close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Error that costed me a reloading session...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock21sf-miami, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Jul 25, 2008
    On the weekend I sat down to load a hundred rounds of .45. In one of the strokes, something jammed the rotation of the shellplate (LNL AP) and I had to move the ram up and down a bit to get it unstuck. I visually checked the powder on the cases and moved on.
    A day went by and I started to doubt the charge was correct on the the case under the powder drop at the moment of the stoppage. I couldn't take this off my mind because I load at the max on the manual. Since I had not identified the case or triple checked the powder charges, I decided to disassemble the hundred rounds I had made and assembled them again.... I lost a reloading session but at least I am at peace knowing that all my rounds are prefect. An error reloading can be a very costly one...

The lesson is: make really, really sure you check everything when something interrupts your loading process....

2. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    Yea pulling a few rounds apart isnt fun, but its better than a gun blowing up on you. I have a light mounted over my powder feed and check every round. Its just out of habit now, but a good habit.

3. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    OP, many thanks for also considering my safety, should we ever end up at the same range.

One quality control item I'd like to reinforce... Check the powder level in every case as you reload. Prior to starting a reloading session, intentionally double charge a case so that you know what such a charge would look like.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    This has happened to me in the past - same press, same situation. The first time, I believe I ended up pulling 10-20 bullets from that session. Since then, if *anything* causes the press to not complete a proper cycle, i pull all 5 shells off the plate, and then manually load each one-by-one until I can "reset" the full sequence.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to things like this. You did the right thing.

thorn

5. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Excellent advice.

That may have cost you the reloading session, but could very well have save you and/or others from injury, and damage to your firearm.

I've adopted the gooseneck lamp method of checking powder levels on the 550, so I can see if I've double-charged or missed a charge.

Glad to hear that you lived to reload another day with everything intact.

6. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    May, might have, maybe, could of... did you find anything worth worrying about? Next time isolate and label the offender.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  7. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Safety first. Then everything else comes into play.

8. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    That's what you call responsible reloading.
    I wish everyone did it.

:thumbsup:

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Your supposed to shoot the rounds out of a Glock and then blame the KB on the gun.

10. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  11. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Or Tightgroup.

12. I feel your pain, I have taken apart just over 100 rds out of 600 or so from "creeping doubt". So far all are good.

13. ruger rcm

ruger rcm

May 27, 2010
    Wahoo. NE.
    This has happened to me in the past - same press, same situation. The first time, I believe I ended up pulling 10-20 bullets from that session. Since then, if *anything* causes the press to not complete a proper cycle, i pull all 5 shells off the plate, and then manually load each one-by-one until I can "reset" the full sequence.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to things like this. You did the right thing.

This is exactly what I do also.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  14. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Agreed.

In 9mm, I pretty much can't mess up the powder charge in an unsafe way given fill volume with Unique and a 124gr. I look into every case.

In .45acp 230gr LRN, not as foolproof with Bullseye, but still difficult as I can run up to 5.2gr, but run only 3.8gr or so. The fill difference is noticeable looking into the case.

Having no powder is a concern IMO. Get a squib and ram that sucker with the next round is not good.

If you are running loads near the limit the more caution needed IMO. You have so little room for error and variance at the top end. And, same goes for 9mm and other small volume loads.

15. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    That's my favorite propellant! I use it in .45 ACP, 9mmP, .44 MAgnum & .357 Mganum.

16. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I was being sarcastic. If A gun blows up, people like to blame either it was a Glock or they were using Tight Group. Or heaven forbid both.

17. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I didn't know that TiteGroup had a bad rep . . . . tell me more, please.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  18. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    A lot of guys use it with great success. It's such a fast burning powder, that it's not at all forgiving, particularly for noobs. Also, not very bulky which makes it tougher to spot a double charge. If you know its limitations, it shouldn't be a big deal. Too many leadwallets out there that try to make it something it isn't (a powder good for full power loads).

19. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Then it is kind of like Bullseye.