Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

EOTech vs Aimpoint

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by locknload223, Jan 17, 2010.

1. I have an Aimpoint Comp M on my rifle and my buddy just picked up a rifle with an EOTech, not sure which model. Anyway, This was the first time I shouldered an EOTech and wow, I really liked it. It appeared as though my target aquisition was twice as fast and I really liked the larger window and increased light coming in the sight. I may see if he wants to trade. What do you guys think? This was just my first impression, anyone out there have experience with both? Thanks.
  2. reaper8154

Jan 26, 2008
    I use an Eotech because I like the reticle better. I also like Aimpoints for the battery life and the ruggedness. Choose the one you like and don't worry about it, they are both great sights.

3. rich52us

Mar 28, 2006
    WPB, FL
    I like the EOTech better for the reasons you stated above. The circle is quicker for me, and the 1 MOA dot gives more precision when needed.
  4. Well that's why I'm asking, to see if there are any important variables like battery life. As I said earlier, I didn't get which model his is but the reticle, outer ring, is fuzzy or more like a circle of lines going from inside out. Make sense? It's not a fine red reticle. Is that normal or should it be a fine circle. Maybe it was dropped? :faint:
  5. hurley842002

Nov 18, 2009
    Littleton, Co
    They are both really good sighting systems, and your above statement is really the only reason to choose one over the other, because YOU really liked it. I've shot with both, and I like target aquisition with the Eotech better, so thats what I own. You really can't go wrong with either one, whats the worst he can say, NO.
  6. BigDaddyK

Oct 13, 2002
    Cherry Point
    I think if you turn the brightness down you get a finer reticle. If it's cranked up high then it starts to fuzz like that.
  7. hurley842002

Nov 18, 2009
    Littleton, Co
    If you need ALOT of battery life for your application then maybe the Aimpoint is for you, however I can't think of many civilian applications where an Eotech wouldn't suffice. Even then, its a matter of remembering to turn off your Eotech when you aren't using it.
  8. No I guess battery life isn't a huge deal as I usually turn things off when I'm finished. I'll see if he wants my aimpoint.
  9. akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    I was looking to get an Aimpoint but I didn't feel like dishing out the extra funds for the mount which is sold separately. I ended up with the EOtech 512 and I am pleased with it. I have shot an AR equipped with an Aimpoint and they are excellent red dots. The only problem I see with the Aimpoint is that when you look down the sight you get tunnel vision due to the shape of the optic. With the EOtech your field of vision is much greater so its easier and faster to engage other targets. I do like Aimpoints for their incredible battery life!

Maybe I will buy an Aimpoint later down the road but for now EOtech rules!
  10. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    I prefer the single crisper dot of the aimpoint. The battery life is a bonus.
    The Eotech is a good sight and is more affordable for many people.
  11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Stop staring at the reticle and focus on your target. The reticle won't be fuzzy.
  12. raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    +1 on Eotech
  13. kgain673

Oct 8, 2007
    glen burnie, MD
    get what you want, you will be happier in the end. I like the aimpoints for me. The dot is crisp even though I have some eye problems, and the batteries can be left on while not is use for years. You can close up the caps and protect the lenses from rain and muck as well. I disagree with the tunnel vision comment, if you properly shoulder the firearm the same as you would if you did not have a red dot on the rifle you will be fine, these sights are meant to be used with both eyes open of course.
  14. PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I like the EoTech reticle, but my EoTech had a defect that caused it to drain the battery slowly even when turned off. You see a lot of other posts about that on and other forums. They are also known for shutting themselves off when struck hard enough, because the battery can bounce off the connection. Of course, they also have much less battery life.

We beat the crap out of our Aimpoints at work and never have a problem with them. We just change the battery once per year during the rifle's annual check-up. I've switched to Aimpoints on my personal rifles now also. I miss the EoTech reticle, but I trust the Aimpoint more.
  15. raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    did you try lithium batteries?
  16. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

I have lots of experience with an Aimpoint Comp ML2...Aimpoint makes very good stuff. I have also extensively used a Trijicon Reflex II ACOG.....H3 powered, small and durable. Not for everyone but I have had mine for about ten years and it rocks.

I am pricing around on an Eotech 512 right now.
  17. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I prefer the EOTech, and think the XPS is the only way to go. Same battery as most weaponlights, sideways mount so recoil can't futz any connections, and small size light weight.
  18. furioso2112

Dec 12, 2007
    EoTech is making different reticles now - you can choose to have the outer ring and dot, or just the dot, and even two dots (drop compensator). The EoTech is a 1 MOA dot, and the AimPoint is 2 - I would like an even smaller dot - it gets pretty big at 100 yards. I also prefer the EoTech's lower profile. I have the 2xAA model with ring and dot (had it for a couple years) - the battery life has never been a problem. I think the F revision was when they solved the battery drain issue. IIRC, they are rated for 800 hours or something - and I seem to recall that they turn off automatically at some point...not sure how long - 20 min., maybe 30? The dot gets fuzzier the more you crank it up (brightness) as stated previously. The brighter the light I am in, the more I have to crank it up to notice the fuzz, i.e.: if I turn it on in my basement in the dark, 1/2 way to full brightness might start to seem fuzzy, but if I take it outside on a sunny day, 1/2 way to full bright is not fuzzy at all.

I have been thinking about Aimpoints due to their higher reputation for sturdiness (although I have read several reports aobut the EoTech's sturdiness during rough use). I started looking today, and got to LaRue's website - they have great mounts, and their package with the CompM4 and QD mount seems to be the best price going.

For my EoTech, I bought a GGG QD mount (before I knew about LaRue, otherwise I would have bought theirs). It is a very decent mount, but I imagine side by side, LaRue would be clearly more sturdy. I do like the fact that I can mount the EoTech right on top of my rail - it keeps the low profile that I like - the Aimpoint seem too...'periscop-ish' if you know what I mean. Watch for EoTech's to come down in price soon - they just ran a big rebate promotion, so I wonder if they are about to release new options/models/pricing. Optics Planet and BoTach have great prices - OP includes a neoprene cover and free shipping (for a long time they did, anyway - not sure if they still are). BoTach - well...I have always had on time delivery, but lots of complaints about them btween a year and two years ago for charging upon purchase, then long waits until they got items in stock and sent them out. They will tell you if they have it in stock if you call them or use their online chat deal.

I have really liked the EoTech overall - no problems at all. I have not abused it all, tough, so its toughness is for others to recommend.

Oh - I also recently bought the GGG flip-up cover (its a front-rear one-piece 'set') - pretty chinsy for $40, but the best thing I have found. I never really trusted the neoprene cover - had to watch out for it every time I used it, and usually took it off and left it in the case while using the gun. Since the gun is in a safe or case when the cover is on, it's not really much protection. The flip-cover is a thoughtful design (front cover flips up and gives a bit of a sunshade, rear cover flips over on top of the sight). BoTach sells them too, I never really looked anywhere else for them (it was an add-on-to-save-shipping/always-kind-of-wanted-to-try-one-so-might-as-well-get-it deal).

I chose the AA model because when supplies are short, AA's are likely to be easier to find than lots of other batteries, and have a long shelf life. Also, there are LOTS of accessories that carry AA's - front grips, pistol grips, stocks - so it is easy, depending on your equipment, to carry spares. Not that I want to be changing batteries when I need to be on target, but it was part of my decision-making process.

I do not own and have never used an AimPoint.