Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Evaluating Glock's Maritime Spring Cups (Video)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Raleigh Glocker, Aug 17, 2012.

1. I finally got finished my research and video evaluating Glock's maritime spring cups. Among my research for this, I interviewed three different people at Glock, the top aftermarket producer of maritime spring cups, and a well-known, highly regarded gunsmith who modifies standard spring cups for use in his competition Glock triggers.

I cover the most common reasons that shooters install maritime spring cups, and just for fun, I even tested two different rounds on Sim-Test when shot from one to seven feet underwater. I was pretty surprised by the results.

Let me know what you think.

cowboy1964 likes this.
  2. DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    The maritime spring cups work as stated, however do not fire underwater without hearing protection and realize range drops to inches.:supergrin:

A glock dropped in the water and retrieved in haste will fire. I know that from personal experience.

Glocks have been used for anti shark duty and are likely the only non military live target shot. Concussion is similar to a small stun grenade and provides a good tool. Ballistics not so much.

Where they do shine is if you pack in proximity to water and might be involved in getting wet. op made the right choice.

cool video.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

3. Thanks!

Yeah, even with foamies and ears, it was still a pretty good "thud" in the head. :)

As far as range, I was still getting several inches of penetration in extremely firm test media with the 147gr subsonics from seven feet away (the farthest I tested). I think that would be enough to make it into the vitals of most things underwater.

If I were able to plan for the need of underwater protection, I'd rather have a bang stick to be farther away from both the target and the blast, but at least a Glock gives you 17+ shots before reloading. :)
  4. dave109

Apr 28, 2012
    Subscribed to your channel.

My wife wanted to know why I was watching matthew mcconaughey shooting a glock :(
  5. JBS

Apr 4, 2012
    Outstanding video and production. I just have to ask, did you get brass to goggles at any time under water? :supergrin:
  6. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    Excellent video. But I don't understand why you would take them out, if they truly cause no issue and make the gun more reliable in wet conditions?

And where can you get them?
  7. SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    I found that empty mags don't drop free as they want to float to the surface. And the bright yellow I Dot Pro front sight attracts shrimp and other small marine life...:rofl:
  8. I actually had another minute of video that I had to cut because I don't have YouTube big dog status. So, I'm limited to 15 minute videos max for now. I actually made a joke about the lack of BTF underwater in the part I cut.

I am actually going to flesh out the part I cut into about a 2 minute video and post it next week because that's where I describe the story about why Glock developed these parts in the first place.

Great point, and I should've been more clear on this. I think I will use the follow-up video to clarify, but in short, I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.

Every single expert I interviewed said that there really hasn't been any reports of Glocks failing to fire with standard spring cups that wasn't explained by something else (poor maintenance, etc.). The scenario at the start of the video is based upon problems experienced with pistols that Glock was competing with in the late 80's and NOT with Glocks themselves.

They do seem to aid in repeated underwater firing, but even there, most Glocks will still work just fine at least once underwater with standard spring cups.

Interestingly, every expert I spoke to had maritime spring cups in their personal weapons, yet every one of them said that they couldn't really justify it other than they have access to them. Two of them straight out said that choosing standard versus maritime spring cups comes down to perception and not reality.

So, if your perception is that they MIGHT help that one time, and that's why you have them, there isn't a reason to take them out. My perception is that the standard cups are in probably ten times the Glocks, and I'm going to go with the numbers.

Again, I would NEVER criticize someone for using maritime spring cups for whatever reason they decide. I just wanted to see what the facts were and share them while having an excuse to shoot my G17 underwater. :supergrin:
  9. fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Good video. Found the end interesting when you said they have not proven to be less reliable in a EDC used gun. I always heard they were. I have a set in my parts box.
  10. Ron_Miami

Jul 9, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Great work! Subscribed.
  11. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    R/G- Nice job, smooth production.

Looks like the greater momentum of the 147 gr subsonic FMJ (147 @ 1000 fps = 2.9 N∙s) helped it penetrate farther than the 115 gr FMJ (115 @ 1155 fps = 2.6 N∙s) at every test distance.

From your tests, it looks like the 147 gr subsonic FMJs are the ones to go with for underwater work.

Thanks. Very informative.
  12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

Jan 14, 2002
    very neat video, I really liked it. Tagged for later video as well.
  13. tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Good video. I just subscribed.
  14. mongo356

Aug 18, 2004
  15. Thanks!

The heavier subsonics were the clear penetration winner underwater. Plus, the recoil was much less and they were more accurate.

The 115gr was a little squirrelly, even though I was able to keep every shot in the gel.
  16. kindaclever1

Dec 15, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Excellent video please keep them coming! I can tell a lot of time and effort went into producing that piece. Only thing different I would have like to seen is a comparison of you shooting the glock with and without the maritime spring cups installed as well as the performance comparison you did. I know your time was limited, so maybe a add on video?:whistling:
  17. That was part of my original idea. However, after talking with Glock, I realized that would not really demonstrate the difference accurately. It turns out many Glocks will function underwater with the standard spring cups. Many will not.

Based upon the real world experience shared by Glock, I would always use maritime cups if for some reason I was diving with my G17.
  18. Bananas

Feb 23, 2012
    Great video, subscribed.
  19. Chronos

Nov 26, 2007
    I am a couple months late to the thread, but that was really a nice production.

At one point I did buy and install maritime spring cups, not for any practical reason, but because I couldn't get scenes from this stupid movie out of my head for a week:

Incidentally, there are a surprising number of "underwater tests" on youtube, and you do see quite a few failures to fire.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  20. That's hilarious!:supergrin:

I think the underwater performance is unit specific- many will fire just fine underwater without maritime spring cups, but some will not. I shot about 75 times with the maritime spring cups without any kind of failure. It even locked the slide back every time.