close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Entry level 1911 capable of upgrades

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Usmcfox, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970
    Expand Collapse

I love to buy used Kimbers with discolored barrels. I just throw them in my blast cabinet and hit the barrel with glass beads at about 60psi and give them a nice matte finish. I have even run a couple over a felt polishing wheel and they cleaned up nicely. I have gotten some really good deals on these defective kimbers.

I have found the best way to avoid future "rust" is to apply a nice thin even coat of oil.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 DRAGON1970, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. mace85

mace85
    Expand Collapse
    NRA GOA USPSA

I just picked up an RIA compact. I know the officer sized 1911 may not be what your looking for. But I am quite impressed with it. I have fondled with some ATI's at a gun shop and I was also impressed. The STI spartan is a decent gun for the money too.

3. MajorD

MajorD
    Expand Collapse

with patience and searching find a good used Colt 80 series in that price range. All the other guns you mention are foreign made( do not think this means they are not well made- most are) of those you mention the sti spartan would be my choice- there'd never be any need to upgrade anything on one -they come set up pretty wel right out of the gate

4. DubfromGA

DubfromGA
    Expand Collapse

My Range Officer is the best value of any pistol I've owned.

Great trigger, highly accurate...crazy accurate, no FCS, no ambi, excellent sights....all I need to do is add a gold bead to the front sight.

[​IMG]

Zero regrets. Very pleased.

5. brickboy240

brickboy240
    Expand Collapse

Been rocking a TLE II Kimber down here in hot and humid Houston for years and never seen rust.

Blue Wonder Armadillo is your friend. Coat the barrel and you'll never see rust.

I was told that the early XDs also had slide rusting problems but again...Blue Wonder Armadillo and in 10 years I have never seen any rust.

If metals is going to rust....it WILL do it here....still no rust on the Kimber or XD.

Buy a Kimber and use this:

http://bluewonder.us/BlueWonderArmadillo.html

- brickboy240

6. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Yep I am south of Houston, nearer to the coast. We can rust anything baby! :rofl:

7. Usmcfox

Usmcfox
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely adore the sa range officer and if Hickok45 likes it it's more than good enough for me. And on the Kimber issue I went to the gunshot today and checked out an eclipse that had been in the counter for a while and low and behold rust on the bbl. that's truly disappointing for the money it's like buying a 2011 mustang with rust on the hood and the dealer telling you it's just cosmetic.

8. Walkertl

Walkertl
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

The top one is an ATI Compact in 45acp which I just picked up tonight. It will see the range tomorrow. Dry feeding, it strips and ejects snapcaps, round nose, and Hornady XTPs. With tax, I paid $463 out the door.

The bottom is an RIA Compact in 9mm, and it shoots beautifully. The two-tone was a bit hard to find, and I picked it up used.

Fit and finish on both are very nice, slide to frame on both are a tight fit, no slop. Triggers are both smooth and break clean.

The RIA has a 4" bull barrel, the ATI is a standard 4.25" barrel with bushing and 1/2 length guide rod.

The 9mm holds 9+1, the .45acp holds 8+1. The RIA weighs 2lbs 10oz, and the ATI weighs 2lbs 13oz. For comparison, a Glock 23 loaded weighs 2lbs, a full size MilSpec Springer loaded weighs 2lbs 15oz, and a Sig RCS with it's alloy frame weighs 2lb 4oz loaded.

Each one came with one mag, the RIA came in a plastic carry case, the ATI came in a padded cardboard box.

So far, I'm happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.

Walker