Ethernet Cable Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gun Shark, May 17, 2013.

1. I need a 50 foot ethernet cable to connect my Cisco Small Business Router RV220W to my 3G MicroCell. It's currently connected to the router with 20ft CAT 6 cable that I had lying around the house, but it is a trip hazard and isn't long enough for a permanent solution.

I did some research and Best Buy has a Rocket Fish one for $42.99 yet amazon has one for $30 cheaper. Does it matter what brand I go with? Is there a better brand than others?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Gun Shark, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Ethernet Cable Question Tech Talk Nov 18, 2008
    Anyone ever twisted your own ethernet cable? Tech Talk Nov 10, 2005
    24 or 48 port GB ethernet switch Tech Talk Aug 18, 2014
    Daughter related college ethernet/Mac question.... The Okie Corral Jun 7, 2014
    Ethernet hub Tech Talk Feb 4, 2013

3. cheap one will work, check monoprice.com as well

4. Yep and yep.

Sent from my orifice.

5. Grab one from mono price. Everything there is high quality and in spec for a great price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

6. gemeinschaft

gemeinschaft AKA Fluffy316

Another +1 for Monoprice

7. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

8. Yes, you need Cat 6e Cable. It's the fastest you can get (today)

9. You can make your own for cheaper. Just make sure is Cat6. Color scheme for type B will be (w/o, o, w/g, b, w/b, g, w/br, br).

10. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Hmmm. A little off topic, but not much. This gives me an idea for doing the mini-ISO install on my upstairs desktop. It would be worth spending $12.00 on a cable and run it out one window an in the other, or even up the stairs, than it would be to lug the thing downstairs to plug it in to the router. It currently uses a USB wifi thing, but I need an ethernet cable to do the install.

For what I want, a couple of hours tops to install an OS and then put it away for a few years, what is the cheapest type of cable I should consider? I don't know a CAT 1 from a CAT1,000 and I don't need a long term, high quality, high speed connection.

11. Windows networking will work fine, you should get a plenum cable, but you can probably live with out it. We did this in a townhouse in college we were renting and it worked fine.

House modem in basement and ran cables along the back of the house....

12. Not really.

I stock patch cables on my truck and I have every thing needed to make Cat-5e or Cat-6 cables. Figure the modular plugs cost 50 cents each, stranded cable at about 35 cents a foot and the time to measure, cut, terminate and test the cable and it runs about double the cost of a pre-made.

http://www.altex.com/Cat-5e-Network-Cables-Assorted-Colors-50-Length-73-6680-50-P147249.aspx

But back to the OP, a Cat-5e cable will run gigabit with no problems. You really only need Cat-6 for multi-gig applications or POE over longer distance.

13. I agree that making your own really isn't any cheaper unless we are talking about serious amounts of wires. For small home use rolling your own is more about perfection and custom lengths then saving money.

14. UtahIrishman

Silver Member

Making your own also assumes you have twenty-five year old eyes. I gave up making cables ten years ago. I cannot count the number of times I got wires backwards. It simply isn't worth the time or effort.

Might look around local too. There's a local place here where I can get a 50 ft cat5 cable for about fifteen dollars and no shipping.

15. As bigfug said, at monoprice.com they are $7.33.

16. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I didn't realize they were so cheap until this thread. After seeing what HDMI cables go for, I just figured the ethernet cables would cost more. I got a 50' Cat5e cheap locally and I'm going to send it out the window to the den downstairs where the router is. W2W (window to window) networking. My wife said it was "ghetto" and I agreed. It's only for a couple of hours and it's black, so I'll just wait for it to get dark...

17. Home depot has the RJ45 modulars for $.40 and they sell the cat-6 by the foot for $.25 per foot. So a 50 footer will come up for about $13.00 which after figuring the shipping from Newegg's price of $12.99, it would be cheaper to make it. ( considering you have the tools).

18. Thank's for everyone's help and advice. MCell is up and working perfectly.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire