close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

EOW: Texas DPS, Highway Patrol

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by scottydl, Oct 6, 2012.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    :fallenofficer:

My condolences.

After 35 years of service, 67 years of age is way too old to be a cop.

2. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    From what I was told he was a retire/rehire. TX DPS is big on rowing now and made it required PT. He got to 1600 meters and then had a heart attack on the rowing machine.

:fallenofficer:

3. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    I have a different view...

I don't know the specifics, but if that's what he wanted to do, then more power to him. There may have been limitations on duty, but he has a lot of experience to share.

On a related note,I remember reading a story about a retired Army dentist who volunteered to be reactivated for active duty and went to Afghanistan. He was something like 82!

4. I was going to mention about that and held back.

A few years back DPS got some funds/deal with Homeland Security/Border Patrol for extra support. It was like 500 to 1000 Troopers. I know a number of local Troopers that retired and rehired with the same rank and area. Now they were good in there day, but like most in their 50's are not at their prime. They also had the new PT tests (a few options IIRC based on age). It had a lot of the older worried, but they liked the deal they got to leave and come back.

I wonder if this will make any changes to what they were/are doing. Boxing had the "knock out" taken away.

5. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    I doubt it, I think DPS "fancys" themselves a bit too much and will continue with this, all the while cutting out shortened classes for laterals.

:fallenofficer: Trooper

6. old_pigpen

old_pigpen Huh? What?

Nov 4, 2007
    In a house
  7. 25pd

25pd

Mar 8, 2007
    pa
    R.I.P. Sgt. and at least you died still serving the people of Texas doing something you loved...

8. JC2317

JC2317

Oct 7, 2009
    North Carolina
    35 years... Thank You Sergeant. Prayers for you and your family.