close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Erratic Ejection Problems

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Spartan24, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Spartan24

Spartan24

So after purchasing a G34 Gen4 and experiencing the erratic ejection problems first hand, I have done some research and reading into the issue.

My G34 Gen4 has a born on date of: 8/16/2011. It has the 042 RSA and the 336 ejector. I purchased this gun through the GSSF program. It was brand new. My erratic ejection issue sounds like many others: every 30-40 I receive a shell to the head. Not a problem, just annoying. The gun feeds fine and ejection does clear the action. It just is annoying when a shell will all of sudden bounce of your head, shoulders, and arms.

In my reading and research I have found this to be the common story. Others have experienced different, but this seems to be the prevalent issue. First the RSA was to blame. The 024 was released. Issues persisted. Next, the 336 ejector, which has been in Glocks for ages, was to blame. The 30274 ejector was released to solve ejection issues and so it did... Or so it seems. In my reading and research it seems that the 30274 only compensates for the real issue, which is the root of all the erratic ejection problems: a bad extractor. This is where my trail runs cold. To be fair I haven't tried much past this. However, the 30274 seems to make people happy even though the extractor is the real issue.

Some questions that I want to know is: what changed in the extractors? I have heard its MIM, others say a different cut. Would an LCI extractor from an earlier model fit in my Gen4? Is Glock doing anything to fix the real issue, the extractor, rather than just compensating for it?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

I got rid of my last Glock, a G34 late 2011 Gen3 because I couldn't stand getting pelted with brass. So now I am on the verge of purchasing a brand new G17 Gen4. I must be a glutton for punishment after reading these threads. This time I'll be using Winchester 124gr NATO so lets see if there is a difference. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have no idea what the answer is. You would have thunk that this issue would have been resolved by now. Seems like all of the "limp wristing is causing the problem" posters have found a different sandbox to play in. If you read some of Voyager's posts he definitely makes some excellent points about the slide cut out potentially being an issue. I don't want to misquote him, but he really knows what he is taking about and does a great job explaining stuff.

3. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Nobody knows it for sure what's going on here or when it will end. We can speculate only at this point. But, what I do know is that Glock just finished developing and testing a 5.56 full auto and a semi auto version rifle, yes a Glock rifle. I am not kidding. You'll see it soon.

4. Spartan24

Spartan24

The problem has been compensated for and all new Glocks manufactured in 2012 are being talked about as having issues resolved. Like you have said and I have found out, is that the issue isn't solved, but rather it is compensated for.

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

:dunno:

And how do you know about this?

6. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

He hears....."voices". :whistling: :supergrin:

:rofl:

7. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Site your sources or this is just another rumor.

8. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

This was happening with my Dept Issue Gen 4 which we got in 2011 It drew blood on a few of our foreheads. Any info on this would be great.

9. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

The entire town of Deutsch Wagram, Austria is talking about it. It's no big secret there. I grew up in a small neighbor village, but have friends and family in Deutsch Wagram.

10. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

I have a Glock 23 Gen 4 that I take casings to the forehead from. I like the pistol, but if I can't get the problem solved it very well may get replaced with a Sig 229.

11. .50 cal

.50 cal

Pics?

12. Spartan24

Spartan24

Want pics and talk of mystical beasts such as a Kraken, bigfoot, or a Glock carbine? Start another thread! This thread is about Glock's extractor problem. Please, stay focused! Lol

13. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

My Ejector is marked 1882 is that new or old? I Have the updated spring I guess judging by the marking I saw on another site.

14. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

The Froglube salesman told him. :whistling:

15. Wizz

Wizz

MIM is very cheap once the mold equipment is paid for, it seems it's cheaper for Glock to stamp out a new ejector to band-aid the problem (extractor) instead of going back to the old extractors. First they started lessening tension on the RSAs, then the new ejector...so now design/engineering wise it's a franken-gun. Probably under sprung from the original design intent when using SD ammo. They should of just cut their loses and dumped the MIM process for extractors once they realized they are the problem.

Spartan...I would just send it to Glock to put their latest update/ejector on it. It's also more incentive for the Sr management to actually 'fix' the root problem when they keep getting pistols back. Best of luck to you.

16. Spartan24

Spartan24

So is the problem the cut in the slide or the extractor itself? I aim to find out by trying to install an older extractor in my 34.

17. Spartan24

Spartan24

I have removed the extractors from my 34 (SN:RUL###, shooting with erratic ejection as stated above.) and my G19 (SN:NPF###, with normal very nice ejection.). My extractor differences are just like Voyagers. The 34 has a dip in the top of it and has a number "1" molded into it. The one from my 19, looks very similar minus the dip and a number "4" molded into it. Wear on the top is very similar, but wear on the bottom, where the dip is, is quite different. If Glock has been using MIM to make extractors, my thoughts are that they have been doing it for a while. Usually you hear a lot of complaints surrounding MIM parts, yet, you do not hear of many extractors breaking. IS the simple dip in the design to blame?

18. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

April 1st was like 8 days ago. :tongueout:

19. Wizz

Wizz

Glock started using MIM extractors since ~late 2010, that's when the issues started. MIM is fine for some parts, just not Glock extractors. The problem is two fold, the MIM process leaves inconsistent mold markings on the extractor making it a bit snug sometimes which effects function (hence some polishing their MIM extractor), the other problem is that the MIM extractors seem to need replacing every 2k+ rounds before brass starts flying into your face or FTEs flare up...w/o the updated ejector the MIM extractors are basically throw-aways. The updated ejector simply 'band-aids' the above issues that the MIM extractor present.

It boils down to the fact that Glock REALLY wants to be able to keep using MIM extractors due to the cost savings...they went as far as going through 4-5 different RSAs and a newly designed ejector to avoid going back to the old extractors that worked. Some say they received their new/recent Glocks with a non-dipped extractor, if this is a permanent switch on Glock's assembly line or if Glock was simply using up some old stock I do not know. hth

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  20. Spartan24

Spartan24

Upon further investigation tonight, I am finding that the extractor may not be to blame. Rather the extractor channel that was cut into the slide is what is causing the problems. It does not allow the extractor to tightly grip the case as in previous slides. Going on what I have found tonight in my research, this could be the correct diagnosis of the issue of erratic ejection.

My older, thus working just fine, extractor out of my G19 looks just the same as my 34's extractor minus the dip. I do not believe however that the extractors would function that differently. Further research into people replacing newer extractors with older produces mixed results. Some have problems cease, others, the problem remains. Same with polishing the extractor. It will not solve the issue.

The new 30274 ejector will solve the problems of the extractor not gripping the case strong enough, brought on by improper specs of the extractor channel in the slide.