Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Esee4/Fallkniven F1/Tops BOB

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by adamg01, Nov 1, 2013.

1. adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    I've made up my mind on getting a quality fixed blade survival style knife. This will be a present for Xmas from the wife, I just don't know which one I want. My Griptilian was my first quality knife and now I want a good fixed blade.

I like the size of the 3 mentioned but I am pretty new to serious knives so I could use some direction. It will probably never be used for survival but I want one that could if the situation called for it. Do you have any experience with these or have any other similar sized knives that I should research? I have to admit I am partial to the 4 but still undecided. I believe the Laser Strike grips would be a little thick for comfort so scratch that one. Budget is around $125. Thanks in advance for your direction and help.
  2. officer196

May 15, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm by no means an expert but I do own a rat-3 and a TOPS cat. Not nearly the same as what your asking but I can tell you both are very well built knives.

3. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    It's hard to go wrong with a Fallkniven F1, The ESSE-4 would be my second choice. Don't know if it matters to you, but the F1 is stainless (VG10) and the other 2 are carbon steel (1095)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    It's hard to go wrong with any Fallkniven.

I have a NL4 FREJ, which is the predecessor of the current NL5L. NL stands for Northern Lights. Very high quality.
  5. cbthedookie

Jun 27, 2013
    I have several esee knives - great knives, just have to keep some light oil on them to prevent rust. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on a falkniven, but haven't so far.

To make your decision harder... If you like your griptilian, check out the Doug Ritter benchmade knives - there is a nice fixed blade option that isn't "overbuilt" but feels great in hand. Also, Guy at surviveknives makes awesome stuff, using über-steels, at very reasonable price point and with flexibility that is not quite custom but better than production knives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. SkaOG

Jan 30, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    All three are solid choices. I have a few Esee knives (not the 4) and they are great. The F1 I hear really good things about too.
  7. itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    I read this post and looked over at my pack and I have my ESEE 4 in it. I have a lot of knives and what you listed are all good choices.

I don't have an F1 so I won't comment on it.

I have a bunch of ESEE knives. I can say that they stand behind their products 100%. And made in the US. The thread I read before this one had to do with buying US products. It still matters to me.

1095 is a great working steel. Takes a beating and sharpens easily.

I'm going to suggest an option that I carry if you want a stainless blade. In my pack are the ESEE and a stainless Mora knife. Check that company out for the best bang for your buck blades. They can be had in the "teen" range. Like $14.
  8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    F1 would be my vote, the rat knives are darn heavy in my opinion. Good knives but rather heavy.
  9. adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    That's funny you mentioned the Mora. I just got my first delivered Monday, the Companion. I already want a Heavy Duty but I can only find them in Carbon.

I really do want an Esee of the three. It has a good rep and I can't lie, the coolness factor is nice as well. It is definitely between the 4 and F1 though, the BOB is out of the pic.
  10. Rutha73

Sep 8, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
  11. bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have the Esee 4 and the Falkniven F1. Get the F1. Designed as the Swedish airforce survival knife. It puts the US airman's "survival knife" to shame. In addition to those two within arm's reach, I also have the ZT 170 within arm's reach.

There are many fine knives on the market. As a previous poster wrote, you could chose any Falkniven and you would not be disappointed.

Now, I need someone to talk me into buying an S1!
  12. adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the assistance. I have an Esee4 on order. The warranty was probably the deal breaker.
  13. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    It's too late, but the other issue I'd worry about is did Fallkniven use the same craptastic grippy rubber/plastic stuff that Cold Steel used that stretches and tears with use?
  15. wingryder

Oct 9, 2012
    28.420, -81.171
    I have an Army KA-Bar, but I plan on buying a Becker BK-2 for camping. They are damn near bullet proof.

I also keep several Mora's handy, outstanding knives for about $15 each. I keep them everywhere... BOB, vehicle, kitchen, gunsafe... They are carbon steel, easy to sharpen, very tough and dirt cheap!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  16. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
  17. adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    I got my Esee 4 today and inspected it before it goes under the tree. I am very impressed with it, a very nice edge out of the box. This is my first quality fixed blade to go along with my Bench Grip. I ordered it from knifecenter, I got a knife sharpener and a pair of scissors as part of a promo.

It was a bit pricy but I wanted a quality "do all" knife for the outdoors. I can't say it is as good as the Fallkniven F1 but I really like it and I already want an Izula II for everyday carry. Thanks for all the help.