close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Entitlement ......?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dango, Oct 14, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Right. Because while you retire at 55, the rest of us have to work until we're 70 to pay for it.

You're ambivalence toward the people who put food in your mouth is disturbing. Here's hoping it doesn't come back to bite you at some point. :wavey:

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

And for that, they are paid.

3. podwich

podwich

If they were investing in a private retirement plan, they would be able to leave that money to their heirs/some person or group of their choice (well, subtracting death taxes, that is).

4. Averageman

Averageman

I agree with this, I got paid less than $600.00 a month when I joined.
    I did get a H.S. Diploma and an AA and a BS while in without using a nickle of the GI Bill because I was not eligable for it.
    I figure you got your return on your Money out of my 20+ years. I went to school nights, weekends and paid out of pocket for my books and supplies.
    I ended up with a degree in Business and used a lot of what I learned to make my service to my Country a little better.

5. podwich

podwich

Maybe if the money was invested. It's not. I agree with you that compounded interest is the way to go-- private retirement plans FTW. :)

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

You probably also see money being taken out for "Income Tax". Planning to file for that too?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  7. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

I don't solely depend on the 401k. I also hope to have housing investments (rental properties) a fully funded Roth IRA in totally different investments than my 401k, and the contributions that my wife makes to her 401k again, totally different investments.

It's all about diversity to survive the down times...and quite a bit of luck.

8. bmoore

bmoore

Lol, fair enough. I know we will not agree on retirement plans for people so there is no need to go any further.:wavey:

I put food in my own mouth. I seeked out a job with pay and benefits that I wanted. I went to school for years to do what I do, I worked for 7 bucks an hour as an EMT and was a volunteer fireman for years. Nobody came over one day when I was getting out of high school and gave me my job.

9. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

As someone else has already stated...these people are compensated for their time. If they weren't being paid enough, then people wouldn't accept the job. It's the laws of economics at work.

I don't agree with changing the agreed to terms when these people are already 25 years into their career. But for the young guys, it has to change or we're all going to be bankrupt.

10. bmoore

bmoore

Our labor group is negotiating to tier our benefits as I type this. Not all unions are evil, we are trying to bridge the gap as well. We have taken numerous pay cuts, we are trying to do our part.

11. dango

dango

SHhhhhhhh ! We already are , they just ain't tellin.
    Why do you think gold went from $400 ozs. to over $1600 ?

Again , SHhhhhh !

12. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Well, I'm not bankrupt... :whistling:

13. dango

dango

Yeah , Thanks again for footing the bill.........!

14. Averageman

Averageman

Nobody came over one day when I was getting out of High School and gave me my job?
    Hmmmmmmmm.

15. bmoore

bmoore

Thats when I started my career path. I got hired 5 years later, I did not dick around like most 18-22 year old folks do. I knew what I wanted to do.

16. dango

dango

Shhhhhhhhhh..............! Don't tell anybody....SHhhhhhh...!

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

If you were not paying attention at the last - "Raise the national debt limit fiasco" you will get a second chance to see reality first hand in January.

If the government can't borrow money - no one gets their ENTITLEMENT checks.

No social security, no medicare, no GI benefits, no food stamps, no unemployment payments.

At some point our debt will hit the point where even if they raise the debt limit no one will loan us money.

I say it is when the interest payments to service the debt = 30% of total tax revenue.

Current system that is at $750 billion in interest - we now pay about $250 billion - but interest rates are at historic lows.

At the historical average of 5% our interest payments next year on current debt would be $800+ billion.

We are already heading in the danger zone of insolvency -

The FED may be able to keep interest rates low for a few more years - but not forever -

I think we still have time - if someone in DC had a few ounces of courage - but they don't.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Sucks to be you guys. I never really did anything. Screwed around in HS. Never went to a university. Never got a job. Just kind of hung out and played video games and drank. Then one day out of the blue, a company offered me a job a and pretty decent money. Something about being an engineer for pacemakers. Dont really know what its about. They just started sending me checks and I didnt even have to show to work.

19. Bensmiata

Bensmiata

I sense a lot of resentment from folks in this thread that will they had the same opportunities that service members do since they can look back on their lives and go "I really shouldn't have ****ed off and dicked around maybe then I would have been better off like the Joe who put in his time and hard work while risking his life".

Thanks American taxpayer, you have made me what I am today and I will continue to reap the benefits for the rest of my life.

20. dango

dango

Bravo.......I did it , my parents did it , we all payed and payed
    and I'm not crying the blues. Like gravity , it just was and is
    so's cry on........!