close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

ETHANOL cars and trucks?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by WEATHERBY460, May 2, 2006.

1. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

Feb 18, 2005
    ILLINOIS
    questions

on ethanol vehicles......

does anyone here own one and can share your thoughts, also..how does fuel miliage compare to a regular vehicle...please share opinions.

looking a flexibile fuel 1/2 ton 4wd truck.

2. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    From what I have heard ethanol is about 30% less effecient than gas. So I would guess the milage would be about 30% less.

3. I don't own one but here's what I've read. A flex fuel vehicle can run on regular unleaded gas or E85 (85% ethanol and 15% gas) or anything in between (10% ethanol for example). The more ethanol in the mixture, the greater the effect on mileage.

30% is the worst case scenario, the best I've read is an 18% reduction and all of those were in the E85 category. I haven't seen anything that says E10 reduces mileage - which likely means that driving habits & maintenance (e.g. tire pressure) are as influental as 10% ethanol in terms of mileage.

4. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

Dec 14, 2001
    MN
    I've known a couple people who had flex fuel Rangers and they said mileage sucked w/ E85. They hardly ever used it.

5. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    I believe that wasn't with a commercial blend, but pure ethenol. So yes 30% probably is a worst case scenario.

6. 00blkgt

00blkgt

Dec 8, 2005
    I had a 1999 Ranger XLT that was flex fuel and it spark knocked like a Bi@#$. I was so disappointed because I had purchased it new and otherwise loved the truck. I don't think I kept it for a year.
    J

7. epsylum - you're probably right. I was pulling from memory - given the state of my memory, it is very different than citing a credible source.

00blkgt, that's very unusual. Ethanol octane is MUCH higher than gas, and octane usually works to reduce knock. I don't doubt you, but it makes me wonder if something was wrong with the sensor / oxygen regulator (that makes an engine flex fuel).

8. 00blkgt

00blkgt

Dec 8, 2005
    The spark knock was experienced while using the owners manual recommended 87 octane. Ethanol was not widely availbale in my area of residence (at the time)I owned the truck.
    J:freak: