close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Enough about prizes and mail(for now)...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by S.Kargoh, Oct 15, 2012.

1. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Feb 1, 2005
    WA
    Let's talk about shooting in this thread.

What's your favorite drill to practice at the range?

How many rounds do you fire at the range ?

Anyone else finding that it is costing more and more to shoot (ammo costs)?

What reloading equip would be good for us gssfers? That would balance cost and production abilities.

When will my prize be mailed ?:tongueout:

2. Melissa5

Melissa5

Feb 4, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Oh Lord! You've done it now. If your reloading equipment is not blue, then it won't work properly. :rofl: Currently, I use a Lee Classic turret, but have been considering a Dillon or Hornday progressive. Stay far away from a Lee Loadmaster.

I usually fire between 50-100 rounds once or twice a week. Since I reload, the price is not too bad. The target that I like to shoot has five 5-6" circles on them. I equate those cirlces to "Glock the plates" and will shoot them from 7-25 yards. Closer for speed and farther out for accuracy.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

3. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I had a Lee Loadmaster that ran fine for me. But I recently sold all my reloading equipment to make room the baby stuff... So I'm been buying the cheap Russian stuff.

4. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Feb 1, 2005
    WA
    I have a lee single stage press and I used to load 45 pistol on it on college. For some reason, I have not been able to force myself to start loading pistol again on it. I shudder at the thought. I am thinking of upgrading. Maybe I will keep loading rifle on it, and get some sort of blue machine for cranking out pistol rounds.

In answer to my other questions:
    I like to shoot the "dot torture" drill a lot. It's a good mix of a lot of different skills. Not all useful for gssf (mag changes and weak hand stuff), but it's good practice.

I shoot about 60-100 rds per practice session. I may practice about once a month with live fire. Sometimes not even that, sometimes a bit more before a match.

I try to dry fire regularly, but even get burnt out of that occasionally.

5. Melissa5

Melissa5

Feb 4, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Did you ever pop any primers in your Loadmaster? With it sizing and priming at the same time, I could never tell when one was about to blow. Made me kind of flinchy. :wow:

6. G21H30

G21H30

Apr 6, 2001
    Kansas
    I am fortunate to have a private shooting range set up to practice all three of the GSSF stages. My wife and I usually pick one COF to shoot at each practice secession and do this multiple times. As it gets closer to the match date we practice all three COF just as we would do in a match. I load all of our ammo both practice and match on Dillon 550's and yes the price of components has been going up recently.
    Since shooting is a perishable skill and the fact that I just recently made master I'm commited to doing this a least weekly in order to improve my scores.
    [​IMG]

7. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I would love to have property to shoot on near me.

ahh... what i did was de-prime and resize in station 1 so that all station 2 did was prime.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    If you're not reloading... your wasting money.

I load 100 9mm for less than $11.
    That is using 147grain moly coated bullets from Bear Creek. Jacketed would be more like $150 per 100 these days?

Considering that WWB from Wally World is like $25 per 100, that's some sizeable savings.

It'll take some time to offset the cost of your press, but if you shoot very much, it doesn't take long.

9. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Jul 3, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I agree with Ron. i started on a lee loadmaster. it ran great for me for almost 2 years. within the last few months i started.getting too much slop in the machine when loading 9mm. I bought a 650 and let me tell you it was money well spent.

it depends on how much you shoot to justify what you want to spend to get into reloading. do you shoot 1000 rds a month, or 1000 rds a year. I cant imagine loading pistol ammo on anything but a progressive press.

I like to shoot 5toG and the plates for practice. consitancy in practice will translate.to better times in comp. If you dont have a.timer, i would invest in one. every 10th of a sec u save to the first shot will pay dividends on your total time

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Feb 1, 2005
    WA
    So, I was looking at the 550 or the square deal just now.any input on either of those?

11. Seale Team

Seale Team

Aug 20, 2012

What ya want to know other than price and specs thats on their web site? I got both long with a 1050, long story.

First things to come to my mind...You loading more than one caliber? Plan on it? Flexible medium hands? You'll need them IMO with a Square Deal. Money an issue?

12. Melissa5

Melissa5

Feb 4, 2010
    NE Georgia
    I was told not to get the square deal because of the proprietary dies and I don't think the 550 auto indexes. If I were going to go blue, I would have to get the 650.

13. 1) I have so many - or more than enough - matches and match practices to fill up my weeks and month that my 'drills' are IDPA, Steel, occassional Bowling Pins and Bullseye, and a GSSF match here and there. Not much extra time left except some plinking at the range, or checking sights, or chronying loads... I have unlimited access to my club's ranges and keys to take advantage at any time - but am OUT of time to use the benefit much.

2) On any old practice or match day (2 or 3 a week), I'll shoot perhaps 125-150 rounds.

3) Nah - I started reloading this past March and ammo has gone down - and what I shoot is fine-tuned for what I do and need.

4) If you ask here (and as Melissa implied), you have to drink the BLUE KoolAid. If you ask unclebob, nothing beats the 650, but many use the 550. I have a 650 and if I did it over, I'd buy a 1050 instead - but I'm kinda crazy.

As Dave said, you MUST have a progressive unless you have rediculous amounts of time to waste, or shoot perhaps 100 rounds each week - tops. The 550 is progressive, but NOT auto-indexing and has 4 stations vs. 5 stations in the 650. The 5th station can come into play with a powder check alarm OR a bullet feeder. If you want both a powder check and a bullet feeder, 5 stations aren't enough unless you seat and crimp with one die.

Square D - yep, non-standard dies.

You should hang out on the GT Reloading thread, read the Stickies, and do some searches.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

5) Dunno. Still waiting for Dawsonville pistol cert. :supergrin:

14. Noponer

Noponer

Apr 5, 2006
    North Georgia
    Don't make fun of the "real" loader. :tongueout:

I have used a Dillon RL550B for 19 years & loaded thousands of rounds on it. It has not been perfect, but darn near. I could still call Dillon today & tell them a part is broken or malfunctioning... & have the part in my hands in a few days at no cost! But a broken part has never happened & the couple of times I thought I needed a part, the tech told me what to do to eliminate my problem. However, they did send me a couple of free replacement parts for wearable items.

I think the 550 is the best combination of cost vs. production, ruggedness & versatility (loads more types of cartridges than any of the other Dillon loaders... & the Square Deal does only pistol rounds). I would not buy a more expensive, elaborate machine just to get auto-indexing. If you want the additional bells & whistles of a 650 or 1050, then the auto-index feature is a nice bonus.

15. But when you need an extra station (or 2), the 550 quickly becomes a dead end. Obviously, many people go decades without that requirement, but then, many people reload for years on a single stage press and I bought one of those to simply dedicate to bullet pulling.

It all depends on how many various calibers, your quantity requirements, and how much of your life you want to spend sitting (or standing) at a press.

16. Noponer

Noponer

Apr 5, 2006
    North Georgia

As I said..... "If you want the additional bells & whistles".

Apparently you do. I don't - & many other shooters may not either. As you say, everyone is different. I just like to think most would want to be more like me than like you, Kitty. :tongueout:

I stand by my opinion.

17. I agree Ken, I agree... :wavey:

k

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  18. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

Oct 25, 2009
    Southwest Idaho
    I own a 550B and a Square Deal B, both are good machines. Both average 200 - 300 rounds per hour for me, but I am slow and I take my time to make sure I see the new primer in the 550 primer cup (can't see it in the SDB, but you can feel it seat), look into the case for the dispensed powder, and include the time I take to fill the primer tubes and check each cartridge with a case gauge. In just a few hours I have enough rounds put together for a couple months of practice sessions or GSSF matches. I leave the SDB set up for .45ACP loads and my 550 gets switched between, 9mm, 40S&W, and .223 Rem. Note that the SDB is only for pistol calibers. I should add that I own a Lee Loadmaster as well, it is a good machine for the money, but I like my Dillons better.

It would be nice to upgrade to a 650, but you are looking at almost a $Grand just to get into that machine (with casefeeder). Unless I start shooting more often, then it isn't worth the money for me right now. My money has been going towards primers, powder, and lead lately, so it isn't likely that I will be able to save up enough for a new press. Also, I enjoy reloading and casting bullets, so it doesn't bother me that I cannot crank out record amounts of ammo in an hour, if it takes longer and you enjoy it, you win. :)

If you can find a Dillon used you can save some money on the up front costs especially if the press is in bad shape, they come with the best warranty in the world.

Give me a call S.Kargoh if you want to chat about reloading. :cool:

19. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    I own a 550b and I would recommend it to anyone.
    When's your prize coming? Don't know but I got my cert from Marietta a few days ago. Here's to my new Gen 4 G19!!! :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
    :tempted: decisions, decisions:tongueout: