bought. You fix some things, get the new carpets, Re shingle the leaky roof, redo the kitchen, new windows, and then you look around and realize you are done.

Then its just a matter of upkeep. Switch out the water every year, the food depending on expiration, and maintenance and occasional upgrades on the guns and gear. Its that simple. Don't drive yourself nuts, just get those 4 things squared away and you will be fine.

#10 Bilbo Bagins, Mar 15, 2012
  11. LSUAdman

LSUAdman
    Expand Collapse
    Pew Pew

Yes, but only occasionally.

The way my wife and I look at it is the same was you would contributing to an IRA or 401k account. A little, over time, will protect you and surprise you when you need it.

Where I think some people get hung up is that they prepare for what they think will happen tomorrow, and when tomorrow doesnt happen or when they don't see that fully stocked storm shelter they get upset and overwhelmed.

Make small goals for yourself. Say something like, by the end of the month I will have one month of food saved up, or I will save an extra $200 and put that in the safe. Maybe you buy a 5 gallon gas can and fill at up each time you go to get gas.

Prepping should be both manageable and forgetable. If it's the only thing going on in your life, then you will probably feel overburdened.

12. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974
    Expand Collapse

I don't want you guys to get me wrong, I just get a little flustered at times. Sometimes i feel like I'm baning my head against the wall. And I kept up with it after it cost me one relationship( she said I was crazy trying to preppare for the Y2K thing that never happened).

And the surefire is partially right.....sometimes I get bummed when where I am is not where I want to be.

I do get the occasional blues about this lifestyle but then I step back and remember why I started to do this....my family and my pets.

13. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974
    Expand Collapse

thanx bro!:wavey:

14. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

~ "Ever feel overwhelmed by prepping?" ~

I look at it as an Insurance Policy.....and hope I dont have to ever cash in...but feel good I have the insurance.....never overwhelmed....I enjoy Preparedness.

15. LSUAdman

LSUAdman
    Expand Collapse
    Pew Pew

And that's the beauty of it. If absolutely nothing happens, you have created a great foundation for the next generation.

Wouldnt it have been great if our parents had prepped a little?

16. thesurefire

thesurefire
    Expand Collapse

Of course, We've all been there at one point or the other, where life just seems to get a little out of hand, and its valuable to have like minded people around to give an outside perspective.

It sounds like you're working towards being better prepared, and as long as you're doing that, you're on the right track. :cheers:

17. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

This nation didn't have the problems back then that we got now.It was the most productive time in our history.The depression was history and people were far better off.

Now we have a ton of reasons ta prep,caused by multiple sources and events.The political arena and problems we shoulda handled years ago.'08.

18. sebecman

sebecman
    Expand Collapse

It just makes sense to have a little bit set aside for your family, why rely on walmart day by day? Your parents and their parents sure as hell did not.

19. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

Dude - if you are worried about it you are probably NOT EVEN CLOSE TO READY!!!!!!!

You better listen to your gut and step up your game! Clearly you have slacked off and now you are feeling the pressure - like you should!

Listen to your gut - you are clearly not ready!!!!!!!!!! In fact, you better stop posting and run out and get some mountain house right now!!!!!

#19 Aceman, Mar 15, 2012
  20. JK-linux

JK-linux
    Expand Collapse

No. I set a goal for 3 months of never having to leave the house be it bitter winter or scorching summer with no outside services. I have it. I do worry about a national "near, but not quite" financial disaster where there's no rioting, no outlaw behavior, no one to get mad at, no frustration that goes anywhere beyond people holding signs of anger at a protest, just ongoing grey misery and no widespread outrage. Sometimes I think it would be tougher to make it through that with any dignity than chaos where you can shoot almost anything that moves.