close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

EOtech XPS vs 512 on MSAR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by beretta-neo, Jan 26, 2010.

1. beretta-neo

beretta-neo
    Expand Collapse

Tomac was nice enough to let me borrow is RX30 - I am so used to an Eotech on my PS90 - that I just can't get used to a single dot (like the RX30 or an Aimpoint). For me, it takes longer to find, and I tend to move it more in CQC than I do with the larger EOtech reticle.

Anyway - I think I will buy another EOtech for my MSAR - just a matter of the XPS or a 512/517 model.

The XPS reportedly will co witnesses exactly - does the 512 cowitness exactly too, or does it 1/3 co witness. I did see that the 517 does the 1/3 cowitness - but apparently this is because of a built in riser. So, that should put the 512 and the XPS at the exact same height, correct?

I found the stock MSAR optic to sit too low for me. I don't want to have the same issue if the XPS sits lower than a standard EOtech....

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mkmckinley

mkmckinley
    Expand Collapse

Get the XPS, you can just get a riser if you need it. The XPS is legitimately better in more than one way. I get to borrow one of the older Eotech's for free from my rich uncle and I still went out and bought my own XPS if that's worth anything.

3. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV
    Expand Collapse

You get regular co-witness unless you jump it with one of the risers...

4. beretta-neo

beretta-neo
    Expand Collapse

I just ordered one - I have a 511 EOtech and like it a lot, but hate the battery life issues on the 511. I almost went with the 512 - but the XPS will give me more free room on the rail. And, it will also not suffer from potential battery problems some people suffer from - since the battery on the XPS is sideways.

I was concerned that the XPS viewscreen might be smaller or sit lower - but when I looked at one thru a glass case last week at my gun shop - the glass size is the same. And from reading online today - it doesn't seem to sit lower than a 512.

So, we'll see how it goes :)

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

I ran my MSAR with an EoTech 552 for a little while, but that fat base was in the way when operating the charging handle. I swapped to an Aimpoint after beating up my knuckles during a couple of range trips.

6. internal

internal
    Expand Collapse

Why is your eotech so far back?

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

Anywhere I put it, it was in the way. If it's mounted forward, I had a hard time grabbing the charging handle to begin with. Farther back led to beat up knuckles and a harder time locking the bolt back. It just wasn't the right optic for that platform, in my opinion. The Aimpoint in a 30mm ring works much better for me. My ACOG works great also. Pretty much anything but the EoTech has worked fine for me.

8. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV
    Expand Collapse

You can see more of the world through it the closer it is to your eye. The benefits of a forward reciever mounting is that it balances the weapon better, (usually) maintaining most of the weight in line w/ the mag and BCG... that's if you don't have a super heavy barrel profile or a ton of accessories (or both!).

9. beretta-neo

beretta-neo
    Expand Collapse

On some guns, I like the EOtech further away - if give the illusion of the reticle being larger (filling up more of the class). I think this is better for faster CQC, but for long range shots - it is better to have the eotech closer.

I also ordered some magpul fold down sights for back up sights. I plan to leave room for them to fold down on the rail - but I'll have to put them on with the EOtech XPS, and then decide where I like it to sit (and still have room for the charging handle)

10. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV
    Expand Collapse

Acknowledge, but the ring is already big and I think acquisition is accelerated by how fast your eye picks the reticle up. Centering the target I think would be the same...

Although it's silly to argue about these things...

I do have a FWD mounted EOtech on my 16" gun, but only because I have the 3x magnifier behind it. I could also throw a PVS-14 in the same space, but that's only good for the defense/ static ops.

#10 KalashniKEV, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  11. internal

internal
    Expand Collapse

My buddy owns a new 517 and I can't even reproduce what you're talking about.

The EOTECH would have to be all the way to the rear without an BUIS to even get remotely close to what you're talking about.

12. MADBMW

MADBMW
    Expand Collapse

Are you operating the chargin handle with you firing hand or you support hand? I could see how the wide and set back 512 would possibly bang knuckes if you are bringing you support hand back to operate the charging handle like you should be. The only time you should be using you firing hand is to lock the bolt back when you have a double feed.

13. internal

internal
    Expand Collapse

ROFL I just noticed he wasn't talking about AR's.

NM plasticguy, I am dumb.

14. vettely

vettely
    Expand Collapse

Just got the Eotech XPS and love it :banana:.
    Also have a 512 which is a great optic.

15. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

No worries. I couldn't figure out what the confusion was, but that makes sense. :supergrin:

16. fightinfire921

fightinfire921
    Expand Collapse

Which XPS would you buy? 2-0, 2-2, 3-0, or 3-2. The prices I found on eBay are anywhere from $430.00 to $482.00. I need to make a choice.
    Thanks

#16 fightinfire921, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  17. beretta-neo

beretta-neo
    Expand Collapse

I went with the XPS2-0.

It is the standard eotech reticle (65 MOA circle and 1 MOA dot), and it is the non night sight version.

18. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Actaully the farther you move it forward the less of the EoTech's frame takes up of your vision and the more you see. Especially if you shoot both eyes open, and you should.

19. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV
    Expand Collapse

Nope.

20. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

OK.....:whistling: